Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1999 SC400 vvti Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 01:06 PM
bcsc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Victoria
The fellow has a shop at his house.
Old 10-13-09, 02:10 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. So you say a noticeable power/HP difference?
Old 10-13-09, 02:27 PM
bcsc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Interesting. So you say a noticeable power/HP difference?
Yes.
I wanted an exhaust that made power in the lower to mid RPM range.
It really pulls hard now. Next up is the BFI mod or I'm also thinking about a SRT Intake.
Old 11-26-09, 06:02 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bcsc400
Yes.
I wanted an exhaust that made power in the lower to mid RPM range.
It really pulls hard now. Next up is the BFI mod or I'm also thinking about a SRT Intake.
I just did my custom bfi mod and let me tell you, it's much more powerful in the highend. I wouldn't bother with the SRT as I feel it wouldn't do much more than what I have now. I paid $5.00 total to a bfi, Lol..
Old 11-30-09, 08:28 AM
bcsc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scfou
I just did my custom bfi mod and let me tell you, it's much more powerful in the highend. I wouldn't bother with the SRT as I feel it wouldn't do much more than what I have now. I paid $5.00 total to a bfi, Lol..
I have all the parts for the BFI sitting in my garage, just need to find the time to do the install.
Old 11-30-09, 05:44 PM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that is some quality welding. I havent seen welds done that well by hand ever
Old 12-17-09, 04:50 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Some more pics.
this is nice i wish i could get my 300 to sound like that.
Old 12-17-09, 07:20 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

First of all let me say that is the NICEST workmanship I have seen in a long time. Much better than I am capable of. Would love to have that guy nearby for some projects planned.

Second very nice design with only a couple of things I would have done differently that would IMO made for better performance and saved money.

I would suggest NOT to use the Magnaflow Y pipes. Especially with a skilled craftsman such as this man I would have had him build the rear Y pipe by hand. My problem with the Magnaflows is they have way too much collector volume. This does not help power or torque.

For the front I would NOT cut off the factory Y pipe section. On your design that is what is done and only a short segment of 2.25" is used on each side prior to the Y pipe and the rest of the stock Y pipe 1.97" pipe is used from each cat. This is NOT a problem and in fact I would recommend keeping all of the stock front Y pipe. From there using the 2.5" resonator just like you have is a very good choice.

So, if you or someone else wanted to duplicate this design (which is as good as I have seen except where noted) simply cut the stock front Y pipe right after the stock merge, add the resonator, have a 2.5" into 2.25" merge built to split back into duals (a good fabricator would have no problem with this) and duplicate the balance of the system. On a budget running the stock final mufflers would also be fine.

Again, very nice work

Here is the front section that took a lot of fabrication time that I would not recommend. Just use the stock Y up to the resonator.

Here is the design I suggest for building the second splitting 2.50" - 2.25" merge. (I haven't welded it up yet)
Attached Thumbnails 1999 SC400 vvti Custom Exhaust-headers-007.jpg  
Old 12-17-09, 09:39 PM
bcsc400
Pole Position

Thanks jbrady.
I thought the merge on the stock front y pipe was too restrictive?
I actually used the Magnaflow Y to save money. My first choice was to have Kenny make the Y, but his quality of work is expensive. I do now wish I had spent the extra $.
I have been thinking about headers so I might end up changing it.
Old 12-17-09, 10:15 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Do you plan on having the same guy make custom headers for you? If so how much? I'm curious to see what a guy with such skills charges for custom equal length headers.
Old 12-17-09, 11:50 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thanks jbrady.
I thought the merge on the stock front y pipe was too restrictive?
I actually used the Magnaflow Y to save money. My first choice was to have Kenny make the Y, but his quality of work is expensive. I do now wish I had spent the extra $.
I have been thinking about headers so I might end up changing it.
The stock Y pipe flows easily away from the engine but poorly back towards it. It places the point of acceration in the primaries instead of the collector which is a big part of the reason the other being shape. It has supported 400rwhp on supercharged cars. I do believe it can be improved upon but I have yet to see one built. By keeping the small 1.97" primary pipes you have kept part of the high torque stock design. If you had kept the stock Y merge you would have even more low end torque than you have now.

The headers will definitely wake up the car even more.
Old 12-17-09, 11:53 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Da Coupe
Do you plan on having the same guy make custom headers for you? If so how much? I'm curious to see what a guy with such skills charges for custom equal length headers.
Obviously this craftsman has the skills to build whatever header design one would like. That said it would be expensive. On engines such as ours with very short valve timing and virtually no overlap the need for "tuned" long tube headers is low compared to a long duration valve timing engine. What is needed are headers that keep velocity high while allowing more peak flow.
Old 12-18-09, 08:31 AM
bcsc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jbrady
Obviously this craftsman has the skills to build whatever header design one would like. That said it would be expensive. On engines such as ours with very short valve timing and virtually no overlap the need for "tuned" long tube headers is low compared to a long duration valve timing engine. What is needed are headers that keep velocity high while allowing more peak flow.
Yes, the headers my friend Kenny builds are works of art.
Unfortunately I don't think I could afford them.
The headers and exhaust on his mint V8 TVR is amazing!
I have been considering the IMF headers.
jbrady, what is you opinion on these?
Attached Thumbnails 1999 SC400 vvti Custom Exhaust-1219528774194368131478.jpg  
Old 12-18-09, 12:29 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Yes, the headers my friend Kenny builds are works of art.
Unfortunately I don't think I could afford them.
The headers and exhaust on his mint V8 TVR is amazing!
I have been considering the IMF headers.
jbrady, what is you opinion on these?
I don't know how close they will come to your downpipes. They do eliminate using the cats in the stock locations. I would prefer slightly smaller tube sizes but everything is a compromise and for the price the IMF parts are hard to beat. If I had an SC400 I would probably go with them. If the outlets need modifying I would actually change the collectors but that will cost as much as the headers themselves. I would also relocate the stock cats under the car in the Y pipe. I am sure your craftsman will have no problem with making any changes although he may not want to do the actual install.
Old 12-19-09, 12:57 AM
Da Coupe
Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
Glad to know this as the IMF headers have been tempting for the price. What mods would you do to the collectors? I plan on building an exhaust using (2) 100 cell cats, burns stainless x pipe, (2) vibrant resonators exiting through (2) burns stainless ultra light 2stage mufflers and probably go with IMF headers. What's your thoughts on this setup? It's for a 1uz vvti also.

Quick Reply: 1999 SC400 vvti Custom Exhaust