Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Once you go 1JZ..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-09, 11:54 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
it's not talking big. If you actually understand how tc works then you realize exactly how worthless it really is.

Bottom line is unless your a bad driver you dont need it. And if you do need it, then you should learn how to drive.
wow.

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Regardless, I guess I'm a goober when it comes to driving, I've had one occasion where bad judgment + bald tires + wet roads = losing control. Had my TRAC been working that time, it would have compensated for my bad judgment and perhaps prevented my little curb smack from happening. Again, if he can get it to work, I suggest he install it. As I stated before, if he really wants to turn it off, there is always the button, but like you said Ryeno if you are a good driver, there is no need for it, but as I said, **** can happen and when that does happen, it's good to have a little assistance.
I like to turn off my TRAC when I floor the car. But if I drive normal I keep it on. Just like you, except with GOOD TIRES + NORMAL ROADS + a little sand on the ground as im taking a right from a stop sign, i feel my car twist a little bit and traction control saves me from having the car spin out and fall into the ditch.
I'm a good driver.. but when you don't expect something, your SOL.

Get that TRAC on there if you can!
Old 08-23-09, 12:14 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
for the record i have never had any driving mishaps. The closest thing would be a hit n run where i was the victim.
Guess I'm just imagining the 40mph u-turn or garage mishap.

Their is NO ASSISTANCE. Thats the point i am trying to make. The "assistance" is LIMITING YOU. Like i said ALL it does it make your car slower.

It only gives you actual traction IF your tires would spin out. So if you are driving on snow and are stupid enough to floor your car, then yes traction control would help. But at the same time all you have to do is not floor your car and traction control would be worthless

On the other hand if your DD with it on and someone is about to crash into you. Well since its one their is a chance the computer wont let you floor it. So they end up hitting you even though you could have got away.

So like i have been trying to explain. Its completely worthless unless you are a bad driver.
Well, what would you say then about ABS? I mean afterall, if you can't brake properly, then you shouldn't be driving, afterall, shiz doesn't randomly happen at times. Well when I was younger and foolish, that assistance by SLOWING my car down on the wet road with bald tires and poor judgment would have been beneficial to me. People make mistakes, get off your highhorse and stop acting like you've never done stupid **** in your car before. We've all been there and done that. After that incident I've learned to be a more conservative driver.

And that's kinda what happened, my tires spun out, and I lost control, back end swung out and I tried to counter-steer to right it, and it jerked the other way until i finally smacked a curb. It's useful for the unexpected, and honestly, if you're one of those douches who likes to gun it from the stop, then you are only asking for trouble. It doesn't limit you at higher speeds, but it's built mostly for the lower end.

Again dude, he should install it if possible, and if he's Michael Shumacher like yourself ryeno, then he can press the button to turn it off. Some folks like that extra little bit of safety.
Old 08-23-09, 12:32 AM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy the fact that my IS has traction control, it rains 65% of the time in Florida. I guess I don't know how to drive? It's not like I own a Single'd 2JZ car or anything.
Old 08-23-09, 12:46 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I give up.....

OP, take your choice, if you can get it get it, if not don't worry your head over it.
Old 08-23-09, 05:14 AM
Black Fire
Lead Lap

All i have to say is when i get in my Sc i turn that traction control OFF. It comes with it because its a luxury car.
Old 08-23-09, 03:10 PM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Ryeno;4788388]btw owning a single 2jz or a fast car period doesnt mean you know how to drive. Look at nick hogan for proof.QUOTE] Funny and true, But building your entire car yourself (Me, not hogan) means you're usually going to appreciate it more.

To the O.P. like jewcano stated, it's only a button push away to turn it off, so if you can keep it, then go for it.
Old 08-24-09, 08:50 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, but nobody answered my question..
I want TRC..
My car came with it, so I wanna keep it even tho I have a new Engine; so that the car retains its selling points (& I agree.. If I want it off I'll just hit the button. That makes sense over eliminating it.)

Is that all I have to do, is install that throttle body and I'll have TRC or is there more to it?
I have a Soarer ECU, but the 1JZ has the non-TRC Throttle Body (..as seen in the pics)
So if I get that TRC Throttle, will it do the job, just Bolt-on & Go.. ?
If so, then Im gettin' it.
Old 08-24-09, 07:14 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your soarer ecu will more than likely not control your TRC. TRC is controlled by the ECU. Also turning your TRC button on doesn't disable your Traction Control 100% it will still sense loss of traction and will come on even if it is turned off. Pulling the TRC fuse under the hood will get rid of it 100% but is not good for the car. So in short your 1jz ecu didn't come with traction control there for it will not control it.
Old 08-24-09, 09:05 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Appearently our traction control works TOO well and dials back the power all the way to idle. This is just what I've read, but if this is true then this could be dangerous.

Think of doing a left turn at an intersection with on coming traffic. If the TRC kicks in when you move forward to take the turn and you are left with idle power staring at traffic coming towards you on your left.

In my opinion, I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
Old 08-25-09, 07:23 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 1JZ from a Chaser in my SC TRC but my Traction control is gone and the ECU is from a Chaser also. The Chaser that engine and ecu originaly came out of had TRC but will not work on my SC.
I really don't care about TRC, i don't drive it when it's rains or snow and it's not my DD.
Old 08-26-09, 10:52 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

remove TRC. disable that crap, go read countless bmw threads about DSC and ACS causing accidents via adding "traction" by hitting the brakes by its compuuter brain

with 1jz you will want an LSD