Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Head Game Whats The Difference VVTi Head VS. Non VVTi Head

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 01:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
I think the only way you will see the difference between the Heads is if you are making some Big HP #s.You probably wouldn't feel the difference at 500Rwhp.
What ECU are you gonna use after you delete the dist?
werd, I think he was saying aem ems.
he is making me rethink your offer on that vvti head.. lol.
I dunno why everyone thinks they have to go standalone when they do this.
if you have to rewire your harness for the entire COP setup for an AEM EMS (like me) and add the IAT and map sensor for the AEM EMS (like me).
At this point majority of your ecu pins are in the same spot as a stock TT Supra (yes, it really is). with a stock 2jz map sensor and injectors to match you can just run a stock JDM TT ecu. of course this is only good up to like stock boost levels until you have to start throwing additional money at the problem.

Omar, I saw this 1jz hks fcon on ebay today with harness and everything for a good price. maybe you should check that out, they are pretty popular on the 1J.
Old 10-26-09, 07:32 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
werd, I think he was saying aem ems.
he is making me rethink your offer on that vvti head.. lol.
I dunno why everyone thinks they have to go standalone when they do this.
if you have to rewire your harness for the entire COP setup for an AEM EMS (like me) and add the IAT and map sensor for the AEM EMS (like me).
At this point majority of your ecu pins are in the same spot as a stock TT Supra (yes, it really is). with a stock 2jz map sensor and injectors to match you can just run a stock JDM TT ecu. of course this is only good up to like stock boost levels until you have to start throwing additional money at the problem.
you make a good point about not needing a standalone to run this set up but wouldnt a TT ecu be config to run the two-way turbo boost ? Are VVTi cars MAP or MAF plus not looking to make power with this conversion. I just want the clean looks and efficency of having COP spark. If my horsepower is increased my doing so it just a good by product. ok this is what I have come up with so far.

1. I need the VVti head (obviously)
2. I need to remove the VVTi Solenoid
3. Machine NA or GTE Intake cam to fit the VVti head( Exhaust side should fit without any mod)
4. The intake manifold on a VVti head is diiferent than a NA head (not sure about this)
5. would need some parts of a VVti wireharness to wire in to my NA harness
6. VVti GE oil pump or TT

kinda stuck at this point still researching any more input ??
Old 10-26-09, 07:39 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me check on the intake manifold and see what the difference is!! I have both heads and both intake manifold lower runners also.
Old 10-26-09, 08:13 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

VVti GE in US is Maf ,JDM is Map
Old 10-26-09, 08:37 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Let me check on the intake manifold and see what the difference is!! I have both heads and both intake manifold lower runners also.
let me know what are the differences if any
Old 10-27-09, 10:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
you make a good point about not needing a standalone to run this set up but wouldnt a TT ecu be config to run the two-way turbo boost ? Are VVTi cars MAP or MAF plus not looking to make power with this conversion. I just want the clean looks and efficency of having COP spark. If my horsepower is increased my doing so it just a good by product. ok this is what I have come up with so far.

1. I need the VVti head (obviously)
2. I need to remove the VVTi Solenoid
3. Machine NA or GTE Intake cam to fit the VVti head( Exhaust side should fit without any mod)
4. The intake manifold on a VVti head is diiferent than a NA head (not sure about this)
5. would need some parts of a VVti wireharness to wire in to my NA harness
6. VVti GE oil pump or TT

kinda stuck at this point still researching any more input ??
when stock TT owners upgrade to single turbo their cars run just fine. the ecu has at least all of the output a ge motor requires. the boost all gets fed into the same place, it cant tell the difference. get a JDM TT ecu and you can use a map sensor, unlike US TT ecu's that still use a hotwire maf.

vvti cars are still maf, but they are hotwire which is better for turbo than US odb1 2jzge which use a KVF (early sc300's).

oh and if you really do decide to do this, I have some schematics I got from a fellow member you can use to make your own COP hareness.
you basically wire all the triggers from the ecu to the ignitor. then from the ignitor to the coils, a tach wire, and a beefy power wire. I ordered some small ecu pins from AEM so my harness will plug right into my ecu connector.
Old 10-27-09, 10:50 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

when stock TT owners upgrade to single turbo their cars run just fine. the ecu has at least all of the output a ge motor requires. the boost all gets fed into the same place, it cant tell the difference. get a JDM TT ecu and you can use a map sensor, unlike US TT ecu's that still use a hotwire maf.

vvti cars are still maf, but they are hotwire which is better for turbo than US odb1 2jzge which use a KVF (early sc300's).

oh and if you really do decide to do this, I have some schematics I got from a fellow member you can use to make your own COP hareness.
you basically wire all the triggers from the ecu to the ignitor. then from the ignitor to the coils, a tach wire, and a beefy power wire. I ordered some small ecu pins from AEM so my harness will plug right into my ecu connector.
this is getting really interesting hmmmm ? Can you send hook me up with those schematics so i can see what i got get into it really would help. Also if I get the GTE MAP sensor that Driftmotion sells and a TT JDM ecu wire it up like u stated above "hypothetically" it should work.
Old 10-27-09, 12:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

PM me your email address and I will forward them to you.

