Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Requesting Reviews on Electric Fans: your experience, your thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 12:51 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
there's a writeup on altima fans floating around here somewhere.
yea its in the Junk Yard Fans thread
Old 02-15-10, 01:26 PM
BoostedSC3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went electric fans when i got a call to a buddy with a 96 supra turbo.. he was getting on the highway good and fast and the factory 14 year old piece of plastic fan came apart. Broke the shroud dented the hood where the blade came up and broke the mounting ears for the waterpump off the block.. if it wern't for some creative welding it would be a trashed block. The clutch fans are great but plastic can only be heated so many times. and spun so fast.. before you have a problem..

that problem cost him upwards of 2 grand in welding paint and body work..

Mike
Old 02-15-10, 06:28 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

there's a writeup on altima fans floating around here somewhere.
LexusFTW, do you still have the stock setup?
Old 02-16-10, 08:05 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by madmax98
LexusFTW, do you still have the stock setup?
sorry, no.
Old 02-17-10, 08:20 AM
madmax98
Instructor

sorry, no.
No, i wasn't asking to buy it, i was just wondering what you have on your car
Old 02-17-10, 09:34 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

LOL
On the 400, I have dual 14" zirgo fans. on the 300, I have oem 2004 altima fans.

No, i wasn't asking to buy it, i was just wondering what you have on your car

Last edited by LexusFTW; 02-17-10 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 01:09 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Here's an old picture of my fan setup on the 400.
Attached Thumbnails Requesting Reviews on Electric Fans: your experience, your thoughts...-img_0161s-medium-.jpg  
Old 02-17-10, 05:56 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Here's an old picture of my fan setup on the 400.
very nice, do you prefer the Zirgo's or the Altima's? And what radiator is that? i'm trying to configure a bulletproof cooling system for the track, that's why i'm asking.
Old 02-18-10, 08:10 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

very nice, do you prefer the Zirgo's or the Altima's? And what radiator is that? i'm trying to configure a bulletproof cooling system for the track, that's why i'm asking.
I would do the Zirgo setup over the Altimas any day. The Altima fans were a cheap option and work great for my daily driven 300. I wouldn't trust them on the 400.

I've had multiple radiator/fan setups from stock radiator/stock fan, PWR radiator/PHR fan shroud, PWR radiator/stock fan and now my current setup, Fluidyne radiator/Zirgo fans.

I wasn't satisfied with the performance of the PHR fan shroud. It didn't pull as much air as I liked. I like the universal fit of the fans ON the radiator.

What setup are you considering?
Old 02-25-10, 09:57 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
I initially had the fans switched on with a relay and temp switch located in the radiator. I have recently switched over to a PWM controller that varies the speed of each fan, and switches both fans on with the AC.

gadgetSC
Sorry but what's a PWM controller and where can I get one?
Old 02-25-10, 10:05 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Originally Posted by BoostedSC3
i went electric fans when i got a call to a buddy with a 96 supra turbo.. he was getting on the highway good and fast and the factory 14 year old piece of plastic fan came apart. Broke the shroud dented the hood where the blade came up and broke the mounting ears for the waterpump off the block.. if it wern't for some creative welding it would be a trashed block. The clutch fans are great but plastic can only be heated so many times. and spun so fast.. before you have a problem..

that problem cost him upwards of 2 grand in welding paint and body work..

Mike
That's due to a bad fan clutch. Fan was basically spinning at engine speed and exploded. Not a common occurence but does happen. That's why preventative mantainence is a must
Old 02-26-10, 02:33 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

I would do the Zirgo setup over the Altimas any day. The Altima fans were a cheap option and work great for my daily driven 300. I wouldn't trust them on the 400.

I've had multiple radiator/fan setups from stock radiator/stock fan, PWR radiator/PHR fan shroud, PWR radiator/stock fan and now my current setup, Fluidyne radiator/Zirgo fans.

I wasn't satisfied with the performance of the PHR fan shroud. It didn't pull as much air as I liked. I like the universal fit of the fans ON the radiator.

What setup are you considering?

I am currently running a griffin rad and will be changing it to a mishimoto one i was planing on doing the IS/GS300 fans but would you recommend the zirgo fans over the oem ones for daily use ???
Old 02-26-10, 02:49 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
I am currently running a griffin rad and will be changing it to a mishimoto one i was planing on doing the IS/GS300 fans but would you recommend the zirgo fans over the oem ones for daily use ???
People will always have mixed reviews over OEM fans or aftermarket. I like the simplicity of the aftermarket Zirgo setup but it's hard to argue against OEM reliability that's proven. I don't know how much the IS/GS fans pull but the 14" Zirgo "S" blades I have pull an advertised 2,785 CFM a piece.

Most of the horror stories I have seen with people running an aftermarket setup is due to installation error.
Old 02-26-10, 11:00 PM
snomanlex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went simple with my setup once I turbo'd the car. I didn't have room to run the stock fan because of the lower IC pipe. So I went with a FLEX-A-Lite adjustable temp switch. Cost about 45 bucks and can be adjusted to come on from 180-240 degrees. No buttons or switches. 180 degrees fans come on once they cool it down they shut down. I also went with a CXRacing aluminium radiator with a 14inch TorqueFlo fan supposed to be rated at about 1250cfm. Haven't had any cooling issues at all. With the clutch fan and old radiator it would stay right in the middle all the time. With the new setup its usually under halfway by a decent amount. Very happy with the cars cooling
Old 02-26-10, 11:08 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

People will always have mixed reviews over OEM fans or aftermarket. I like the simplicity of the aftermarket Zirgo setup but it's hard to argue against OEM reliability that's proven. I don't know how much the IS/GS fans pull but the 14" Zirgo "S" blades I have pull an advertised 2,785 CFM a piece.

Most of the horror stories I have seen with people running an aftermarket setup is due to installation error.
did u use the zirgo relay kit for installation or did u just wire it up ir self

Quick Reply: Requesting Reviews on Electric Fans: your experience, your thoughts...