Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stock SC300's are slow :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-03, 05:20 PM
racing fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RSTSpeed

Also, some1 earlier in this thread said "don't get the 2JZ-GTE, just get the turbo kit" - I don't remember who. I know A LOT of you guys (Mr. Banks included) are huge fans of that otption, but to me it seems that the GTE would 1)take more punishment, 2)be more reliable in the long run, and 3)simply outlast ANY NA-T (Naturally Aspirated to Turbo) engine. Now, I don't have the GTE or an NA-T, but I want it in the worst way (SEE SIG, lol). Cost wise, the two are easily comparable depending on labor costs, how much you do on your own and what additional upgrades you throw into the mix. E.G. - swap in a midly-used GTE engine with the ECU, do the wiring yourself, and you could feasably be done with it and be in for ~$5-6 g's...of course you need some other small stuff, like fuel pump(s), but the NA-T needs them, too. Anycrap, that's my opinion. If somebody could break it down on why the NA-T is the better deal (and not give that B.S. "just cuz" or "I have one, and I like it" crap) go for it. .... and no offense to you NA-T guys, I have much respect for the turbo
I'm one of the guys tahtsays turbo the na-t... Heres why You can buy our turbo kit, built transmission, restalled tc, aem, thicker hg, and soon fuel system and have a hell of a car... To have the same with a gte swapped in you will need to buy the gte longblock, custom wiring mess, custom driveshaft PLUS the above mentioned things minus a thicker headgasket.

The argument that the gte is a mcuh better engine is a baseless one imo. The ge only lacks the oil squirters... and we have made 1040rwhp without the benefit of the oil squirters in a supra.... As far as the head... vinny ten has been using this head for years.... The only weak point in these cars stock is the transmissions... we caaan rebuild the autos to handle as much as our built supra tt auto but if you have a 5spd you will need to upgrade to a getrag eventually.
Old 12-05-03, 09:50 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by racing fan
I'm one of the guys tahtsays turbo the na-t... Heres why You can buy our turbo kit, built transmission, restalled tc, aem, thicker hg, and soon fuel system and have a hell of a car... To have the same with a gte swapped in you will need to buy the gte longblock, custom wiring mess, custom driveshaft PLUS the above mentioned things minus a thicker headgasket.

The argument that the gte is a mcuh better engine is a baseless one imo. The ge only lacks the oil squirters... and we have made 1040rwhp without the benefit of the oil squirters in a supra.... As far as the head... vinny ten has been using this head for years.... The only weak point in these cars stock is the transmissions... we caaan rebuild the autos to handle as much as our built supra tt auto but if you have a 5spd you will need to upgrade to a getrag eventually.
Well, you don't HAVE to get thee AEM either way, but it would probably be the best over-all choice for the NA-T.... You can pick up a used GTE (w/o turbos) for under $1500, used GTE ECU for @ $200, from the right person. As far as the oil squirters: TRD put them their for a reason, and the GE basically becomes a single-turbo GTE once you slap on a turbo. Anyways, I'm not trying to argue or insult, but you didn't give me a legit reason why the NA-T is the way to go; you just gave your opinion, which I'm not trying to knock. I agree with you on the head part - I've heard/read the GE head actually has larger ports and thus prefroms better. The concern I have with the NA-T is long-term reliability, which nobody really knows about yet since people have not been doing this for THAT long.... relatively speaking. P.S. - sorry for semi-hijacking this thread, I'll shut up now.
Old 12-06-03, 02:00 AM
racing fan
Driver

Well, you don't HAVE to get thee AEM either way, but it would probably be the best over-all choice for the NA-T.... You can pick up a used GTE (w/o turbos) for under $1500, used GTE ECU for @ $200, from the right person. As far as the oil squirters: TRD put them their for a reason, and the GE basically becomes a single-turbo GTE once you slap on a turbo. Anyways, I'm not trying to argue or insult, but you didn't give me a legit reason why the NA-T is the way to go; you just gave your opinion, which I'm not trying to knock. I agree with you on the head part - I've heard/read the GE head actually has larger ports and thus prefroms better. The concern I have with the NA-T is long-term reliability, which nobody really knows about yet since people have not been doing this for THAT long.... relatively speaking. P.S. - sorry for semi-hijacking this thread, I'll shut up now.
1) I used the aem for a comparison at over 500rwhp as on a gte supra you would need to upgrade the elctronics and the aem is a good/priced well solution. Just trying to compare apples to apples ge-t vs a gte

2)Used gte for 1500? Where.... for a full longblock/wiring harness? I'll buy a few seriously.... I've never seen a price that low...

3) IMO the oil squirters are their primarily for extended period racing(road racing) Whenever you upgrade to a forged piston on a gte engine(pretty much all the built engines over 1000rwhp including the 1600+rwhp solara engines) you lose the major advantage of the oil squirters as aftermarket pistons don't have teh gallerys the stock pistons do.....

High power na-t cars are coming up.... There are however a few people that have been running them for years without issues... dave h being the best example. over 3 years at over 500rwhp through an auto... same block throughout....

So heres the reason to go na-t over gte....
You get more for the money. That is what I was trying to say when comparing a 500rwhp+ gte vs ge... you will spend alot more on the gte swap. My opinon on this comes from my personal experience. I have a fairly built na-t sc... if I were to have gone the gte swap route, I would have spent alot more to be at the same level I'm currently at.
Old 12-06-03, 11:57 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

1) Oh, ok.

