Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 W58 Install thread(Parts thread now progress thread in a few weeks)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 05:31 PM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are the same part number. You can buy them from Toyota dealerships, toyotapartsdepot.com or find a used one via Ebay, CL, Supra Forums etc.

Whats up redphoenix. Your car and SCWEET1's are pretty much my two insperations for this build.

I am trying to pick up some coilovers ASAP Tein is taking forever to get mine shipped out. I might cancel and get some other setup, Stance D2, or Ksport.
Old 10-26-09, 08:31 PM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

My leave was approved today!!! I hope to have pictures of the install and maybe even some videos of her going down the road before next Friday!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-09, 11:45 AM
DRFTSC400
Pole Position

Can't wait to see pictures and videos. You're car looks good man you just need to slam it. Those wheels will make it look real good. I've been wanting those for a long time now but can't afford them at this time. I'm doing the same swap but i'm using an R154. you should check out my thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-swap-pix.html
Old 10-28-09, 11:48 PM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

Teins will be here within the next week or so then I will take pics of it slammed and then raise it to a drivable height
Old 10-30-09, 01:45 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC'd SC400
They are the same part number. You can buy them from Toyota dealerships, toyotapartsdepot.com or find a used one via Ebay, CL, Supra Forums etc.
Would you happen to have the part number?
Old 10-30-09, 07:00 PM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Would you happen to have the part number?
I dont have it on me right now but you can call a local dealer, describe the part and they can get the PN for you. Thats how I found out the PN and did searches on different toyota discount stores, then lucked out and found one on supraforums.com....sorry
Old 11-05-09, 09:59 AM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

Started working on the swap last night about to go out get some bolts and misc. items. Here are some progress pics for your enjoyment:

Remove center console and undo all connectors to the shifter

Lift the car via jack stands, lift or whatever you have.

Remove exhaust.

Remove drive shaft

Now you can remove the bottom bolt for the shifter

Disconnect electrical connections, hydro lines and lower the transmission

Remove flex plate and install clutch plate and clutch assembly

And now im waiting on my drive shaft to be modified.
Old 11-05-09, 11:03 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hellll yessss
Old 11-05-09, 12:12 PM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

Look familiar? haha

Had to make sure the NSS cancel was operational.
Old 11-08-09, 05:05 PM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

Ran into a problem with the MKIII W58 with the MKIV shifter, it would shift into some gears but not others, so I picked up a W58 from an SC300 and installed it the other night. I had to cut out an extra whole in the floor but fack it, it shifts smooth into every gear and fits the cross member without modification. The driveshaft is about 1.5 inches too long so that is getting cut and balanced tomorrow and should be driving by night fall.

W58 installed and looking sexy

Interior is all back together with SC300 accoutrements
Old 11-08-09, 06:13 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Can you elaborate on the issue with your shifter? Was it a problem with the individual part you had, or a problem with mating the MKIV shifter in general to the older W58?
Old 11-08-09, 08:17 PM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

Well, with the External shifter on it I could either get 1,3,4,5 at one angle or 2,3,4,R at a different angle, but never all the gear sets. I dont have the shifter for the MKIII tranny being I sold it because it was a nice aftermarket short throw.

But I am sure if you keep the MKIII W58 and put two 45 dgree bends in the stock shifter it will fit just fine after you cut a whole in the floor. The SC300 W58 even fell short and I had to cut into the floor. But it has brand new bushings and feels pretty good.
Old 11-08-09, 08:24 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

What do you mean by the different angles?

I've got an external shifter on order now. I don't think the stock MKIII shifter is anywhere close to the appropriate length to fit near the SC shift location. Not that I've tried it yet, but seeing one of Red's pics lifting his tranny with the MKIV shifter up to the tranny tunnel, it just looks like it would be way too short.

I suppose I could try both when doing my install and see how each works.
Old 11-08-09, 08:43 PM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

The MKIII tranny does not have the mounting points for the external shifter so I had to make a bracket. Once I had the bracket made I mounted the shifter on and it would only shift to said gears^ then I drilled out another lower point and it would shifter to the other set of gears, till finally I made sort of an oval mounting hole to adjust and at no point did it line up to shift thru all gearsets two of the outside gears where always left out(1,5 or 2,R).

The MKIII will work but you have to put two approximate 40 degree angle bends in the shifter so it will sit farther back. As you can see in my second pic it sits perfectly.
Old 11-08-09, 08:56 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

When you mention bending the MKIII shifter, are you referring to the standard style shifter or the goose neck shifter? I'm assuming the former.

Looking at this picture of yours: http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...9/IMG_4448.jpg

Would it be possible/ feasible to bend the support arms up and attach them to the tranny without moving the shifter position? I noticed you had mentioned earlier that it did shift fine with the MKIV assembly on, I guess before you made your bracket.

Do you have any pics of the bracket you made for it?

I had thought originally of just extending the shifter with a second piece of metal (assuming it would be too short as is) but figured it would fu*ck up the throw of the shifter. Maybe this is still an option?

Quick Reply: SC400 W58 Install thread(Parts thread now progress thread in a few weeks)