Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need help asap, electrical issues inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 04:55 PM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help asap, electrical issues inside!

I was cruising down the road today, went to use my signal and soon as I hit the lever all my interior power died! Radio, hvac, all dashlights gone. The car was however still running? Soon as I shut it off, the car will not restart. This happened one time last week and I thought nothing of it, thought it was just a fluke. Interior chime works, tele wheel works as do the power seats also work. What is going on here??!

Thanks for any help.

-chris
Old 06-19-09, 06:04 PM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

Car is a 99 sc 300. No recent work done or anything just daily driver.
Old 06-20-09, 12:33 PM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

I replaced the negative cable on the battery and I still have the same problems. no dash lights, car won't start, no hvac, no radio, no power windows.

I've tried searching and have gotten nowhere
Old 06-20-09, 01:48 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Check battery voltage.

Electrical failures while driving point to alternator problems. If your alternator craps out, it doesn't charge your battery while driving.
Old 06-21-09, 10:42 AM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

battery voltage is 12.4, brand new napa battery as of like 3 months ago. I don't have complete power loss, the car still has power seats, power tilt wheel, interior lights, chimes, headlights work. There just seems to be a short somewhere causing the dash/hvac/radio/power windows not to work and the car not to start. I can get a video of what the car is doing if that will help?

-Chris
Old 06-21-09, 10:45 AM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Check battery voltage.

Electrical failures while driving point to alternator problems. If your alternator craps out, it doesn't charge your battery while driving.
Another thing to add to this, when the car lost dash power, the car still ran and drove perfectly fine, granted i had a lack of power assist steering. If I wouldn't have shut the car off, I could of drove it home with no problems, just would of had no gauges/radio/windows or hvac.

Old 06-21-09, 12:16 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

no powersteering? Did you check your accessory belt? Having it snap can also turn off everything. Hvac compressor, alternator, powersteering are ran by it. It may be a long shot, but it won't take but a second to inspect that.

Other than that I would start pulling fuses.
Old 06-21-09, 03:35 PM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
no powersteering? Did you check your accessory belt? Having it snap can also turn off everything. Hvac compressor, alternator, powersteering are ran by it. It may be a long shot, but it won't take but a second to inspect that.

Other than that I would start pulling fuses.

Belt is fine. I only lost partial power to some things inside the car.

-All fuses are good
-battery is good
-replaced negative cable for the battery
-belt is fine

I was driving along normally when i hit my turn signal to turn into a park, when i hit the lever, my dash lights and gauges went out along with my radio/hvac/power windows. The car stayed running at that time. I pulled into a parking lot and shut the car down. dash lights stayed off and the car would not restart.

Has ANYONE had an issue like this before???
Old 06-24-09, 12:07 PM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

Anyone have any other insight to this problem?
Old 06-24-09, 12:13 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

You would need to check the power cable for the battery because those they do get loose over time. you would have to check from point A to point B from end to end.
Old 06-24-09, 12:23 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar issue with the lights flickering like strobe lights after I hit my turn signal and right before I got my alarm put in. I have a 97 SC300.

Are you running H.I.D.'s? If so, make sure you increased the fuse you are running them off of (i.e. if you are running a 15amp fuse stock under the fogs and you plug H.I.D.'s, up it to 20amps). I did that and the problem was solved.

Other than that, I can only agree with previous posts regarding the belt, fuses and alternator/battery checks...sorry bro...i know that sucks.
Old 06-24-09, 01:57 PM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
You would need to check the power cable for the battery because those they do get loose over time. you would have to check from point A to point B from end to end.
I replaced ther terminal.

I have power in various places inside the car.

I have:

power seats
telescoping wheel
interior lights work (dome/mirrors)
trunk pop and gas door pop work

Headlights still works, tail lights work

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
I had a similar issue with the lights flickering like strobe lights after I hit my turn signal and right before I got my alarm put in. I have a 97 SC300.

Are you running H.I.D.'s? If so, make sure you increased the fuse you are running them off of (i.e. if you are running a 15amp fuse stock under the fogs and you plug H.I.D.'s, up it to 20amps). I did that and the problem was solved.

Other than that, I can only agree with previous posts regarding the belt, fuses and alternator/battery checks...sorry bro...i know that sucks.
I do have HID's but they are run off the battery, the stock plugs are the trigger for the relays, that's it.

my belt isn't broken, all my fuses are good, my terminals on my battery are new, my negative cable is new 2 gauge cable and the alternator tested fine.

I have power inside the car, just not at the dash where I need it.
Old 06-24-09, 03:05 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the infamous electrical ghosts, but rarely do I hear about them on newer SC such as your 99. Try cleaning the grounding points yet? Any oil from the distributor leaking onto your alternator?
Old 06-24-09, 03:19 PM
DOHCZ34
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheMole
Sounds like the infamous electrical ghosts, but rarely do I hear about them on newer SC such as your 99. Try cleaning the grounding points yet? Any oil from the distributor leaking onto your alternator?
My sc300 doesn't have a distirbutor

Update though, I pulled the starter relay and jumper'd it and the car starts and runs. I still don't have power to my dash/windows/radio/hvac/locks...
Old 06-24-09, 03:40 PM
ucfa4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is most likely a problem with you interior wire harness, if it becomes unplugged none of the dash, or radio will work. Your seats and doors run off a different harness. As far as you losing power steering i have no idea bc that runs off the acc belt.

Quick Reply: need help asap, electrical issues inside!