Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 07:51 PM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing exactly that..buying the entire swap! Wish me luck on the install.

Originally Posted by That-Guy
this is truly a buyers market right now, if you hop over to the supraforums classifieds, there are eye popping deals that come up literally every hour. I wish i was starting a project right now, as i don't think there will be a better time to take advantage of low prices on used car parts than right now. If your end power goal is in the 300-400hp, then i would definately consider a stock jdm swap, although alot of people say go na-t for that range, i believe that there are too many nitty gritty details that its not worth going na-t unless your going to go all out. Whereas you can easily be in that range with a stock aristo swap and everything will work like stock, it will be quiet, comfortable no tuning required etc. I can tell you that most supra owners that were once bpu and went big single say that they miss bpu more than anything. Toyota had a phenomenal setup going already and everyone comes in to tweak it, but there is alot to be said about a stock gte.

There are frequently complete 2jzgte and 6speed swaps as a complete unit (engine and tranny with all the goodies) on ebay for a little under 6k shipped. Thats a good deal to me, and i'd run with something like that if i were you. It will put you in a decent power range, but you won't lose any form of driveability and you'll have a nice gte to go single with if you ever get the bug down the line.
You said "since all this car is doing is being my Drifter/Time Attack/Daily Driver" Now thats alot to ask of a car, and if you truly are going to attempt to build the all around beast, i would definately recommend doing a swap and not na-t, and i would definately recommend keeping it bpu and not going single. You don't need any more power than bpu for any of those.

Alas, if you're aiming for more power, then it really doesn't matter if you go na-t or gte, because if both setups are built properly, they can both provide tremendous power.
Old 07-23-09, 08:11 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the swap! At the end of the day it'll cost you less to go the route you chose- especially if you factor in EMS. Plus you'll have oil squirters in the block which come in handy for a bigger build down the road.
Old 07-24-09, 12:24 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2JZ Swap Route

I went the 2JZ Swap Route because I wanted to retain the Factory Tune. It costed about $4500.00 with the Engine & Related R/R Parts. This also gives you room to go single Turbo down the road. Good Luck with your decision.