Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stock SC300's are slow :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-02, 02:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh ok

the Toyomoto stage 1.5 is $7k

stage 1 is $5k i believe

and it won't cost $3k to install this thing; if it does; you got ripped off

and if you want, you can come up to Mobile when I buy mine if you buy yours at the same time; and I'll help you install it for free

Last edited by Bean; 04-29-02 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-29-02, 03:22 PM
lex1997
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Marcus Frost
I think the SC300 has plenty of power and a surprising amount of torque too. I was very plesently surprised at how well it performed. It sounds like you are just some young kid looking for a "super duper fast ride to race around in" in which case I don't think the SC300 is for you. Go buy an RSX or keep your Jetta, because there are probably a lot of cars that are faster than an SC300. The SC300 is more of a luxury sport coupe meant to be comfortable, luxurious, and reliable... not necessarily fast.

I think it's plenty fast... and not to sound egotistical, but I have a 900hp Supra... so I definitely know what fast is.

-m
How much do asking for your Stealth TT ?
Old 04-29-02, 04:04 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

I thought you were selling your sc bean?

Also supposedly toyomoto is coming out with a stage one turbo kit for 6500 that bolts on

Jason
Old 04-29-02, 04:18 PM
Marcus Frost
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by lex1997

How much do asking for your Stealth TT ?
I'm taking reasonable offers right now... if you've got cash I'll give you a good deal

Email me - primo@enteract.com

-m
Old 04-29-02, 04:21 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

15sec or 14sec cars are quick if you sleep on them I had plenty of 13sec cars(Z28s,5.0GTs) sleep on my GS and they paid the consiqences for it did I spell that right!!!
Old 04-29-02, 04:34 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Default Re: Stock SC300's are slow :(

Originally posted by Greylor
Well I just testdrove my first Sc300. It was a 5spd 1992 with 120k miles on it. Reasonably good condition. Some of the leather had ripped. But the car was actually A LOT slower than I thought it would be. My Jetta would beat it hands down, my friends RSX would eat it alive. I loved the interior and the luxury, but the speed is just not comparable.
I'd suggest finding another '92 SC300 to drive to compare them. Last week I bought my first Lexus, a car very much like the one you test drove. Mine is also a '92 5-speed, and has about 130K miles on it.

My previous car was a '95 RS Integra (predecessor to the current RSX - base model, none of that VTEC or Type-R stuff), and although the Integra is very "zippy" for lack of a better word, it is not a faster car than my SC300. My Lexus even needs new rear tires and I'm confident it would have spanked my Integra in the 0-60 or the 1/4.

However, you may not get the sensation of speed or acceleration in the SC300 that you get in a Jetta. The SC300 is quieter, smoother, a heavier car, and is intended to be more of a sport tourer like the Stealth (at least that is my impression). It's not a drag racer or a canyon carver (not stock at least).

The SC300 insulates you from the outside more than cars like the Integra and the Jetta. It goes 100mph without any hint of a strain, whereas my Integra would have sounded like a leaf blower about to explode.

It's my experience, having owned big cars and little cars, that small cars give a stronger illusion of speed and acceleration, but it's just that; an illusion.

As previously mentioned, the Lexus you drove could also have a tired or blown engine. That's why I think a comparison with another SC300 might be useful.

Ral

Last edited by RalAegidius; 04-29-02 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-29-02, 04:46 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah bean, i thought u r selling ur SC?
but dude, if u ever get ur kit, i'll take up on your offer and have you install it for me

the_ez_rhino, what's this new stage 1 bolt on?
what's the difference?
i don't even need the 1.5
stage 1 would be plenty fast for me.
Old 04-29-02, 05:41 PM
Greylor
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Stock SC300's are slow :(

Originally posted by RalAegidius

I'd suggest finding another '92 SC300 to drive to compare them. Last week I bought my first Lexus, a car very much like the one you test drove. Mine is also a '92 5-speed, and has about 130K miles on it.

My previous car was a '95 RS Integra (predecessor to the current RSX - base model, none of that VTEC or Type-R stuff), and although the Integra is very "zippy" for lack of a better word, it is not a faster car than my SC300. My Lexus even needs new rear tires and I'm confident it would have spanked my Integra in the 0-60 or the 1/4.

However, you may not get the sensation of speed or acceleration in the SC300 that you get in a Jetta. The SC300 is quieter, smoother, a heavier car, and is intended to be more of a sport tourer like the Stealth (at least that is my impression). It's not a drag racer or a canyon carver (not stock at least).

The SC300 insulates you from the outside more than cars like the Integra and the Jetta. It goes 100mph without any hint of a strain, whereas my Integra would have sounded like a leaf blower about to explode.

It's my experience, having owned big cars and little cars, that small cars give a stronger illusion of speed and acceleration, but it's just that; an illusion.

As previously mentioned, the Lexus you drove could also have a tired or blown engine. That's why I think a comparison with another SC300 might be useful.

Ral
I agree with most of that. But I was watching the needle and in second gear the car just wasn't doing much. The Jetta is actually very sound proof at high speeds. My first car was a neon, THE WHEEL SHOOK ABOVE 80!

I don't know, this has been an exhausting experience. I thought finding a car would be so much easier. Oh well, live and learn.

