Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

necessart maintainance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:02 AM
lengnoou
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation necessart maintainance?

i was going to change my valve cover gaskets for now as well as do a full ignition tune up (distributor rotor, cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires, ect) when i noticed an oil leak coming from the front end of the motor. im pretty sure that the front main seal and cam seals are shot and will need replacement soon. im short on cash and was wondering that would i have to replace the valve cover gaskets again when i change the cam seals and front main seal? or will i be able to replace the front main seal and cam seals without having to open up my valve covers and having to change the valve cover gaskets again? also last timing belt service was done at 80,000k and the car is at 135,000k currently. should i just replace the timing belt with all the other things such as water pumps and all all at once when i change out the front main seal? but first i'd like to know if i can change my cam seals and front main seal without having to replace my valve covers again. thanks CL for the help!
Old 08-11-09, 12:08 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lengnoou
i was going to change my valve cover gaskets for now as well as do a full ignition tune up (distributor rotor, cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires, ect) when i noticed an oil leak coming from the front end of the motor. im pretty sure that the front main seal and cam seals are shot and will need replacement soon. im short on cash and was wondering that would i have to replace the valve cover gaskets again when i change the cam seals and front main seal? or will i be able to replace the front main seal and cam seals without having to open up my valve covers and having to change the valve cover gaskets again? also last timing belt service was done at 80,000k and the car is at 135,000k currently. should i just replace the timing belt with all the other things such as water pumps and all all at once when i change out the front main seal? but first i'd like to know if i can change my cam seals and front main seal without having to replace my valve covers again. thanks CL for the help!
I think the FSM states that valve cover gaskets are not reusable so goin by that, I would say no.

But personally, If you change them and then shortly after you change your front main seal etc. I don't see why you couldn't try and see if it doesn't leak.
Old 08-12-09, 01:03 PM
liberty
Driver School Candidate

ya i would change the water pump and timing belt at the same time since you will have all those parts off anyway...
Old 08-15-09, 12:29 PM
lengnoou
Driver

so to clarify i can change my valve cover gasket along with my tune up for now and not have to worry about changing it again when i replace my cam seals and front main seal?