Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sticking in Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 09:53 PM
MrSatoV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still waiting to hear what the solution is, to see if it is something I can do myself. I have gotten pretty good at managing the problem though, mostly by manual shifting and acting like OD is 4th gear.

I have another issue and I'm wondering what's related... my brake light comes on a lot. It comes on under hard acceleration, or is it when I'm done with hard acceleration? Anyway, I can actually tap the brake and get it to turn off. I think there's a situation that I can get it to come on using the brakes too. I'll troubleshoot tomorrow to be more precise. At first I thought everything might be related to a vacuum leak. Brake fluid level is good, as with all other fluid levels.
Old 04-04-11, 09:56 AM
MrSatoV
Driver School Candidate

Update: I put in some Slick 50® High Mileage Automatic Transmission Treatment and it helped quite a bit. That tells me it is most certainly NOT the ECU. I'm guessing it is a seal somewhere, and since people are suggesting the valve body, I'm thinking that is the most likely culprit. The Slick 50 gunk is pretty thick, so it probably helps seal leaky O rings or other seals.

I guess I'm going to have to start another thread for the brake light thing.
Old 04-05-11, 08:31 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

transmission treatment on these trannys(toyota for that matter) does more bad than good I hear...
Old 04-13-11, 08:05 AM
MrSatoV
Driver School Candidate

That's probably true of any transmission you intend to keep for a while. My plan is to eventually (hopefully sooner than later) do the swap to manual. I'm crossing my finger this one lasts until then. If not, I'll have to do the rebuild myself... which I REALLY dread doing. I actually love doing the actual repair work, just not the part of taking it out and putting it back in. If this was a keeper tranny I'd never have put something like that in it.