Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT Intake - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-09, 10:12 PM
VIP_LEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Big
Fu*****
Intake

BFI FTW
Old 06-25-09, 11:59 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by howat
BTW, the NA-T from SRT will cost me a kidney.
Where is SRT? By now you should get the idea that they are raping you on prices! Can you post a picture of what a $600 intake looks like...this I must see lol! Save your $$ for a 1j swap or build a NA-T setup yourself or serach for a kit...End of search for making your car faster
Old 06-26-09, 12:05 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe this is the one...looks cheaper than the AEM intake to me..

Old 06-26-09, 07:21 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol i still dont get it 600 ..... HA
Old 06-26-09, 07:36 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
lol i still dont get it 600 ..... HA
Cost $550 for just stickers and $50 to make and materials HA
Old 06-26-09, 08:49 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

the stock silencer adds hp. This intake will actually make your car SLOWER
Old 06-26-09, 11:16 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

OK, now I see the problem. I've been wondering what is going on with this forum for a few months now and this is definitely the tell tale. I'm really glad I saw this thread because it is clearing up a lot of wonder for me lately.

This thread has 36 responses and not but a very few even seem to know what an SRT intake even is. Everyone just knows it is $600 and I'm not buying it, the end. (Josh on your GS you'd have noticed a difference so it must not have been properly programed).

These intakes come up USED for $350-400 on the IS300 forums and people jump on them like CRACK ROCK. You literally can't say "dibs" fast enough to buy it without someone else stealing it from under you.

If you are a VVTI 1998+ engine like the OP is, this intake comes with a "black box" that is wired in and will re-map the system and provide more gains than bolt ons such as headers and other items you'll pay $600 for.

All I see are broke kids that don't wanna know what a product is or how it is built or what if, they just want to do it as cheap as possible. Home Depot has became the new Carson lexus for buying mods for SC's in this forum.

If you're low on cash that's cool, we all are at some point. I know you are, you had no problem taking $100 from me when I offered it to all of you to try and help you out and look where it got me https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...say-100-a.html By the way I see a lot of people in that thread begging that have since turned tail and been a pain in the *** lately. You didn't mind begging for a handout then and saying how nice I was for offering. It's one thing to be a kid, it's another to be a stupid kid. It'll all come back around and you will be stuck out there. So to stay on topic, if you are going to do your home depot mods and your ten dollar this and that with bad quality parts at least admit that you are cheaping out and using bad quality parts. There is nothing at Home Depot you'll find that equals an SRT intake. There is nothing out there sold in the form of a tube that will re-map your air/fuel for you and boost horsepower as much as a set of headers and NO intake out there you can bolt on for 12hp except SRT.

All I am saying is for the integrity of the forum at least ACT like you can afford the car you have. It's getting ridiculous around here. Sure 6 bones is a lot for an intake and there's other ways to spend the money but at least act like you know the intake is in some way worth it's price by the technology behind it, not just because you can go to home depot and buy pvc. Good things deserve their props.

Like the Auto Couture kit. I remember when Carson got $2,400 for it (haven't checked on it's price in years, but I know it is below $2k now). Back then people would dream about it, but not go cheap out just for the sake of filling the hole. If you couldn't go AC, you went 97+ kit and liked it. These days these same people that can't afford to go AC will tell you to go to home depot and buy the plastic stripping and make a spoiler. *smacks forehead* I did the equivalent of the Auto Couture kit on the IS by going with the Carson Tuned ($2400) and got it at a huge discount, but even then I could have went with the Neo kit for half that even but I didn't want crap quality on my car. We used to be so proud of our SC's around here that we'd never be caught praising ghetto mods.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 06-26-09 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-26-09, 12:34 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

OLT, last I checked the headers sold by MVP Motorsports offered gains of 17hp for $449.

The reason the SRT intake adds significant gains is because oif the use of the "black box"

Personally if I was staying the NA route with my car, I wouldnt waste the money on SRT's intake. Get an SAFC-II that can be better tuned to accomodate ALL of your modifications, not just SRT's intake. Their black box wont ompimize your gains from headers or exhaust modifications. I would expect 20+ hp if using the MVP headers with an SAFC.
Old 06-26-09, 12:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Like I say it's cool to want something else, but just saying "Oh no I'll go to home depot and make the same thing" is just cheaping out, not selecting wisely. You won't make the same thing going to home depot under any circumstances. Respect the quality even if you won't spend the cheese.
Old 06-26-09, 01:12 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Instead of spending 600$ on an intake made of a sheet bent aluminum and a spectre cone, why don't u try to buy the little black box, do a BFI, and spend the rest on exhaust to open up the other side?

