Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with strange oil/coolant mixture/leak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 11:03 AM
nghty89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with strange oil/coolant mixture/leak.

Background on the vehicle: 1989 Supra Body, 199x non-vvti 2jzge. The block and head are GS300, but the oil pans are SC300. R154 5spd with 1jz bellhousing. Southbend stage 4 clutch. Masterpower T70 turbo, ARP head studs, ARP rod bolts, Toga main and rod bearings, Apex'i 2.1mm MHG, rebuilt head, polished crank, custom charge pipes, freddy BOV, Apex'i AVCR, Greddy Full Auto TT, running 7mgte electronics on the 7mgte ecu. Works fine, except minor issues.

Ok, so the motor is in. Timing seems to be just right, but she still misfires. Tuning is needed. Car randomly shuts off, so I am going to check all of the relays and fuses. There is nothing grounding out, the engine wiring was done perfectly this time.

Second issue, oil pressure is running close 100psi when cold. Once warmed up she comes back down to about 21-22psi at idle. If the rpms are above 1K, the pressure shoots up to about 60-80psi tops as the revs go up (20psi> 30psi> 40psi> 50psi>etc...), depending on whether we are sitting or driving. It doesnt appear to be blow-by, and there is no smoke coming from the vehicle during driving.

Third issue, oil is pissing out of the block on the intake side, and appears to be just beneath the upper coolant neck. This happens whether we are idling or driving. There is coolant in the head again too. There is no blown MHG like before though and the car is strong when driving. The head was properly torqued and re-torqued after 5 heat cycles. There is a galley/opening between the block, head, and rear timing plate that sits behind the cam gears. Its large enough to fit your pinky into and this appears to be the source of oil/coolant escape. Anyone know anything about the 2jz's and what on earth is suppose to be here?

I am posting on supramania and clublexus to see if anyone has any idea.

Im VERY close to trading this vehicle for a K5 4X4 Blazer, or any lifted 4x4 truck or nice V8 vehicle. Yet, I want to stick with this...

Owning a supra is a love/hate relationship. Seriously. And I mean the throwing-$h!t/yelling-and-then-crazy-make-up-sex kind of relationship.
Old 07-26-09, 09:49 AM
nghty89
Driver School Candidate

Wow... no replies? What, is it because it's a supra with your motor? just kidding! (well, kind of, since all the 2jz's are so similar) lol

Seriously, is there some timing cover I'm missing, or some sort of bolt/plug that belongs there? Help and information would be very nice. Or if you are in the Hampton Roads area, a close up view of where this location on the motor is on a working 2jzge would be amazing...

Last edited by nghty89; 07-26-09 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-27-09, 02:23 PM
nghty89
Driver School Candidate

After actually making a for sale thread and being pissed off, I came to the conclusion that I am pulling the motor and going to have a really good local shop hot tank and deck the block, and make sure the head is still good to go. This should fix the issue. I love this car way to much to give up. I should've sucked it up and spent the extra cash to do this before hand, but everything seemed good enough to not go through with it at the time. Being laid-off doesn't help either. Video will follow if she runs.