Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Head Game Whats The Difference VVTi Head VS. Non VVTi Head

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 11:09 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
lol man, you have confused the @#$# out of me as to what you are trying to do.

i do know if you are using vvti coilpacks and ignitor then you dont need a FFIM and you run less wires exactly like that schematic you posted a while back.
The only ones that don't fit easily are the TT ones.

If you are using your stock head (which is really the easiest) you can either use the base of your distributor for the cam/crank signals (recommended, its already there and its already wired up correctly), or you can use a really old MK3cps which tend to just randomly go bad (looks a bit smaller but has issues), or you can get the sensors welded on by a shop and change out cams and what not im not even sure.

There are so many issues you will have building an na-t from scratch and I really recommend at first you either use the stock ignition system or use the distributor to put out those signals. I have been boosting for like a year on the stock ignition system. hasnt skipped a beat. you should be worrying more about oil lines and headgaskets and injectors.

LoL Thanks bro i confuse the crap out of myself sometime. I am trying to build my own "GTE" type engine using my GE spare in my shed I am doing the bottom end and COP ignition on that engine while boosting the GE in my car now. I have all the oil lines, gaskets, ARP studs, 550 injectors, tt pump just need the turbo and mani and FIC to finish up. so at some point I will be able to mate the two (turbo set-up in my car with engine build in shed) Atleast that is the plan LoL it prob is going to take me longer than just swaping in a GTE but thats how i want to go with my build
Old 01-07-10, 11:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lol, now i get what you are doing.. that sounds like a headache to me lol.
I would just finish building the spare motor and drop it in before turboing anything.
unless you really want to install and uninstall everything several times and have to possibly do an extra tune.

for the price of machine work if you seriously want the cam sensor you may want to consider buying a complete gte head. added bonus is it looks alot cooler.
Old 01-07-10, 11:53 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 I felt the same way when i first started my NA-T project, I was going distrubitor less,VVTi coils, or LS3 Coils ,Ge Head and Block rebuilt with TT parts, AEM EMS,
Oil pump, WP,TB, TT HG,EGR delete, manual swap,BL na-T kit.
I had everything bolted to the engine ready to drop it in !!! I was damn if this car doesn't start ! I am F$%#.I left the motor alone an went looking GTE the next day lol.
It was too many changes at one time.
I would do it in steps if i have to do it again.
If i ever find another SC3 it will be Na-T and DD.
Old 01-07-10, 12:06 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
lol, now i get what you are doing.. that sounds like a headache to me lol.
I would just finish building the spare motor and drop it in before turboing anything.
unless you really want to install and uninstall everything several times and have to possibly do an extra tune.

for the price of machine work if you seriously want the cam sensor you may want to consider buying a complete gte head. added bonus is it looks alot cooler.
Thanks for you info bro aot of you guys on the forum really help me out. If I can find a GTE head for the low for sure i am going to jump on that since i still need a head for this project so well see how it goes. I hope to have something working out in a few month and i dont mind doing things a few time i have a pretty good knowledg of mechanics so I really want to give a go at doing alot of this stuff my self. Only thing i will need someone else to do would be wiring and tune

Originally Posted by quickGS300
+1 I felt the same way when i first started my NA-T project, I was going distrubitor less,VVTi coils, or LS3 Coils ,Ge Head and Block rebuilt with TT parts, AEM EMS,
Oil pump, WP,TB, TT HG,EGR delete, manual swap,BL na-T kit.
I had everything bolted to the engine ready to drop it in !!! I was damn if this car doesn't start ! I am F$%#.I left the motor alone an went looking GTE the next day lol.
It was too many changes at one time.
I would do it in steps if i have to do it again.
If i ever find another SC3 it will be Na-T and DD.

Damn i would of been pissed off if mine wouldnt start i would actually die LoL. Well see how it goes I am pretty determined not to swap in a GTE rather build my own thanks for the info you guys
Old 01-07-10, 02:55 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It will cost you alot of money if you try install the GTE head on the GE block , you better just buy the whole swap.
I thought about the same when i first started, Then realise it would cost more when you piece it, this crap adds up man lol.
Or you find someone looking for a GTE block you guys can half way you get the harness, ECU, Head, intake ,TB, Ignitor and Map sensor .
He gets the block and oil pan.