Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

which EMS would you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 01:03 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default which EMS would you use?

Ok most of you know that I finished my na-t build not to long ago, but I have decided its time to get rid of the Karmen MAF and go with a MAP conversion..but not sure what EMS to go with? Trying to keep the cost under $1000 cause I plan on going with a FFIM and new fmic and pipes at the same time.

Needs to be cost effective (under $1000 if possible)
Fairly easy to install and setup
Have the option to convert from MAF to MAP
beable to run with my stock injectors for now and 440cc's later on, and larger down the road.

and I'm trying to avoid the MAP ECU 2 although its still an option..heard some off the wall things on tuning with them..so something more reliable.

what would you choose/suggest?

Last edited by turbodremz; 08-09-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 02:20 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll be happier down the line if you spend the money to buy a standalone unit now. I would aim for an aem ems, haltech, pro efi or even a motec, it will be worth its weight in gold down the line. But even before savings for an ems, i would label a big old jar with "money for tune." and wait until its filled to the top before you buy anything. A proper tune, and one from a professional such as Nenni or Reed will make all the difference for your car. Lastly.. What kind of power are you planning on pushing? I was dying to get a ffim for the longest time and i had all the money ready to put down, but after extensive research... if you are under about 650hp, you will not see any big time gains from the ffim, only more lag. You may be able to flow a little more, but your low end will suffer dramatically. As much as it makes the engine bay absolute "SEX" and the ease of spark plug and injector jobs are that much easier, it isn't worth the drop in torque to me.

If you are dead set on a ffim and you haven't picked one yet, i would recommend talking to a guy on sf that custom makes na-t ffim's. His manifolds require no battery relocation or ps modification and they look gorgeous. They're only about 650 bucks if i remember correctly. If you are more interested send me a pm and i can get you a name and and contact info.
Good luck w/ whatever route you go and post up any updates.
Old 08-09-09, 02:38 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

I had thought about going full standalone, but trying to keep the cost under $1k and have been reading and tossing around ideas of the EMU and Map ECU2. I would say the most HP I plan on making in the long run would be 500rwhp at the most, also why I'm considering something simple instead of a standalone unit.

Which Haltech would you suggest? Just skimming through I see 5+ different models ?

And I'll take your offer on the ffim..pm sent. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by turbodremz; 08-09-09 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 10:28 PM
OMD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im also planning to get rid of my AFM and have looked into the MAP-ECU, but after more research i think it's better to go standalone, i plan on getting the EMS 8860 from Australia. http://www.emsnorthamerica.com/ they have most of the features of the more expensive brands and its price is not bad for a standalone, around 1,350 USD..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3G7c4xhgE

Last edited by OMD; 08-09-09 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-09-09, 10:49 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

i'm still debating between a standalone and the emanage ultimate..I wont be pushing my car over 450 maybe 500hp max..but have been looking at the Haltec systems, but after some more reading the AEM EMS is becoming very appealing, but cant seem to find the harness for the 2J-GE..seems AEM only likes the JDM engines.
Old 08-10-09, 05:17 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the AEM and knock on wood it's been running smoothly with no issues for about two years! However, the first year was a disaster! I had everything happen to me from the A/C compressor not wanting to come on to the car just cutting off on me at a stoplight, to the AEM not controlling the idle, etc. The original AEM was sent back to AEM about 3 to 4 times to repair until I said enough and told them that I don't want that box back and I demand a new one. Well, they sent out the new one and it's been great ever since! I guess I just had a defective/bad box to begin with.

If I was to do it again, I would have probably spent the $$ and got a Motec to avoid the issues that I encountered with the AEM. The Motec however is big money so the AEM would probably be your best choice since you wanted to keep your cost down. Good luck!

Also, I'm getting myself the Hypertune Intake manifold too. Everyone has different reasons for getting a FFIM, some get it for the ease of Spark plug change, some get it for looks, and some get it for performance! The reason I'm getting it is not just for looks but performance gains, I've done extensive research where I've read up on the Hypertune being tested against other FFIM and the Hypertune netted the most gains! So, if you're doing it just for looks then there's a ton of FFIM on Ebay that looks good, but again it all depends what your needs/wants are because just like the Motec the Hypertune IM is expensive. Good luck!

Last edited by Wicked SC; 08-11-09 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 07:24 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
lmao i just saw this thread 3 seconds after i replied to the last one.

whenever i go single i plan on getting a hks f-con v pro. Their is a whole thread about it in supraforums.
do you have some one that can tune the ECU? thats the issue that i had when i had mine at one time. no one around me could tune it at all.

Im running a AEM EMS V1 on my 1jz and absolutely love it except some times it doesn't like to start up and takes a few cranks but that's another thing everyone will tell you with standalone. really for the money if your doing it do it once and do it right.

