Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 06:53 AM
junkyard03
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300bigtx
2.5" cat back to dual apexi n1's

any sound clip with this setup , or any one else running this .
Old 01-06-11, 09:01 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

My single side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCDZ0mpsa3E
Old 01-17-11, 09:38 AM
clallred
Driver School Candidate

I'm slightly appalled by MOST of what I see on here! Turning beautiful SC300/400s into ricers with those really horrible looking pipes. A couple of you on the other hand have been smart: hid the mufflers and used tips that were similar to but obviously different and still nice looking. To see any more piping than is already visible on these beautiful cars would be a disgrace, good sounding or not. Think CLEAN.

On the bright side, to each his own. Glad we don't all do the same thing, that way we can all think we have the best of the crop!

Sound: Not sure why some of you are going for the truck sound? Tons of the videos posted are so throaty it's like you're driving a truck. I've deleted my resonators on my 1995 SC400 with 52K miles and it's about as close to perfect as I can imagine. It's a smooth and solid sound, NOT like a truck, but like a sports/race car. I worry about changing our my mufflers for fear I'll loose the cleanness of the sound.

Props to Son Gokou, SC_coupe, CP_Ree, Blkexcoupe, and ckoax for keeping things classy and decent looking. Sorry to all the others, nothing personal.

Tip: hide the freaking pipes, mufflers, etc.
Old 01-18-11, 07:27 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You can have your cake and eat it too.

Here's my car launching on a 10.44 pass through a 4" dp/mp, 3" exhaust pipes, and Vibrant Performance mufflers:

It looks stock and sounds great, too!

-scott
Old 01-23-11, 03:53 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ awesome pic Scott
Old 01-24-11, 12:06 PM
jaecques
Driver School Candidate

hmmm i really dont think these cars suit the big fart cannons, not to mention fart cannons that are on 45 degree angles. Oh well, whatever turns your crank i guess.. ill be doing my exhaust shortly . i'm definitely going with a concealable muffler with a classier tip, because i think it will keep the VIP look as well as keep the heat off my ***.(theyll find any reason to pull over a kid in a nice car, i swear). i also cant seem to find a definitive answer to my question "what is the diameter of my sc4s exhaust?" from what ive seen some people say 2" and others 2.25". 2.25" makes more sense and im really hoping it is because i dont want to have to build an entire header back system. i just want to squeeze as many mpgs out of this as possible and get a little bit more growl. i dont plan on any f/i or crazy mods as its my first sc so i think mostly stock (other than new cats, x-pipe and mufflers) will do for now.

oh btw, does anyone have any past experience with the borla xr-1s on an sc4? ive heard it on a miata with a 1uz swap and it sounded MEAN but any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 01-25-11, 09:39 AM
ckoax
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the mention Scott. Very well said. I am honored to be included in that group! I can't think of a replacement for the '92-'00 SC400. Not with the combination of a super refined V8, comfort, coupe styling, reliability and affordability. The next generation SC is just too girlly for me. So please guys, don't butcher them all up! Do that to the throngs of Hondas and Saturns out there. The SC is something special.
Old 01-25-11, 03:09 PM
EastSC3
Driver

Custom Exhaust done by a Local Shop around me.
3" Mid pipe to 2.5" Y pipe to 4" tips in the rear.

Took the video after a storm in New England.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/v...63593&comments

You might have to log into Facebook to see it.
Old 02-04-11, 06:09 PM
Kruper
Driver School Candidate

I'm really digging the sound the SC400 makes without the resonators. How much would it cost for me to do so?

Last edited by Kruper; 02-04-11 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-05-11, 04:34 AM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ckoax
So please guys, don't butcher them all up! Do that to the throngs of Hondas and Saturns out there. The SC is something special.
Ahh so refreshing to hear someone say that. Unfortunately you won't win. 90% of the mods I see to these cars are the same tasteless mods you see on the swarms of Hondas and Nissans. Don't get me wrong, those cars can be done right too, but it's just not very often.
Old 02-07-11, 10:45 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm slightly appalled by MOST of what I see on here! Turning beautiful SC300/400s into ricers with those really horrible looking pipes...

...Props to Son Gokou, SC_coupe, CP_Ree, Blkexcoupe, and ckoax for keeping things classy and decent looking. Sorry to all the others, nothing personal.
Thank you sir

...So please guys, don't butcher them all up! Do that to the throngs of Hondas and Saturns out there. The SC is something special.
I find this to be an interesting debate, because my SC400 has just has the tips with the modified pipes off the stock mufflers for about 2 years now and I'm still really satisfied with the look of them. Here's a picture from this summer.

My other car came with an A'pexi catback setup installed on it. Typically I'm not a fan of a single exhaust, but the rear bumper is right for it, and I do have to admit I really like the sound -- very deep. I'm satisfied with it for the most part so I'll leave it for the time being, but on the other hand part of me wants to swap the 97+ rear and revert to a dual exhaust setup someday.

Old 02-27-11, 10:41 AM
kapetajr
Pole Position

stock dp with cat, gutted second cat, 3 inch piping to N1 muffler.

Going to be coverted to 3.5 inch from down pipe back to 3.5 inch duals 3 resonators, no cats, no mufflers.

video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGW7dtxfKPM

Last edited by kapetajr; 02-27-11 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 08:57 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blitz Nur Spec axle back bone stock,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrSu--HooqQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDmN_Ua1vCY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SJtMbVxI_o
Old 03-06-11, 06:56 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts