Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz Intercooler options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 10:39 AM
ziptied
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed. plus on the upside. greddy makes a kit for the soarer still, have to wait a while as it comes straight outta japan. but its like 480 shipped. im running it and have had zero issues. temp probe showed steady drop in temp over a 40 mile run of stop and go traffic.
Old 09-08-09, 01:31 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't just say an ebay intercooler "sux" or is "good". They come in all sorts of flavors and styles and depending on who and which cores you get, you will have dramatically different end results.

Do a little research and check out the differences between each intercooler, like bar/plate vs fin/tube, core size, endtanks, etc. If you cant find any data about them, then chances are the much needed research and development hasnt gone into them. Why do you think greddy/HKS/spearco etc. charges so much for their intercoolers? They spend tons of money on research to hire engineers and teams to design a product. Dont get me wrong, im not saying that you cannot find a "cheap" well functioning intercooler....there are many out there.....you just gotta look for em..

I too am beginning to look for a front mount setup as my 1J will be here tommorow. I'll make sure to pass on whatever info I get when ive made a choice.
Old 09-08-09, 09:32 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by evileagle
You can't just say an ebay intercooler "sux" or is "good". They come in all sorts of flavors and styles and depending on who and which cores you get, you will have dramatically different end results.

Do a little research and check out the differences between each intercooler, like bar/plate vs fin/tube, core size, endtanks, etc. If you cant find any data about them, then chances are the much needed research and development hasnt gone into them. Why do you think greddy/HKS/spearco etc. charges so much for their intercoolers? They spend tons of money on research to hire engineers and teams to design a product. Dont get me wrong, im not saying that you cannot find a "cheap" well functioning intercooler....there are many out there.....you just gotta look for em..

I too am beginning to look for a front mount setup as my 1J will be here tommorow. I'll make sure to pass on whatever info I get when ive made a choice.
you are preaching to the choir here.

I already know all that but the BIGGEST problem with ebay ICs is they are all different. Even a IC from the same vendor can be different if he decides to switch over to a cheaper supplier. What it all comes down to is pure luck.
Old 09-09-09, 09:13 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

I have a complete great condition soarer intercooler and piping that will be up for sale in a few days if you are interested.
Old 09-09-09, 09:42 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
you are preaching to the choir here.

I already know all that but the BIGGEST problem with ebay ICs is they are all different. Even a IC from the same vendor can be different if he decides to switch over to a cheaper supplier. What it all comes down to is pure luck.
Thats not what I got out of this statement....

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Dont buy an ebay intercooler. They may "look" good but they dont work. There is a post on supraforums about ebay v name brand intercoolers. It turns out the ebay ones run like 80-110 degrees (cant remember if its c or f) hotter. So you are better off saving your money on a quality used intercooler.

Or if you want a kinda cheep good intercooler get the 750hp Precision Intercooler
make up your mind.......

Last edited by evileagle; 09-09-09 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 03:39 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

I actually went with this kit...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=548579
Old 09-10-09, 03:48 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

^^Guess who bought one of those before ya and is reason I am selling my stock setup The kit is very very good and the seller is a great guy. I am hoping to install mine by this weekend.