Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stock 1JZ going Single.. Turbonetics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 09:38 AM
96sc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FuMoFFuTT
this thread's pretty informative actually.. didn't know it would only cost $2-3k to do a descent setup..
Depends on what your ultimate goals are and are you talking NA-T or already TT, what other mods do you have now, are you auto or manual tranny, what rear end do you have? These are all play a big part in how much you will spend because not just your motor has to support the power load. Your tranny, clutch rear end ect... will be taking a beating as well.

But yea to have a decent set up as far as going single and you are buying some guality parts and not used you are easily looking into $3,000.

Last edited by 96sc300; 10-14-09 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-14-09, 10:02 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U said up next is dr. tweaks wiring harness conversion??? Do u even have the 1jz in the car and up and running yet??? I might have just misunder stood u but i would definatly not spend money on going single until u have made sure A. u got a good motor. B. It runs perfect. C. u do prevenative maintaince, tune up, belts, checking for leaks, check compression, replace seals ect..... And like everyone else said that turbo should work for ur number goals and seems like a good price but im always leary about parts that have been sold twice..... just my 2 cents
Old 10-21-09, 09:05 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ I have stock tranny (Auto) and stock rear end, but I plan to install an MKIV TT LSD.

^ I have the motor in my garage, it's not installed 'cus I still need the other components, like Dr. Tweaks Harness, etc.
So Im putting all the pieces together slowly but surely.
Im guessing the cars not gonna be ready 'til Spring time; so given that, Im thinking of aquiring everything I need, right off the bat; as-in I may go further and buy Pistons/Rods, Head Studs, Gaskets etc.
Transmission will be last, most likely. I want the car to run first, and if it has the potential to make 500 (or whatever crazy Hp) then great, but I wont up the boost and actually produce that power, until I've up'd the tranny.
I'll just keep the car at whatever Hp I can be safe at, with what I've got; say.. if its 350 w/ stock tranny; then 350's where I'll stay.
Thats still better than stock Hp, which was already fast and fun anyway.

What sort of pistons/rods are good for my application?
I heard MKIV Supra TT internals are good to 800Hp, is that true?
Can I put Supra TT Rods/Pistons in my 1JZ and call it a day?
Also, is there a thicker Head Gasket I could benefit from using, like I hear them talkin' about w/ NA-T setups?

Last edited by SEIDO; 10-21-09 at 09:09 AM.