Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz Y-pipe for twins: OneJay's Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 07:58 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHHAHA. Awesomeness
Old 07-18-09, 01:54 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Found the coolant leak. I guess I tightened down one of the screw-type clamps on my upper radiator hose too tight and busted it. I just replaced it real quick with some extra hose and viola! No more leakage!

Drove it 40 miles yesterday with no problems, except for the earsplitting noise. And it goes through gas like Rosie O'Donnell through cake. NOM NOM NOM!!! Otherwise I couldn't be happier!
Old 07-18-09, 01:56 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sventhemac
What wideband are you going to run? I have an LC1 that I need to wire in.
Forgot to add I have an AEM Uego. I just need to wire up power and ground and I'm good to go!
Old 07-18-09, 04:16 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Is it installed? Mine says not to run it unless its "on"
Old 07-18-09, 04:21 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so was it hard as people say it is to break down the turbos?

Looks good!
Old 07-18-09, 05:54 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Is it installed? Mine says not to run it unless its "on"
It's all wired up except for the power. Should I unplug the back until I have it all wired in?
Originally Posted by RyanV
so was it hard as people say it is to break down the turbos?

Looks good!
It took about three days to get the front turbo off, but if I did it again, I could probably do it in a few hours. It was just a one nut giving me trouble that I needed a little stubby wrench for, and then I realized you can remove the studs from the turbo to slide it one way or the other. It is definitely a learning experience though.
Old 07-18-09, 09:03 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OneJay
It's all wired up except for the power. Should I unplug the back until I have it all wired in?
From reading my LC1 manual it says that the heated bosch sensor That comes with it will be damaged unless its all hooked up, whether thats a shorter life span or actual damage I have no idea. Maybe a guru can chime in.
Old 09-03-09, 04:55 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any update?
Old 09-04-09, 12:23 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

I'll try to take some new pics tomorrow and write up what I think. I have a bit of an exhaust leak though....
Old 09-04-09, 01:07 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the downpipe or when we swapped the exhaust? wow..didn't know you went through so much trouble getting that thing in...you were very nonchalant about it
Old 09-04-09, 07:05 AM
andrew18
Rookie

Default y pipe

I installed this same y-pipe with a 3in downpipe on my mkiii supra 1j. Problem was i blew out a coolant seal on one of the turbo's after about 3 weeks running the ypipe. Smoked so bad thought i had a BHG (brings back memories of the 7m hahaha) Had terrible problems getting the ypipe to seal around the turbo exhaust side because my ypipe was polished and the dumbass that polished it gave it more of a ( shape than a | shape. So imagine the ypipe sitting like this.
turbo a |) --ypipe -- (| turbo b.
The motor had about 95k miles on it and so I think the turbo's were already on there last leg. I replaced the turbo's kept the ypipe on and did notice that it makes a hell of a difference in spool up time but not a huge difference in hp compared to just running a 3in dp.

1st time it took me about 4 days to put the ypipe on (about 5 hours each day). Now just like you said i could do it in a day.
Old 09-05-09, 04:36 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

From reading my LC1 manual it says that the heated bosch sensor That comes with it will be damaged unless its all hooked up, whether thats a shorter life span or actual damage I have no idea. Maybe a guru can chime in.
you should not have a wide band o2 sensor in the exhaust system unless it is powered up and running this could harm the sensor and lower the life of it.
another good tip to keeping your wide band o2 sensor clean and in good working order is your actually suppose to remove it and burn the tip of the sensor with a torch of some sort propane or acetylene every time you use it of course thats not practical for most of us but it will severely increase the life of the sensor

sorry to high jack the thread but i felt the information was important
Old 09-05-09, 06:51 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the delay on the pics. I just got my new suspension in!

Maybe I should look into a replacement sensor in that case. Just in case mine got effed up when it wasn't plugged in.

As far as the Y pipe, it feels like I lost a tiny bit of torque on the low end, but the turbos feel like they spool faster, so its a little gain a little loss. I kind of want to get it dyno'd again, but I might just wait until I get down to sea level. It does feel like I've gained a bit of power though. I couldn't really tell much of a difference, but my good friend said he feels a bit of a power gain. I probably just cant really tell because I drive the car all the time lol.