Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Broken Harmonic balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 06:38 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Harmonic balancer?

So my 93 sc has been experiencing serious problems after i felt something break while going about 95 without my foot on the pedal losing accelleration

so long story shorts its been to 3 shops and the dealership and noone could help

now i brought it to a place called lextech and they say the only thing they find is that my harmonic balancer is broken

so my real question is how would a broken harmonic balancer effect the performance of the car? because it has no accelerration at all, meaning it takes like five minutes to go freeway speeds please help
Old 07-01-09, 06:44 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple test I have done and been telling people is--Using white-out or a paint pen draw a line from center out to the edge and let it run/drive it and see if the line is still in one place afterwards. Do that and let us know, If it isnt lined upo get a new one. Might not be 100% your problem but if its broke Fix it. Narrow it down a bit. After that some other people might be able to help you on here. i know that test and thats about it.
Old 07-08-09, 03:47 PM
Lexnorwest
Driver School Candidate

Mine did the same thing, broken balancer, actually this is the crank pulley since the engine is internally balanced. Replace the pulley now before it comes completely apart like mind did and takes out the crank position sensor and the lower timing belt cover. 2 possible reasons for performance you mention, the crank sensor is right behind pulley so, possibly crank position sensor is damaged but not likely if the pulley hasn't come completley apart. Other possibility is you've skipped 2 or 3 cogs on the timing belt (this is most likely the case based on the performance issues you describe)... to check, pull the upper plastic timing belt covers, set crank pulley on top dead center and see if marks on cam pulleys line up white marks on heads (not sure where you took your car and why they didn't check the timing??) Anyway, if your marks don't line up, you probably need a new crank pulley & timing belt. If you're replacing the timing belt you should also do the water pump, cam seals, & pulley bearings anyway, most people do since you have to take the front engine cover etc. off anyway..... if you're good with tools you can probably get away with around 800 or so in parts depending on where you buy them and whether you want factory replacement or not..... good luck!
Old 07-08-09, 04:29 PM
95silversc
Rookie

My harmonic balancer fell off my car while I was driving to work. It came off towards the front of the car really clean and all it did was destroy the radiator fan and slightly skuff up the radiator. The belt actually slipped onto the remaining part of the balancer and kept driving the accessories. I noticed it immediately.

The motor shook pretty hard but drove normally otherwise. It was cooling itself fine so I drove the rest of the way to work then to the Lexus dealer for a new balancer, fan, and belt. Then went home and fixed it up.

Mine fell off and the car drove normal for the most part. If yours is acting up your balancer may have fallen off and taken something important with it. Is interfering with something. Or there is something else completely different wrong with it.

Last edited by 95silversc; 07-08-09 at 04:30 PM. Reason: asdfasdfasdf
Old 07-08-09, 06:11 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexnorwest
Mine did the same thing, broken balancer, actually this is the crank pulley since the engine is internally balanced.
Pretty sure its a harmonic balancer. Because of the long crank. Crank pulley=harmonic balancer on the JZ engines.

Do NOT get the ones without the balancer. OEM, ATI, or something to that effect.
Old 07-09-09, 09:32 AM
Lexnorwest
Driver School Candidate

yep, I missed that it's a 6 cylinder.... regardless, by symptoms, should check asap .... if balancer comes apart it will only increase cost of repairs.
Old 07-09-09, 10:04 AM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

got a pic?
Old 07-09-09, 07:27 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dumdumgreg
got a pic?
of a jacked up bablancer? I can have one in the morning if thats what your looking for.
Old 08-17-09, 01:27 PM
Gvr4
Driver

So I have the same issue. While driving to work this morning. The a/c light blinked and the battery light flashed on. I make it about a mile away from my house and stop at a light and I smell rubber. The belt is shredding a little. So it starts back driving normal. I get on the highway and it's getting warm so I get off the first exit and the car is cooling down itself.

I make it to work to see bit of rubber everywhere and you can hear a slight knocking noise. I pull the tensioner and it's still good. I then started it again and I can see the crank pulley going back and forth pretty much tearing the belt apart.

Now I need another crank pulley but I'm not sure of what I actually need. I coming from the DSM scene and the harmonic dampener is built in. When I looked this up it seems like the crank is a two pieces. I'm also up in the air about a underdrive pulley if it isn't balanced.

I need some direction.
Old 08-17-09, 02:22 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ not sure what your question is but this happen to me about a month ago....was driving on the highway and heard a thunk and loud screeching from the belt. Pulled over to see the the crank pulley and the balancer have separated (only have a dampener between pulley and balancer). . Found one at the local yard for 90 bucks. I had a local mechanic do it because i heard it was hard to get the bolt off.