Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Do All JDM Motors Have Sludge Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 11:28 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally looked at your pictures mine wasn't near as dirty as those maybe a lil bit but damn near clean. That's why I went minimal maintenance. Needed it for a month and now I am leaving. I am back to the 1600 RPM BS whenever the car runs for about an hour. I havve never been in a 2JZ-GTE car so I can't tell you either way on getting the Aristo. Given that more power from the get go but also more money to get it right.(Hell mine isn't RIGHT yet.) Responding to the PM now.
Old 08-22-09, 09:05 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

decisions decisions........
Old 08-22-09, 10:48 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

I had a 1jz soarer clip from JARCO and it was spotless and amazing. They were one hell of a importer of clips when they could...I heard they don't/can't anymore.
Old 08-23-09, 08:34 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jefferino
I had a 1jz soarer clip from JARCO and it was spotless and amazing. They were one hell of a importer of clips when they could...I heard they don't/can't anymore.
Yeah, they stopped selling 1j's and 2j's alltogether...what a shame
Old 08-25-09, 08:32 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

I guess im holding off till their next shipment and hope for something a little more decent..
Old 08-26-09, 06:29 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I drove to JHot and hand picked my motor.

The 1JZ I bought had undocumented mileage, but it was WAY cleaner than the other 3 motors they had there.

Mine had a little sludge up by the cap, because it collects there and burns up. Other than that my motor was SUPER clean.

$1k isn't alot to pay for what you get, even if you have to tear it down and have it checked out. More than likely the motor would probably just need cleaned up and put back together.

Other than that I would take Dzungs word far as if you should wait or whatever.

good luck
Old 08-26-09, 06:53 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the motor i got from JHOT had a good amount of sludge but its been great other wise.

I wasn't too happy when i pulled the valve cover and saw that but at least i know it is healthy now.
Old 08-26-09, 07:36 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RyanV
This is why I drove to JHot and hand picked my motor.

The 1JZ I bought had undocumented mileage, but it was WAY cleaner than the other 3 motors they had there.

Mine had a little sludge up by the cap, because it collects there and burns up. Other than that my motor was SUPER clean.

$1k isn't alot to pay for what you get, even if you have to tear it down and have it checked out. More than likely the motor would probably just need cleaned up and put back together.

Other than that I would take Dzungs word far as if you should wait or whatever.

good luck
Yeah, unfortunately for me I don't have the time for a rebuild, so im looking for something to drop in and be done with it....
Old 08-26-09, 07:38 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Biggu
the motor i got from JHOT had a good amount of sludge but its been great other wise.

I wasn't too happy when i pulled the valve cover and saw that but at least i know it is healthy now.

So what did you do? Just do an engine flush with one of those oil additives?
Old 08-26-09, 09:15 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just left it as is for now. ill be pulling off the head here some time and cleaning it all up that's about the best i can do.
Old 01-03-16, 05:03 AM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Biggu
just left it as is for now. ill be pulling off the head here some time and cleaning it all up that's about the best i can do.
Ive had this same thing but probably worse than yours I just cleaned it by hand and brake cleaner with the oil pan open and oil, any updates on this?
Old 01-03-16, 08:00 AM
Dexter72
Driver School Candidate

Something you can do if the engine is in the car and running, is to drain some oil out of it and add automatic transmission fluid to it. If you didn't know, auto trans fluid is detergent based.. If you have done auto trans work before you notice your hands and finger nails are super clean, after washing off the trans fluid..

Its an old school trick to clean buildup from inside the engine.. You can change the oil a few hours later or the next day, after driving the car for a few miles. 20 miles..

I did this on a customers 3.0 litre Nissan pathfinder engine, had so much sludge in it the valve train was really noisey.. I just added 2 qts of trans fluid and drove it for 10 miles, changed the oil and filter.. I then did 2 qts trans fluid 2 qts engine oil and drove it another 10 miles. engine had no noise it when i changed the oil and filter the second time. Put 4 qts of oil in and it was good to go. Customer didn't need another engine and was more than happy to pay $200 bucks to give it a try..

I have been a Nissan mechanic since 1998 to present day. Was a Toyota mechanic from 92-97
Old 01-03-16, 01:55 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dexter72
Something you can do if the engine is in the car and running, is to drain some oil out of it and add automatic transmission fluid to it. If you didn't know, auto trans fluid is detergent based.. If you have done auto trans work before you notice your hands and finger nails are super clean, after washing off the trans fluid..

Its an old school trick to clean buildup from inside the engine.. You can change the oil a few hours later or the next day, after driving the car for a few miles. 20 miles..

I did this on a customers 3.0 litre Nissan pathfinder engine, had so much sludge in it the valve train was really noisey.. I just added 2 qts of trans fluid and drove it for 10 miles, changed the oil and filter.. I then did 2 qts trans fluid 2 qts engine oil and drove it another 10 miles. engine had no noise it when i changed the oil and filter the second time. Put 4 qts of oil in and it was good to go. Customer didn't need another engine and was more than happy to pay $200 bucks to give it a try..

I have been a Nissan mechanic since 1998 to present day. Was a Toyota mechanic from 92-97
Yeah ultimately I am going to try this next week or so I just tried manually removing the crud from the head and it took forever.
Old 01-03-16, 02:15 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

motor flush works the same way as trans fluid, you can get motor flush anywhere, it works really well. i used it on my 1uz when it had 217k miles and it cleaned it up awesome, when i drained the oil literally small chunks drained out. i'm gonna be doing it again when i do my next amsoil oil change.
Old 01-05-16, 06:17 AM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldManTan
motor flush works the same way as trans fluid, you can get motor flush anywhere, it works really well. i used it on my 1uz when it had 217k miles and it cleaned it up awesome, when i drained the oil literally small chunks drained out. i'm gonna be doing it again when i do my next amsoil oil change.
Still having mixed feelings on this flushing, motor is running extremely well now and dont want to unlodge something and clog a passageway so will probably just wait till engine is pulled to do a real cleaning and keep changing the oil frequently, Basically just let the new oil slowly work out the grime instead of all at once

Quick Reply: Do All JDM Motors Have Sludge Issues?