Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Really need help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-02 | 10:15 AM
ShotgunSymphony
Driver School Candidate

Default Really need help...

What's up guys, im new and I need your help with a some questions. In the next 2 weeks I have to buy a car, either a sc300 or sc400. I was all amped up a while ago but now I don't know what to do. I have worked on high performance Japanese cars all throughout highschool (Nissan Silvia's, Toyota Supra A70's) and know a good amout on cars. I started comparing the two models. Right off the bat I was going to go with the sc400 but then found out the they only make it in Automatic (What the hell is up with that?). I figured I would just get the auto but then, after reading some of the threads on this forum, I found out it has a 94hp loss to the wheels (****). At this point I started looking at some shops and got even more discouraged. 10 grand for a turbo kit, 20 grand for a Supra TT engine swap, maybe because I'm not balling out of control like most of you seem to be in here but THESE PRICES A ****ING INSANE! Is there any way to make these SC's fast without breaking your wallet? Also, which car has more potential for upgrades, can the sc400 be converted to manual, is there any cheap turbo kits out there, does the 2.5 TT Supra motor fit, and I have seen like 3 different kind of taillights on these models- whats the story on that?

I would really appreciate any help you all can give me. Thanks...
Old 04-09-02 | 11:24 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Welcome to the club!

Also welcome to the love hate relationship of SC4 vs SC3.

It all depends on needs and wants. If you got Keeeeash ($$) , get an SC3 and turbo it. Insane power waiting to be tapped; but it takes $$$ to make it happen. But some come w/ a 5-speed - big plus.

The SC4 is just a nice V-8 to begin with, w/ a nice friendly amout of torque. Exhaust mods make nice sounds, but don't add much. Con - only auto. You can upgrade to a 5 - speed........open your wallet though.

If you plan on leaving the car alone, get a 400. If you have the cash and want to play; get the 300. If you're a budged minded gearhead who wants a little more go, get the 400, add a TC and spray a 100 shot of nos. Problem solved. But you will be limited to the 13's to high 12's with the 400 going that route. But for some; thats fast enough.

You decide