Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Resonators Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 10:20 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Ok I ask because i'm getting some mufflers that rhyme with hive-vegan .

I'm not sure if I should just bolt on the new mufflers or go full out exhaust. But I might as well do it all, for the money the mufflers cost.

The exhaust shop said they'd need to see the mufflers to determine what would sound the best. We discussed doing a cat back to an x-pipe to the mufflers. With most likely 2.5" piping and maybe throwing in a resonator in afterwards it it's too loud for me.
Old 07-28-09, 10:43 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do cat-back to an x-pipe! Im doing the exact same thing ou are thinking of with 2.5" piping tomorrow. I'll be using magnaflows but still i'll let you know how it is.
Old 07-28-09, 03:45 PM
Durrby
Instructor

^be sure to post a vid!
Old 07-28-09, 05:01 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Also what should the average price for a dual setup be? New piping, x-pipe, possibly new resonator(s) and mufflers hung?

The only local shop around said it'll be give or take $345 for everything given I supply the mufflers. I assume it'll be crush bent too.
Old 07-28-09, 05:02 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

I will let yall battle it out Thanks to everyone on the great info, I think im going to go the deleted resonators route and see how it sounds, thanks again!
Old 07-28-09, 05:02 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Why are you going to use 2.5 piping? I thought stock size is 2.00in so upgrading to even 2.25 is an upgrade. Going to 2.5 seems like overkill to me and i would think it would actually decrease back pressure to much.
isn't the stock piping on the 400 2.25"?
Old 07-28-09, 05:03 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you going to use 2.5 piping? I thought stock size is 2.00in so upgrading to even 2.25 is an upgrade. Going to 2.5 seems like overkill to me and i would think it would actually decrease back pressure to much.

Also i find it a waste just to do a cat-back exhaust. I'm fairly certain the headers are way more of a bottleneck to then the y-pipe/cat.

-Stock piping is 2.25in

-Going to 2.5 would help topend but you will lose a little lowend

-You will lose lowend because the exhaust gasses cool and then slowdown at lower rpm, nothing to do with backpressure.

-The biggest gain on a stock exhaust would be eliminating the factory y-pipes, the factory exhaust bottlenecks from 2, 2.25in pipes into a single 2.25in pipe into the center cat. This is the biggest stock restriction.
Old 07-28-09, 05:03 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Also i find it a waste just to do a cat-back exhaust. I'm fairly certain the headers are way more of a bottleneck then the y-pipe/cat. Its something like 5-10hp gain from y-pipe v 20 from headers.
Stock size is 2.25. Also there are 3 catalytic converters. 2 that come right off the exhaust manifolds, and that one in the dead center. After that you have 2 resonators, one on each side, and then the mufflers. This is all running 2.25" STOCK.
Old 07-28-09, 05:20 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Dont go with new resonators, thats too much work/money.

Anyways it should cost 80 for the x-pipe and 150ish for each muffler. For labor you are looking at around 1 hr (80ish). But some places might quote u at 2. Its better imo to pay a bit extra for a better shop because you will be happy with the finshed product. And for the piping, idk maybe 30.

Bacially if you dont go with a new headers. Just have them cut the tubing at the first y-pipe and put the x-pipe there and 2.25 tubing to the 2 mufflers.
Pretty much there's only 1 shop around that does exhaust work. But they did a good job with my Camry's WS2.

They said it'll be around $345 for the piping/labor which would include the x-pipe and i'm pretty sure resonator if I want 1. I'm bringing them the mufflers.

Still sitting on the fence with the 2.25/2.50" piping since I don't plan on going boost.
Old 07-28-09, 05:29 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

$345 ?! Thats alot of dough man and you got to bring the muffs? they must be good...
Old 07-28-09, 05:41 PM
Durrby
Instructor

I guess you can charge what you want when your the only shop in like a 10-15 mile radius. That's where the next closest exhaust shop is and it'd be really inconvenient for me since the other place doesn't work Saturdays and that's the only time I could go.
Old 07-28-09, 05:54 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

^^^ I think Durrby has a time frame he has to work with.
Old 07-28-09, 06:01 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black Fire
^^^ I think Durrby has a time frame he has to work with.
Pretty much. Down here 90% of the places aren't open saturdays and everything closes at like 5 during the week. I work mon-fri 8 til at least 5:30.

fine then tell that mufflers shop that xxx(peak 1 mufflers) in yyy(maimi) will do the install for zzz (125 dollars) + parts. But i cant drive all the way up their because i have to do xxx (go to my grandsons birthday party) later today and this is the only free time i have to get the mufflers installed. Then ask if they are willing to do it for the same price? They prob wont but they might drop their price a bit.
I think i'm already getting somewhat of a discount. I used to work with the guys father.
Old 07-28-09, 06:58 PM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

^^^ You used to work for the guys dad!? Thats messed up hes making you pay for labor!
Old 07-28-09, 07:33 PM
Durrby
Instructor

didn't work with him directly, just within the same department at "the city"

guess now a days he's gotta make all he can which = i suffer lol

Quick Reply: Resonators Anyone?