Btw, a car that just popped up near me is a 1992 Mitsubishi VR4. Anybody know anything about it?? Reliability wise and mod wise?

Matt
Old 04-29-02, 07:17 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its any comparison, I had what I thought was a pretty quick 96 Integra GSR. The SC300 (stock 92 5spd) with its rear wheel drive could launch harder, but the GSRs lighter weight would almost make it even in 0-60. After 60, the SC300 definitely pulls harder from 80-130, and was quicker through the quarter mile in both trap and ET.

As far as the Toyomoto kit is concerned, I love mine!
Old 04-29-02, 07:52 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Yes, I was dead even with a bone stock integra the other day until 3rd gear (I did have 3 ppl in car compared to his one tho), but after I hit 3rd I smoked him.

As for the toyomoto kit, supposedly it is bolt on, 320 rwhp, stage 1. Thats the same hp as the supratt. But from there on id assume it would be very easy to get it up to 400rwhp

Jason
Old 04-30-02, 06:30 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stay away from early model VR4s

trannies like to explode

94+ is the year to get IF you get it; and even then the tranny still isn't strong enough but its the better one of the two; and its a super heavy car; far heavier than a SC

I'm keeping my SC for now; I'm going to upgrade the suspension; if it isn't to my liking; then I'll sell it. I want a car that can handle too; a SC3 with full suspension may be enough for me; I don't know.

As for the Stage I "bolt-on" kit; if its $6k he raised his prices. And all those turbo kits are "bolt-on" I don't know of any custom welding needed

Last edited by Bean; 04-30-02 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-30-02, 07:24 AM
Marcus Frost
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Greylor
First off, yes I am young (22) I admit it. However I don't think that keeps me from liking nice things.

I am not just looking for a hot rod. If I were, I would buy a civic or CRX for 3 grand and put 13 grand into it.
What I'm looking for is a good mix of reliability, derivability, comfort, cargo room, and speed. It would also be nice to have something reasonably unique, which is why I was looking at the SC300 in the first place. But speed is high on the list. If I can't find something faster then my Jetta, I might as well keep it. It has a reasonable amount of the other five qualifications.

Yes manaray your right. I guess I shouldn't have expected a 10-year-old car to be as fast or handle as well as a brand new car or a 2-year-old car. And I don't discount the possibility that there was something wrong with that car. It sounded fine but there was some rust and the driver's seat had a nice big rip in it.

I really don't see the need to be insulted. I'm new to the game and I admit that. I came here asking legitimate questions, and got some very good answers.

If not, oh well. Thanks to everyone who offered advice, or constructive criticism.

Matt
Matt,

I was thinking you were still in your teens. I hope I'm not insulting you because that's not what I am trying to do, rather I am just trying to put in perspective who and what the SC300 was made for. I have nothing against youth as I myself am 20, but from the sounds of your post you seem to totally discredit the SC simply because it's not that fast and that is a mentality a lot of teenagers and generally younger car buyers have. Again, take into consideration the fact that it is a decade old, it wasn't designed for killer speed, and the one you drove just may have problems.

Do you drive a 1.8T Jetta? I used to have an Audi 1.8TQ 5-speed, Chip + Exhaust (~220hp / ~260tq) and the Lexus feels very similar in power with a bit more on top (the quattro made the car feel like a dog at higher speeds, too much drivetrain loss). If you are just looking for a fast somewhat refined car, you can't go wrong with an Audi/VW using the 1.8T powerplant: easy upgradeability, plenty of power, and well engineered overall. I'm not exactly sure what pricerange you are in, but you've got a lot of options. Maybe go drive a newer 5-speed SC300, even if you aren't in the position to buy it, so you can minimize the chances of it having problems.

The SC traps (quarter mile trap speed) in the low to mid 90mph range, which definitely means it has some power. My old A4 would probably trap at 90mph on a good day. Trap speed is a great indicator of a car's power. The new RSX Type S runs trap speeds in the same range, which means that the SC300 is about even with the RSX in terms of straight line acceleration. If you feel the SC300 you were in would have gotten smoked, either your seat of the pants impression was too cushioned by the SC's soft ride, or there was something wrong with that car.

Good luck,

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 04-30-02 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-30-02, 09:09 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Stock SC300's are slow
Slow is a state of mind that results as a matter of perspective.

That winning lottery ticket has my name on it. I just need to find it. Any ideas?
Old 04-27-03, 04:30 PM
qmtran
Driver

how fast is a sc300 w/ an auto tranny e.t.??
Old 04-27-03, 08:21 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Not to insult anyone, but since I 've been hanging out at CL how many times did I see someone come here and say, "I am looking into buying an SC but I want to know how I can make it faster?" My question is: Is everyone drag racing? If you're the type that doesn't race everyone at every traffic light, than I can tell you the SCs are some of the most comfortable cars on the highway going 70+mph, that they are some of the smoothest running cars at idle while offering leather heated seats(some cases), traction control, and many other goodies. But if that's not what excites you then maybe you should look elsewhere.

In my opinion these cars have pretty decent speed too.

P.S. I also smile when the 540 next to me downshifts, takes off like a rabbit going down the left lane only to have me next to him at the next red light.

Quick Reply: Stock SC300's are slow :(