Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

looked underneath the car and oil pan is soaked

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 06:18 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acenase
Here's an update... I took the plastic cover off and sprayed the whole engine with the hose and degreaser and turned the engine on. after everything dried I looked underneath the car and I saw a little oil seeping out from right below the LOWER PULLEY. Does anyone know if this is a main seal or what part is this leaking from? I checked beneath the car and no oil was really dripping, I dont know why all of a sudden it stopped when I just added 2 quarts of Oil and it was completely gone. I poured 1 more quart of oil in and after a week the dipstick still shows it at the same spot. I haven't been driving the car - so maybe it only leaks when I drive the car??
Front Mail seal is leaking, I'm about to change mine as well I have a terrible leak at the FMS and Cam seals, bring to a shop and have them do it.

Dude I think you are over filling your car with oil, dont just blindly add oil it is going to make things much much worse. I have had the same leak for some time now and I have not lost anywhere near a quart of oil let alone 2 quarts. IF you are loosing that much oil it would be on the bottom of your splash plate.
Old 05-29-09, 05:39 PM
acenase
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's leaking next to the LOWER PULLEY next to the small hole (what is that hole anyway??) I'm assuming this lower pulley is the crank shaft pulley? This is just a Crankshaft Pulley Seal Leak correct? Because a Front or Rear Main Seal Leak would be from the side wouldn't it? I'm thinking I just need to buy a new Crankshaft SEAL that goes around the pulley to fix this leak....Here's a pic

Just 3 questions
1) how much bolts is there or where to see a Diagram or Schematics to show how to remove this Lower bottom pulley?
2) After the Crankshaft Pulley comes off, what else needs to be done to replace this seal?
3) Just making sure, this isn't a Front or Rear main seal, is it? Because if it's dripping right in the middle and I think it's because the Seal is broke & just needs a new one.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by acenase; 05-29-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 05:24 PM
camer0nn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by acenase
It's leaking next to the LOWER PULLEY next to the small hole (what is that hole anyway??) I'm assuming this lower pulley is the crank shaft pulley? This is just a Crankshaft Pulley Seal Leak correct? Because a Front or Rear Main Seal Leak would be from the side wouldn't it? I'm thinking I just need to buy a new Crankshaft SEAL that goes around the

Just 3 questions
1) how much bolts is there or where to see a Diagram or Schematics to show how to remove this Lower bottom pulley?
2) After the Crankshaft Pulley comes off, what else needs to be done to replace this seal?
3) Just making sure, this isn't a Front or Rear main seal, is it? Because if it's dripping right in the middle and I think it's because the Seal is broke & just needs a new one.
Hey Ace how did you get on with the seal replacement? I have an identical leak to you, so checkin out info before I go ahead with it.
Was it the crankshaft seal?
Old 09-12-13, 06:46 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this is why i got rid of my LS400 i didn't have the knowledge to fix it at the time, and i didn't have money for it to get fixed.
Old 09-16-13, 01:13 PM
camer0nn
Driver School Candidate

hmmmm I'd rather no get rid of mine just yet. I have the time to do the crank shaft seal but if I have to take that many parts off I might as well do the water pump and timing belt, idlers and tensioners. It seems stupid to me to put the old bits back on if I have to replace the crank shaft seal and have the engine stripped back that much

I don't want to take that much off it and find that it isn't that seal. That's why I was wondering how Ace got on?
Old 09-29-13, 09:26 AM
SportC400
Rookie

Search gurus are there any threads out there about fixing this particular leak and if not what steps do I need to take to fix this? mine is leaking from the same spot
Old 09-30-13, 12:04 PM
camer0nn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SportC400
Search gurus are there any threads out there about fixing this particular leak and if not what steps do I need to take to fix this? mine is leaking from the same spot
This thread seemed to be pretty dead so I started another to confirm my leak

Here is one on replacing the front crank seal

If you need to see what to remove prior to the crank seal have a look on lexls page

Mine is now apart and I'm waiting for the timing belt parts to arrive
Good luck
Old 09-30-13, 04:57 PM
SportC400
Rookie

Thanks for the response that is everything I needed to know. Not the news I wanted to hear but at least I know the steps I need to take to tackle this issue now. My timing belt and a number of other routine items need replacing anyway being an 18 year old car with a 115k and never had them done. I guess I will be adding this to the top of the list good luck with your car.