Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 Whirring Noise - All gears but 4th

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 08:24 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300_704
mines does that whining sound in every gear except when in neutral after i replaced the stock clutch to a 6 puck clutch.
I was about to ask what clutch he was using because, like you, when I threw a w58 in with a 6 puck it whirred too. I thought it was kinda cute.
Old 07-23-09, 09:17 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

so how many have had mech. failures after the whirring started?
Old 07-24-09, 12:58 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol.... ^

Clutch is similar to the centerforce dual friction.... but not as crappily made .... Its just a full face organic 1 side and 8 small pucks of metallic on the other. I had a 4 puck kevlar/metal clutch too for testing..... Made the noise with both.
Old 07-24-09, 04:49 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Its #33311A in that picture above right?

Thanks for the explanation! I will replace that one when I pull it out.
i can't say, i haven't had a decent computer with 56K for the past 3 weeks
Old 07-24-09, 08:30 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

after i put a Trd short shifter on my car, i get a loud whirring. it's funny though, removing the shift **** makes it alot quieter. Of course i put my shift **** back on, but i did put some Dynomat around the base of the shifter and that seemed to help a little..
Old 07-24-09, 08:48 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Team

As I understand, W58s are loud trannys, similar to W55s. Before swapping in my R154 (which is silent in all gears and neutral), my W58 whirred in 1st-3rd gear and in neutral. Under WOT, it was loud! I didn't have any grinds and the car shifted perfectly. I believe it's pretty common.
Old 07-24-09, 10:54 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shern
Team

As I understand, W58s are loud trannys, similar to W55s. Before swapping in my R154 (which is silent in all gears and neutral), my W58 whirred in 1st-3rd gear and in neutral. Under WOT, it was loud! I didn't have any grinds and the car shifted perfectly. I believe it's pretty common.
lol I dont think its normal though . A few local W58'ers have a dead silent transmission compared to me.
Old 07-24-09, 11:04 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

mine has been nice and quiet until a few weeks ago when i started getting whirring noises around 2500 rpm. I want to do a rebuild some time in the future, but so far this tranny has been very reliable and comfortable.
Old 07-24-09, 11:06 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the car whine the same way during a loaded(engine brake) decel, or does it change pitch or go away?
Old 07-24-09, 12:34 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Matt you don't have that other cover between the tunnel and the shifter cover so that could be some of it. You have many other issues to worry about though haha....
Old 07-24-09, 02:58 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Does the car whine the same way during a loaded(engine brake) decel, or does it change pitch or go away?

Its all different... On acceleration it sounds like its winding up... deceleration is winding down... and in the middle where the engine is free spinning/reving whatever with little load on it, its quiet

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Matt you don't have that other cover between the tunnel and the shifter cover so that could be some of it. You have many other issues to worry about though haha....

I have the cover on and dynamatting on the tunnel. I have 1 less issue beotch clutch pedal is in LOL.
Old 07-24-09, 11:24 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

LOL, people say my car sounds awesome when they ride in it (all stock right now btw) and i think the tranny whine makes it sound like it's got something, to someone who doesn't know any better. Little do they know it's probably my tranny getting ready to take a dump on me. Lets pray that it's not. First person to fix this whine issue and post up a how-to gets a box of Chips Ahoy sent in the mail.
Old 07-25-09, 01:29 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
lol I dont think its normal though . A few local W58'ers have a dead silent transmission compared to me.

my w58 was silent until i put the TRD short shifter on, then it got loud as hell, almost to the point where i have considered going back to stock a few times..
Old 07-25-09, 03:49 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aka paco
my w58 was silent until i put the TRD short shifter on, then it got loud as hell, almost to the point where i have considered going back to stock a few times..

I honestly have NO idea how that even makes sense LOL. I have a short shifter... but I have no idea how it makes sense for the transmission to whine.

Does your whine in 4th gear at all?
Old 07-25-09, 05:27 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

When putting the short shifter on did you check the play in the shifter and trans.

If you didn't its putting pressure on the internals just like resting you hand on the shifter all the time.

and the whiring is the wrong weighted oil or worn internals. A clutch will chatter not whirl.

Look at changing to redline shockproof gear oil. if that doesn't fix it it needs a rebuild

Quick Reply: W58 Whirring Noise - All gears but 4th