Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help me out on this for sc400

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 12:03 PM
GSLEX99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I finished the 2 Rear o2 sensors, and cleared the codes so my lite went off and I've been driving around and the effing light came back on. so idk what else it could be

I've changed these parts:
Iacv
Maf
All the plugs
wires
both rear o2 sensors

So any other ***** I can do to fix this car?
Old 09-10-09, 12:16 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSLEX99
Ok I finished the 2 Rear o2 sensors, and cleared the codes so my lite went off and I've been driving around and the effing light came back on. so idk what else it could be

I've changed these parts:
Iacv
Maf
All the plugs
wires
both rear o2 sensors

So any other ***** I can do to fix this car?
re-read my post. take your new o2 sensors and install them in the front (main sensors). Those are probably the bad ones, regardless if you get a cel for it.

Does the car feel like its misfiring? or just have the codes or what?
Old 09-10-09, 02:40 PM
GSLEX99
Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
re-read my post. take your new o2 sensors and install them in the front (main sensors). Those are probably the bad ones, regardless if you get a cel for it.

Does the car feel like its misfiring? or just have the codes or what?
I can't take the same ones and put them in the front because they are different. But I will look those up too.

Idk if its misfiring but when it comes to stopping at the red light it feels like its going to turn off but it doesn't.
Old 09-13-09, 12:46 AM
2700$oarer
Rookie

stay away from your o2 sensors for the time being and just do a routine maintenance on it! drive ability is not cause by emissions like your talking about but can contribute. start with cleaning maf, iac valve, from there if you still have an issue go to your egr, clean. move one to the next step. note when cleaning use something that is electric friendly for the maf. from there if you are still having a drivability issue go to your spark plugs, pull them out and inspect, water CAN get into to those with the rubber gaskets in place, almost forgot! cheapo fix! double check all you clamps on your intake and check your vacuum lines. then check connectors. now where was i? spark plugs yes, from there if they look bad or fouled just replace, nothing fancy just whatever plugs are pre gapped platinum and cheap. then if problem continues go to your wires, it seems impossible, but there are no more than 10 bolts hiding all your wires caps and part of your timing belt. if problem still persists. continue to cap and rotor. they are exposed when you do your wires and plugs so you should be able to get them changed and added 4 bolts more for each side. if problem still goes, coils buddy. good news though you only have to buy one unless it actually needs two which is rare. you can also visually inspect them before you even start your plugs but it will be slim chance it will be something you see. also have you checked your air filter? theres another way to buy time in case or hard times like you have wrote... you can actually do this aftter you clean the maf iacv and egr. gona sound strange, but it will be like night and day. unplug your maf and see if it restores some or all of your lossed power. if it runs worse plug it back in. if it runs fine you can go 2-3weeks tops i suggest no more than that or your buying new catz. that is all i can think of off the top of my head... let me know how it goes, oh an another thing what kinda gas are you using? premium i hope... another thing to throw into with the cleaning is a bottle of concertrated techron fuel system cleaner, actually removes deposits off your valves and actually work and will be something you will need if you car has been running bad for awhile..

p.s. forgot to add the reason you would only need to buy 1 ignition coil is because you can rotate the new from left to right sequencing out each side checking if it fixes the problem. odds of being both are rare...

Last edited by 2700$oarer; 09-13-09 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added more
Old 09-13-09, 10:11 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^big post, lol!

I figured out a reason my car was misfiring. The whole ignition system. Easy way to check this is to get a multimeter and check resistance on the coils and what not. Its free to do this.

BTW, the o2 sensors SHOULD be the same. Unless the connectors are different, not sure. I just buy universal 4 wire o2 sensors and solder them together. Its a lot cheaper to do this (check ebay). They are all threaded o2 sensors, I know that.

If it feels like it is going to die when it comes to a complete stop, check the IAC and vacuum leaks. You can clean the IAC with some mineral spirits and about 30 min. Did you replace it with a new IAC or a used one? Like I said, try cleaning it if its used. I still need to do this lol.

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 09-13-09 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-21-09, 05:12 AM
GSLEX99
Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
^big post, lol!

I figured out a reason my car was misfiring. The whole ignition system. Easy way to check this is to get a multimeter and check resistance on the coils and what not. Its free to do this.

BTW, the o2 sensors SHOULD be the same. Unless the connectors are different, not sure. I just buy universal 4 wire o2 sensors and solder them together. Its a lot cheaper to do this (check ebay). They are all threaded o2 sensors, I know that.

If it feels like it is going to die when it comes to a complete stop, check the IAC and vacuum leaks. You can clean the IAC with some mineral spirits and about 30 min. Did you replace it with a new IAC or a used one? Like I said, try cleaning it if its used. I still need to do this lol.

The front O2 sensors do have different plugs and they cost 163 each so I will see if I can come up with the money. But I will try other things and I'll let u know.
Old 09-21-09, 07:05 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Man your running on bad luck lol. Did you replace the plugs,wires,cap,rotor? I didn't see it in all those posts thats why I am wondering. Matt's coils where going bad mad resistance in the wires were killing the coils. It would be a good idea to clean the MAF ,but use the right stuff so the sensor doesn't get damaged. If thats been done front o2 sensors would be next on the list. It might be a cat. issue ,but thats last on the list. Need to call me man since I don't have your # and I can help you out.