If you get a JDM ecu, you will need:
stock map sensor, Iat, injectors that match (JDM is 440cc), TT ignitor, TT coilpacks, and all the wiring (you *have* to make your own harness for the ignition system, unless you switch to a GTE harness, which is even more work cause the plugs wont work on a GE).

The TT ecu needs the signals from the cam sensors you were originally talking about.
It can get this from your new vvti head, or you can leave the base of your distributor in there, which is already giving our stock 2jz-ge these same signals.

I tried to buy the harness seperate, but it is part of the main engine harness.
in reality, its only running 7 new wires from ecu to ignitor which doesnt take very long.
then you need to run 6 wires from ignitor to coils, and one big power wire. and connect tach wire to right spot.
you will need to solder stuff. if you are not good with wires or soldering, I wouldn't recommend trying it.

here is a link of what the part from the ignitor to the coils looks like:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...s-harness.html
Old 10-27-09, 01:47 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

PM sent......
Old 10-27-09, 03:15 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

PM me your email address and I will forward them to you.

If you get a JDM ecu, you will need:
stock map sensor, Iat, injectors that match (JDM is 440cc), TT ignitor, TT coilpacks, and all the wiring (you *have* to make your own harness for the ignition system, unless you switch to a GTE harness, which is even more work cause the plugs wont work on a GE).

The TT ecu needs the signals from the cam sensors you were originally talking about.
It can get this from your new vvti head, or you can leave the base of your distributor in there, which is already giving our stock 2jz-ge these same signals.

I tried to buy the harness seperate, but it is part of the main engine harness.
in reality, its only running 7 new wires from ecu to ignitor which doesnt take very long.
then you need to run 6 wires from ignitor to coils, and one big power wire. and connect tach wire to right spot.
you will need to solder stuff. if you are not good with wires or soldering, I wouldn't recommend trying it.

here is a link of what the part from the ignitor to the coils looks like:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...s-harness.html

wiring should be similar to this correct ???

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=347719
Old 10-27-09, 10:43 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

man whered u find that, in all my searching i didn't see that thread.

yeah thats basically it, except im using a TT igniter and coils, so I have to run 6 wires instead of 3 wires on both sides.
Old 01-06-10, 02:58 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Ali SC3 or Motorheaddown or someone that is currently COP. Trying to finalize my need to buy list for cop conversion so hope you guys can give some input. After reading a few threads such as these........

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=571928
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=565544
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=571600
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=534874

I have come to the conclusion that I would like to run AEM ecu with cam sensor welded onto the head. Now that being said here is what I think i need to buy to complet this if i need to add something please let me know do I still need an MKIII CPS?....

Cam Position Sensor for head
GTE Cams
TT Oil Pump w/ TT Crank Gear
TT Crank Position Sensor
VVTi Coil Packs
VVTi Ignitor
AEM ems (not sure on which model)
FFIM (Coil packs wont clear NA intak mani)

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 01-06-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 05:42 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Ali SC3 or Motorheaddown or someone that is currently COP. Trying to finalize my need to buy list for cop conversion so hope you guys can give some input. After reading a few threads such as these........

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=571928
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=565544
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=571600
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=534874

I have come to the conclusion that I would like to run AEM ecu with cam sensor welded onto the head. Now that being said here is what I think i need to buy to complet this if i need to add something please let me know do I still need an MKIII CPS?....

Cam Position Sensor for head
GTE Cams
TT Oil Pump w/ TT Crank Gear
TT Crank Position Sensor
VVTi Coil Packs
VVTi Ignitor
AEM ems (not sure on which model)
FFIM (Coil packs wont clear NA intak mani)

Come on man lol what about the GTE Swap
Old 01-07-10, 06:24 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Come on man lol what about the GTE Swap
LoL i know its that there is so many different ways to go with a build i get confused but i think this is the route that I am going to go. I hope i wont change my mind though LoL .... Hey did you ever find out about the differences in the head ????

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 01-07-10 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 10:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

lol man, you have confused the @#$# out of me as to what you are trying to do.

i do know if you are using vvti coilpacks and ignitor then you dont need a FFIM and you run less wires exactly like that schematic you posted a while back.
The only ones that don't fit easily are the TT ones.

If you are using your stock head (which is really the easiest) you can either use the base of your distributor for the cam/crank signals (recommended, its already there and its already wired up correctly), or you can use a really old MK3cps which tend to just randomly go bad (looks a bit smaller but has issues), or you can get the sensors welded on by a shop and change out cams and what not im not even sure.

There are so many issues you will have building an na-t from scratch and I really recommend at first you either use the stock ignition system or use the distributor to put out those signals. I have been boosting for like a year on the stock ignition system. hasnt skipped a beat. you should be worrying more about oil lines and headgaskets and injectors.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-07-10 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Head Game Whats The Difference VVTi Head VS. Non VVTi Head