Trending Topics

Old 08-10-09, 01:04 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

See I have read a bunch of good things about the AEM, but alot of problems seem to come with it. I had looked at the Haltec systems, but there are 5+ different systems and I'm not sure the differences between them except the price tags ranging from $700 to $2000+...

Since I am not planning on going for more than 500hp, and trying to keep the rest of the build cost effective, wouldnt an Emanage Ultimate suffice for my goals? I know stand alone is the ultimate way to go, but I'm also trying to avoid any major hassles in the process..also dont want a system that is going to be too much of a pain to get tuned or a base map set..and would still like to keep the cost under $1k IF possible.

As for the ffim, a decent balance of performance and looks is what I had in mind. I'm not trying to set any HP or 1320 et records so a ffim that has a good reputation when it comes to clearance and ease of installation.
Old 08-10-09, 04:19 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is that I am leaning towards the MegaSquirt II.
Reasons:
1. Open Source
2. User friendly
3. Cost under 400.00 if you build it yourself.
4. The name.. it just sounds funny.
5. My buddy can tune it for me.
Old 08-10-09, 06:06 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure that the person you trust with your motor is comfortable tuning the software and motor.

You could use a piggyback though you might look at some 550cc injectors at 500whp.

edit-I think SAFC2 does 150% bigger injectors? The emanage ultimate can control up to 999cc I believe so that may be the better choice here.

Last edited by RyanV; 08-10-09 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 10:04 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TLDriver
All I know is that I am leaning towards the MegaSquirt II.
Reasons:
1. Open Source
2. User friendly
3. Cost under 400.00 if you build it yourself.
4. The name.. it just sounds funny.
5. My buddy can tune it for me.
I have thought about the MS2, but dont know of many people who can tune with them.

Originally Posted by RyanV
Just make sure that the person you trust with your motor is comfortable tuning the software and motor.

You could use a piggyback though you might look at some 550cc injectors at 500whp.

edit-I think SAFC2 does 150% bigger injectors? The emanage ultimate can control up to 999cc I believe so that may be the better choice here.
Exactly another reason I am hesitant to go full standalone..just like with the MS2 system that TLDriver suggested, I dont know many people who can tune them and I'm not familiar with them enough to set a base map..I have used the EMU in the past and loved it, and it may be the end choice.

And the 550cc injectors have been ordered, so the 440's I have will be cleaned and for sale soon.

Originally Posted by Ryeno
RyanV has a good point. No matter what product you buy. Someone else is going to tune it. Just make sure they can tune what you buy.

As for full standalone. Its not ALWAYS the best. Its a lot more hassle to get running v piggyback.
right on..I think the EMU is going to be ordered just due to the fact that I have previous experience with it, I know the features and how it works and its very easy to use and fits my project..
Old 08-11-09, 04:43 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

heres my input

when i first went na-t in 2007 and initially was going to run a aem but was talked out of it and was guided towards only needing a piggyback seeing my goals were in the 400's so i went map ecu

man what a mistake that was , i had the map ecu from nov 07 to 10/08 and was the worst exp ever

i had to drive around with my laptop to make changes on the fly because the stock ecu kept fighting my closed loop tuning , no matter what i did it was a pain in the a$$ , when the car was pushed hard or trying to build boost in 3 rd gear car would randomly pull so much timing because of knock and just shut off..

cruising was horrible , could not get the transition from closed loop to open loop to happen so car would run lean in crusie and buck

tip in for free revving was another diaster, annd imagine this was all tuned by a pro tuner and loads of street tuning by me

gas milage sucked big time

finally i got fed up and took a drive with mr wicked in his aem equipped ride and i was sold

i put in aem 10/08 and been very very happy with the consistent tune of the aem .. having full control of timing and inj's is necessary esp in a na-t setup for the stock ecu knows nothing of positive manifold pressures so timing is all over the place... with a proper tune like i got from alpha , cold start , hot restart boosting is perfect , oem like and gas milage as good if not better then it was when it was just na

save the headaches bro , go full standalone spend the few now get a pro tune and enjoy boosting

nuff said

oh btw my car has been running avg 23psi on pump since 10/08
Old 08-11-09, 11:38 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

hmm...still getting a bunch of +/-'s with the AEM EMS..and I dont know enough about the F-Con units to even know where to start with them, just like the Haltech systems..
Old 08-11-09, 03:01 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
hmm...still getting a bunch of +/-'s with the AEM EMS..and I dont know enough about the F-Con units to even know where to start with them, just like the Haltech systems..
fcon only works with gte engine not ge
Old 08-11-09, 03:51 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexforlife
fcon only works with gte engine not ge
thats good to know. Thanks

Quick Reply: which EMS would you use?