2) I've seen them online, never in person, so I couldn't tell you what kind of condtion they're in. And now that I say that, I think they were more like $2g's, not $1500... oops.

3)I don't know about the oil squirters... my basic reason for wanting them is that Toyota did MAJOR R&D for/on this engine, and they put them there for a reason. I don't know.....

Dave H's Supra is NA-T?? Didn't know that...

As far as cost goes, I guess it just depends the deals you get and how much labor you have to have done. I havn't done a ton of research or anything, but it seems to me that no matter what route you go, you should expect to pay at least $6k (if you do all the labor yourself) to $10k, or more.
Old 12-07-03, 10:14 PM
racing fan
Driver

1) Oh, ok.

2) I've seen them online, never in person, so I couldn't tell you what kind of condtion they're in. And now that I say that, I think they were more like $2g's, not $1500... oops.

3)I don't know about the oil squirters... my basic reason for wanting them is that Toyota did MAJOR R&D for/on this engine, and they put them there for a reason. I don't know.....

Dave H's Supra is NA-T?? Didn't know that...

As far as cost goes, I guess it just depends the deals you get and how much labor you have to have done. I havn't done a ton of research or anything, but it seems to me that no matter what route you go, you should expect to pay at least $6k (if you do all the labor yourself) to $10k, or more.
2) still need a wiring harness for that engine... Plus the lowest price I see them for is 5k for a clip...

3) Squirters are there for a reason... but imo they don't make taht big of a difference unless you are road racing..... case and point... bullish solarras don't have their advantage...

As far as cost goes... You have to see what you get for the money and compare it for what you want in the long run....
Old 12-07-03, 11:45 PM
lexus_sc400_n20
Pole Position

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
Its gonna take alot of work to get in the 14s but it can be done. As far as having a STOCK SC300 in the 14s.....I will have to see it with my own eyes. Most CL members post high 15s Stock.
...with better tires i could have done it. took my bone stock SC300 for a baseline before i modded. Ran a 15.01 @ 91.5mph. on the stock 16" wheels with 225's (like regular highway tires)
Old 12-11-03, 11:14 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Best I could muster with a Sc300 with an Automatic transmision is a 16.809@ 84.48 MPH. at a track that is a at 3075 Feet above sea level. That was after a tune up, before that It ran 17.289 as my best run....

Discounting altitude I can't believe the Auto SC300 is a FULL or second slower or MORE then its manual brother. Jesus. Gearing on the auto tranny sucks Big Floppy.... Ho Hos.... I HATE my tranny. And it Hates me with its slow shifting slow revving antics.
Old 12-11-03, 05:09 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Statistically an auto SC300 puts down a little over 150 wheel hp, and even less wheel torque. This is not really enough for a car that weighs 3,500 lbs.

Everyone basically does the 2JZ-GTE swap and ends up selling off the GE motor. Maybe in a few years I'll end up doing that, you never know.
Old 12-11-03, 05:27 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SC400-V8
Everyone basically does the 2JZ-GTE swap and ends up selling off the GE motor.
I think there are many more single turbo GE guys here than you think.
Old 12-11-03, 05:30 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

But are the GE motors as sturdy and hold up as well under boost as a factory built GTE?
Old 12-11-03, 06:26 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hermosa
I think there are many more single turbo GE guys here than you think.
Yup, I would say NA-Ts out number GTEs

But are the GE motors as sturdy and hold up as well under boost as a factory built GTE?
They're just as "sturdy", but I do wonder about how boost affects them vs. the gte. ACK!! I said I'd shut up! Sorry... heh
Old 12-11-03, 07:27 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

vs how much for a manual SC in a dyno?

Btw personally I want the swap, so that I can install the GE into an older rwd toyota, like an MK2 supra and have that as my daily... thats my plan :-D
Old 12-11-03, 09:45 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

The dyno results for an SC300 5 spd is better, 170 rwhp. The power dist. of the auto is 70%, and the 5 spd is 75%.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&goto=newpost

In fact, a 5 spd has similar horsepower at the wheels as an SC400.... Its a good thing we have a torque advantage.

(about 3 seconds until someone contests this one)
Old 12-11-03, 09:51 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

(about 3 seconds until someone contests this one)
lol

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 12-11-03 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-12-03, 02:33 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Inabj2
vs how much for a manual SC in a dyno?

Btw personally I want the swap, so that I can install the GE into an older rwd toyota, like an MK2 supra and have that as my daily... thats my plan :-D
Thats about one 1/3rd loss for power train loss for the SC300 in autos. 25 or so percent power loss for the manual, is it me or does that seem a bit EXCESSIVE in how much power this tranny robs? On most cars, manuals take about 15-18 percent power loss, and slightly over 20 percent power loss for the autos.

Altima 3.5SE is supposed to have 20 hp more then a SC300, but on dyno it has more like 50 to 60 whp more (197 whp for auto stock 207 whp for manual stock, hp rating 245 hp crank). Granted it is fwd and thus losses less power . But Im seriously starting to think that the engines in the lexus are really overated. Unless our trannies are really that innefiecent useless junk.

Lexus is pulling the opposite of what Pony cars are doing when it comes to claimed power output ratings. I could be wrong though.

From the Dynoes I wouldn't be shocked if the 225 hp for the sc300 came more like 200-210 or so at the crank.

Quick Reply: Stock SC300's are slow :(