Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aluminum radiator for not much $$$, pics inside.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 07:02 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aluminum radiator for not much $$$, pics inside.

Hey guys, I've been having trouble keeping the temps down on the highway. I'm using OEM Ford Probe V6 fans with a temp switch and still i get temps around 205-210 cruising.

So I decided to get an aluminum rad, turns out ebay has some pretty nice ones for around 160 shipped. I got mine from CXRacing.

Let me say this thing is BEEFY. It's 2.5" thick, and looks almost twice as thick as stock. Not to mention the welds look awesome.

Here's a pic of my stock rad, check out the cool corrosion and pitting:

Here's the 2 side by side:

And by the way, the rad will not fit perfectly because it's so thick, but a few taps with a rubber mallet on the brackets and the radiator fit just fine. I took a ride down the highway and temps were around 190-195 cruising, even on boost, which is where they should be.

Great mod, I want to polish it a bit later.

Old 10-02-09, 08:29 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this for an SC or a supra???
Old 10-02-09, 09:08 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

looks good freddy, thats what i was gonna get next. i already have two 14" fans that im gonna hardwire so it runs constantly. if u can send me the exact one you bought so i can get the same ... thanks dude. hows the paint ?
Old 10-02-09, 10:01 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

It fit perfectly then?
I know my Supra Koyo rad. needed spacers on the bottom so this must be an SC specific radiator. I wonder if the fin design and internal construction are as good as other radiators(?) Anyone know of testing being done anywhere on the net?
Old 10-02-09, 10:10 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
It fit perfectly then?
I know my Supra Koyo rad. needed spacers on the bottom so this must be an SC specific radiator. I wonder if the fin design and internal construction are as good as other radiators(?) Anyone know of testing being done anywhere on the net?
Why do you care, you don't have a SC anymore homie...or do you? haha JK buddy. Radiator looks nice and clean and it seems like it's doing the job
Old 10-02-09, 11:02 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah.. post what kind or maybe part number from the ebay auction you got it from etc... This could be a big solution to others.... I think your old radiator are just corroded inside from poor maintenace of previous owner (no offense if you were the original owner).... Glad that this solved your issue.
Old 10-02-09, 11:59 PM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

any weight difference?
Old 10-03-09, 06:14 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Was this for an SC or a supra???
It was for a Supra manual.

Originally Posted by davidv433
looks good freddy, thats what i was gonna get next. i already have two 14" fans that im gonna hardwire so it runs constantly. if u can send me the exact one you bought so i can get the same ... thanks dude. hows the paint ?
Don't hardwire fans to run all the time, just buy a temp switch from summit racing for 15 bucks. The SC alternator only puts out around 80 amps, and i'm running it past its limits as it is. I'm polishing my car tomorrow, and after that I'll do a photoshoot.

Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
It fit perfectly then?
i needed to hammer down a bracket at the bottom and bent the mounts at the top. I can see how spacers can be needed, but in all honesty, it looks good in the engine bay. The Supra and SC have nearly identical mounts. The welds look really solid, and internal construction and design is the same as the mishimoto rad. I don't know about the koyo rad, but I assume it's also similar. There is no slag on the inside, looks professionally put together.

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Yeah.. post what kind or maybe part number from the ebay auction you got it from etc... This could be a big solution to others.... I think your old radiator are just corroded inside from poor maintenace of previous owner (no offense if you were the original owner).... Glad that this solved your issue.
I can't post links to ebay, but just look for supra radiator. It's the one that costs $136 with $30 shipping. It's pretty much the exact same as the mishimoto radiator. My original rad had a HUGE hole in it. I bought a used one that apparently didn't do much good, as it corroded pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
any weight difference?
I think they weigh about the same.

Last edited by tavarish; 10-03-09 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-10-10, 10:56 PM
Access
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the write up

gonna get one
Old 12-11-10, 03:04 PM
GTESCTHREE
Driver School Candidate

Nice, I'm gonna get one too.
Old 12-12-10, 11:39 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What year is ur SC?
Is this what you got?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRac...item4cf351c7ac
Old 12-21-10, 11:51 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

How is this holding up, andy brownish water, problems concernes?
Old 04-03-13, 01:37 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Will this fit the V8?
Old 04-04-13, 09:57 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an old thread but I'm also in -- if I can buy a whole radiator instead of replacing the cracked coolant reservoir and at almost the same price, it's a no-brainer. I can handle finding the right upper & lower hoses.
Old 04-04-13, 11:51 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just want to add this bit of info for anyone wanting to install an aluminum radiator

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i just installed a mishimoto in my sc00 na-t 2 weeks ago .. it fits fine .. all you have to do is trim the battery tray slightly to acc the width of the new rad , fab up a quick l shaped bracket to mount the shroud on the pass side for drivers side lines up, trim the bottom to fit bottom rad hose and drain ***** and again fab a quick little l shaped bracket to secure the bottom shroud and as far as height , dont bend the the brackets just flip the stock rubber upside down and it raises the rad to proper height and the top mount bracket just flatten out just a tad and it will mount up top just fine
I have the Mishimoto installed on my car and it fits like a glove. It looks factory pretty much. I don't know exactly what my installer did but I gave him that piece of info when he installed it.

Last edited by Clean400; 04-04-13 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Aluminum radiator for not much $$$, pics inside.