Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alternator questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 10:23 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alternator questions

I have a faulty alternator. Yesterday I was driving home from an orientation and when I reached the exit ramp, the battery light came on. By the time I pulled into the driveway, the lights were dim, the radio had cut off, and closing the moonroof was a very, very slow process.

This morning I yanked out the battery and took it to Kragens. Apparently the alternator ruined the battery since it now refuses to take a charge, and I was given a new battery at no cost. I installed the battery and the SC started up fine, so I drove it to Kragens. They tested the alternator and determined it's the source of the problem.

I'm not a mechanically inclined person, but I'm curious as to what is the process for changing the alternator, and if someone could point to a DIY? (I have already searched to no avail).

If it's easy enough, I may just buy the part and install it myself. However if it's too difficult to change, I'll need to drive to the closest dealership, which is 17 miles away by freeway. Can I drive the a car with a fresh battery but faulty alternator on the freeway for 17 miles, or have it towed?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-29-09, 11:21 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its really not that hard. you first need to disconnect the (-)battery terminal, take off the belt by loosening the tensoiner(use a long breaker bar for better leverage), the alternator is held on by two 14mm bolts i believe. also disconnect the pig nose connector on the back of the alt. you can take out the alt. from under the car or on top. i prefer on top cuz i hate dealing with the plastic under tray. install in reverse order. there should be a sticker diagram of how the belt wraps around the pullys under your hood. and if you have a sc3 replace the o-ring on your distributor to prevent it from leaking oil and destroying your new alt. let me know if you need help
Old 07-30-09, 02:54 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used these threads when I changed mine:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175385
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=259190

If you are in SoCal I may be able to give you a hand.
Old 07-30-09, 09:40 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by topdog849
its really not that hard. you first need to disconnect the (-)battery terminal, take off the belt by loosening the tensoiner(use a long breaker bar for better leverage), the alternator is held on by two 14mm bolts i believe. also disconnect the pig nose connector on the back of the alt. you can take out the alt. from under the car or on top. i prefer on top cuz i hate dealing with the plastic under tray. install in reverse order. there should be a sticker diagram of how the belt wraps around the pullys under your hood. and if you have a sc3 replace the o-ring on your distributor to prevent it from leaking oil and destroying your new alt. let me know if you need help
1) What and where is this tensioner? How do I loosen it?
2) What and where is a distributor, and how would I replace the o-ring for that?

Sorry I'm a uber newb, I just don't want to screw anything up.