OLT your right it's worth 600$, there are just cheaper ways to do things IMO
Old 06-26-09, 02:26 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

still to much $$$$$
Old 06-26-09, 02:46 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!! lol dont do it. its suicide.
Old 06-26-09, 04:43 PM
howat
Pole Position

Personally, I question the "Broke kids..." comments because I've known some good, kind folks from this SC community that does not act or behave as such. Additionally, the swap and NA-T actions taken by many of the advisers may also counter the claim of extreme frugality.

From my perspective, it's not about the 600 dollars. It's about the value added from such a modification. Clearly, those from the SC community has given me an over whelming response of a 'nay'. I appreciate their honest opinions, for it is true and genuine.

Curious to know, OLT, would you make this modification if you were in my shoes?

Let me throw in a biases here. I'm really against Mod shops that rape the modding community. More often than not, we hear of horror stories of how inferior workmanship and products ends up delivering a false promise of HP and torque gains. As a community we should thoroughly question, comment and discern the products and services offered to us therefore protecting the general community.

Lastly, I empathize for what has transpired during your act of generosity. However, outstanding and irreplaceable members such as yourself ought not allow immaturity -from a few idiotic kids - to jade your outlook toward forum members, since there are many of us that does not fall under that broad stroke.

Peace

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
OK, now I see the problem. I've been wondering what is going on with this forum for a few months now and this is definitely the tell tale. I'm really glad I saw this thread because it is clearing up a lot of wonder for me lately.

This thread has 36 responses and not but a very few even seem to know what an SRT intake even is. Everyone just knows it is $600 and I'm not buying it, the end. (Josh on your GS you'd have noticed a difference so it must not have been properly programed).

These intakes come up USED for $350-400 on the IS300 forums and people jump on them like CRACK ROCK. You literally can't say "dibs" fast enough to buy it without someone else stealing it from under you.

If you are a VVTI 1998+ engine like the OP is, this intake comes with a "black box" that is wired in and will re-map the system and provide more gains than bolt ons such as headers and other items you'll pay $600 for.

All I see are broke kids that don't wanna know what a product is or how it is built or what if, they just want to do it as cheap as possible. Home Depot has became the new Carson lexus for buying mods for SC's in this forum.

If you're low on cash that's cool, we all are at some point. I know you are, you had no problem taking $100 from me when I offered it to all of you to try and help you out and look where it got me https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...say-100-a.html By the way I see a lot of people in that thread begging that have since turned tail and been a pain in the *** lately. You didn't mind begging for a handout then and saying how nice I was for offering. It's one thing to be a kid, it's another to be a stupid kid. It'll all come back around and you will be stuck out there. So to stay on topic, if you are going to do your home depot mods and your ten dollar this and that with bad quality parts at least admit that you are cheaping out and using bad quality parts. There is nothing at Home Depot you'll find that equals an SRT intake. There is nothing out there sold in the form of a tube that will re-map your air/fuel for you and boost horsepower as much as a set of headers and NO intake out there you can bolt on for 12hp except SRT.

All I am saying is for the integrity of the forum at least ACT like you can afford the car you have. It's getting ridiculous around here. Sure 6 bones is a lot for an intake and there's other ways to spend the money but at least act like you know the intake is in some way worth it's price by the technology behind it, not just because you can go to home depot and buy pvc. Good things deserve their props.

Like the Auto Couture kit. I remember when Carson got $2,400 for it (haven't checked on it's price in years, but I know it is below $2k now). Back then people would dream about it, but not go cheap out just for the sake of filling the hole. If you couldn't go AC, you went 97+ kit and liked it. These days these same people that can't afford to go AC will tell you to go to home depot and buy the plastic stripping and make a spoiler. *smacks forehead* I did the equivalent of the Auto Couture kit on the IS by going with the Carson Tuned ($2400) and got it at a huge discount, but even then I could have went with the Neo kit for half that even but I didn't want crap quality on my car. We used to be so proud of our SC's around here that we'd never be caught praising ghetto mods.
Old 06-26-09, 08:31 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

The reason its so expensive is because its a tuneable intake right? I would just spend about $250 on an Injen intake and another $200 for an SAFC for the tuning part of it.
Old 06-26-09, 09:46 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a brand new one uninstalled "free with purchase" of my 99 SC4. Still wondering if I should put it on. I love being able to pop the hood without any hassle of anything remotely aftermarket under there (aside from the headers which are a bit concealed).

From the reviews I've read from research it seems like a pretty good thing to have. But OLT you are so right, I've talked to other SC owners about whether or not to install my SRT and they have no idea what I'm talking about..

Quick Reply: SRT Intake - Yay or Nay?