Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 Whirring Noise - All gears but 4th

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 09:04 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I did today actually. Went from Mobil 1 to GM Synchromesh. Same issues above apply though.
Hey, you might want to change your transmission oil to something other than gm synchro mesh.

I'll just quote myself in my other thread.

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Ok changed it to redline mt90! Feels like new again. Hope it works in the long term. will report back with findings.

Also. some posts from supramania while I was doin research on the subject.

"The cliff notes version is the R154 and W58 trannys NEED a certain amount of friction to work properly. RP Max-Gear is *too* slippery to provide this friction...RP Synchromax is even more so. It is more an ATF type lubricant and thins out significantly at higher temps. IMO, these 2 gear oils are not well suited for our manual trannys...the success many guys have seen using these oils is due to the slippery characteristics of these gear oils "freeing up" (reducing friction) parts in the R154/W58 that are on the way to failure. This is not fixing the problem...that sound from your tranny is the sound of inevitably.

The reason more modern trannys spec a gear oil like Synchromax (or GM's synchromesh) is to improve cold shifts. The thicker oils in a GL-4/5 category do not shift well at lower temps...they need to warm up. The problem is Synchromax does not have the extreme pressure protection, oil film thickness, and shear stability required...this will increase wear on the gears. Synchromax may help quiet down a worn R154/W58 for a while, but it is not really helping the problem...it's masking it.

uote:
With most lubricated components, the slipperier the better, but this is not so with manual transmissions. The synchronization of shifting gears requires friction to transfer energy from the synchronizer, which is locked to the input shaft, to its mating surface attached to the gear to be locked in as the drive gear. The drive gear is selected by using the shift forks to slide a synchronizer ring, which rotates at the same speed as the input shaft, in contact with the selected drive gear. Once the drive gear is brought to the same speed as the input shaft, the locking ring on the synchro assembly is allowed to slide over and lock into the drive gear. The time this process takes depends on how easily the synchro ring moves and the rate of frictional energy transfer between the two synchronizer surfaces. Higher viscosity lubricants slow the sliding of the synchro ring on the input shaft and require a longer time for the oil to be squeezed out from between the mating synchronizer surfaces. After the lubricant is squeezed out, the coefficient of friction of the lubricant determines the rate of frictional energy transfer between the two surfaces. Slippery lubricants such as hypoid gear oils (like RP Max-Gear) can take too long to synchronize the gears, which promotes synchronizer wear. Red Line MTL and MT-90 has a coefficient of friction which is greater than conventional oils, allowing a quicker transfer of frictional energy."

This is from a member named "jdub" who is a mod there and under his name is. Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Filtration

Another quote commenting on why royal purple may "seem" to work at first. From the same person

"In any case, the point is Synchomax is much too thin for either tranny. Max-Gear will work, but the friction modifiers can cause problems with the syncros on a tight tranny. IMO, the improvements guys see using either RP product come from freeing up worn syncros...the tranny is on the way out and the frictions modifiers grant a reprieve. It's not a matter of if the tranny is going to fail, it's when. But if it works and puts it off for a while, it's a viable technique...I'd save up for a new tranny or a re-build though"

Anyways I didn't mean to jack the thread, but oil is important none the less.
Old 07-25-09, 09:26 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Hey, you might want to change your transmission oil to something other than gm synchro mesh.

I'll just quote myself in my other thread.

Anyways I didn't mean to jack the thread, but oil is important none the less.
Good information, but like I said before I had Mobil 1 75/90 in the car and it made the same noise... Before that I drove with some cheap stuff for a few miles to get all the old junk out. It had the same noise... The noise never was less or more with any of the oil, always the same. That makes me think bearings no?
Old 07-26-09, 06:07 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Without hearing it in person its tough to say, but I would say your mainshaft bearings are probably ok. Could be countershaft bearings, or as was mentioned before, it could be the input to mainshaft bearing.

With all that said, I still lean towards gear whine due to worn gears. Probably input to countershaft since that mesh point likely sees the most load over the trannys life, and that is the path of power flow for all gears except 4th.

Just have to crack it open and see, or let it fail and then try to determine what tore through what first.
Old 07-26-09, 10:23 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Without hearing it in person its tough to say, but I would say your mainshaft bearings are probably ok. Could be countershaft bearings, or as was mentioned before, it could be the input to mainshaft bearing.

With all that said, I still lean towards gear whine due to worn gears. Probably input to countershaft since that mesh point likely sees the most load over the trannys life, and that is the path of power flow for all gears except 4th.

Just have to crack it open and see, or let it fail and then try to determine what tore through what first.

When I go ahead and put in the R154 for testing purposes, I will take apart the W58 and see whats up. At least I have a few good ideas, and most of them easy/cheap because I have a 2nd W58 that is missing the main casing, lol.
Old 09-09-09, 03:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

did you ever resolve this, my car has done this from day one since i bought it, and when i had my 6puck clutch put in i had the throwout bearing replaced and flywheel resurfaced.. still have the noise. it seems to be loudest when the engine is cold, then it gets a little bit better. if changing the oil could help out i would like to know.
Old 08-23-11, 05:51 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump, im bringin this back to life cuz the new w58 I put in is doin this aswell, same exact problem...did u ever get it fixed???
lmk
Nate.... thanks
Old 08-24-11, 09:30 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Mine still makes the same noise, Redphoenix any updates?

I had read somewhere about it possibly having to do something with input shaft wear, but the w58 is such an overlooked tranny I dont think anyone is going to take the time to tear it down just for a whirring noise. probably just live with till upgrade time.
Old 08-24-11, 12:57 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Mine still makes the same noise, Redphoenix any updates?

I had read somewhere about it possibly having to do something with input shaft wear, but the w58 is such an overlooked tranny I dont think anyone is going to take the time to tear it down just for a whirring noise. probably just live with till upgrade time.
Yea, ur right, its jus not worth it...jus make sure when I do my r154 swap that it is a clean & well token care tranny
Old 09-06-11, 06:00 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the bearings in my tranny because of the same thing. Noise was still there. Changed the transmission mount to a new OEM and the noise went away. Worth a try as it is easy and cheap.
Old 09-07-11, 03:56 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

i was thinking that my mount was probably gone a while ago but I didnt think the trans mount would make that sort of noise, but I can see how that makes sense now.
I may try that and my w58 also needs the 4 bushings for the remote shifter arm, thats what give the shifter play and rattling on the 95+ w58's.
on pre 95 there is just one main bushing you change out, much cheaper and easier to get to.
Old 09-07-11, 05:02 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

input shaft bearing. my first w58 did it too.

it doesnt do it in 4th gear because it's 1:1