Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Head Game Whats The Difference VVTi Head VS. Non VVTi Head

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 09:48 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Head Game Whats The Difference VVTi Head VS. Non VVTi Head

Lets see how this thread goes, if you have no idea what ur talkin about please do not post...... Whats the difference between the vvti head of a GE engine and non vvti head. I am talkin physicaly ? i seen a lot of guys that are NA-T and going with COP (coil over plug)to get rid of the distributior. But i see that some of them use the coil packs and ignitors off the vvti head. Woud it be possible to run the vvti head but with non vvti internals basically making it a non vvti head but still using certin parts to retain the COP. Sounds kinda weird when i read it back to my self but i hope someone understands what i am trying to say ???
Old 10-23-09, 12:00 AM
t66sc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few questions on the same topic, wheres the cam trigger on the vvti heads? i have seen some is300s runing the gte cams so can a vvti motor run aftermarket gte cams? Also read up that the exhaust port if i recall correctly had a different port and flowed better i could be wrong though.
Old 10-23-09, 09:19 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The VVti head has the cam sensor bungs,You can use aftermarket cams in the VVti head because "JefftSai" has then on his GS. You can delete the VVTi sprocket also i think i have seen it on one of "SRT" IS300.
If you are going Distributor less you can use the VVti head on the GE block
Old 10-23-09, 05:39 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by quickGS300
The VVti head has the cam sensor bungs,You can use aftermarket cams in the VVti head because "JefftSai" has then on his GS. You can delete the VVTi sprocket also i think i have seen it on one of "SRT" IS300.
If you are going Distributor less you can use the VVti head on the GE block
ok so ur saying that I CAN or atleats its possible use a VVTi head on a non VVTi set up ?? have any links for info like this ?

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 10-23-09 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-24-09, 06:30 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vvti internals are weaker
Old 10-25-09, 01:40 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1siksc
vvti internals are weaker
dont want to use the VVti internals I just want the VVTi head to use the cam trigger sensors and coil packs for a COP conversion in a NON VVTi set up
Old 10-25-09, 01:46 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't use a vvti head on a non-vvti block.
Old 10-25-09, 09:51 PM
t66sc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not? Wouldnt using a vvti head on a non vvti block just elimanate the function of vvti? I have been reading that is300s often put gte blocks under their vvti heads in favor of the beefed up bottom end rather than building theirs. I could be wrong and am just trying to get this all clear as im also dealing with a vvti setup and want as much info as possiable before i tackle the project.
Old 10-26-09, 06:46 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ElitistK
you can't use a vvti head on a non-vvti block.
Who said so ? if you can't use VVti head on GE or GTE block then you can't use 1JZ head on a 2JZ block , or 2JZGTe Head on a GE block.
Come man people do that all the time on ISs .
Old 10-26-09, 06:52 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Yea I was reading over on SupraForums and IS3 guys are deleteing VVTi by getting rid of the VVTi solenoid and getting specialy machine cams to sit properly in the vvti head cam seat. Trying to research more gonna be looking for a vvti for my build so anyone gots one let me know

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 10-26-09 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-26-09, 09:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

just leave the base of the distributor in and use it as a sensor, or use a 7m-gte CAS. Thats what I'm doing for my COP setup.
If that bothers you also you can get the TT sensors welded on i think.
much easier than Frankensteining 2 heads together.

plus with the vvti head you need different manifolds (if you already have some) and at least the vvti fuel rail. It's really not worth it, all that work and you still have a GE head with the crappy intake manifold. IMO its only really worth swapping to a GTE head.
Old 10-26-09, 09:58 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Yes the Gte Head will be your best bet and that way you don't have to buy the FFIM you could just keep the TT one, BTw the i think it will be cheaper to just buy the GTE swap because the Head heads will cost you about 500/600 some of them W/o the cams No coilpacks and no sensors, And you have to go AEM standalone to go distributor less.
I will just do the swap if i don't like distributor,You have to pull the head send it to the shop, buy the sensors,labor at the machine shop, you to buy the coil packs, TT oil pump.
Old 10-26-09, 11:32 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

I would rather not swap to anything GTE i like the NA head I also like that the water neck is in the intake side rather than the hot side near the turbo. Also after reading much debate (i have read many many threads on the subject) over it I feel that the head of an NA engine will flow better (thats how i feel and i am going to go with it). I have a bear block that i am starting to build so having to buy a new oil pump is already being counted as a future expense. Now i didnt know that the intake manifold is different on a VVti head? which parts are differ lower runners or both lower and upper parts ? Also I want to go with a NA VVti head because it should already have the cam trigger sensor inplace since it is a head that uses COP so I wouldnt have the need to send my head to a machine shop and have one welded in place. I would just need to have some cams possibly GTE oem cams sent out to get machined to match the vvti heads cam seat. That dosent sound like much frankenstineing to me. and I do plan on one day going FFIM but not important now and neither is the AEM stand alone thats already being planed on
Old 10-26-09, 12:42 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
I would rather not swap to anything GTE i like the NA head I also like that the water neck is in the intake side rather than the hot side near the turbo. Also after reading much debate (i have read many many threads on the subject) over it I feel that the head of an NA engine will flow better (thats how i feel and i am going to go with it). I have a bear block that i am starting to build so having to buy a new oil pump is already being counted as a future expense. Now i didnt know that the intake manifold is different on a VVti head? which parts are differ lower runners or both lower and upper parts ? Also I want to go with a NA VVti head because it should already have the cam trigger sensor inplace since it is a head that uses COP so I wouldnt have the need to send my head to a machine shop and have one welded in place. I would just need to have some cams possibly GTE oem cams sent out to get machined to match the vvti heads cam seat. That dosent sound like much frankenstineing to me. and I do plan on one day going FFIM but not important now and neither is the AEM stand alone thats already being planed on
Ok, I see where you're coming from now. I don't know where I read about the intake manifold differences, but I remember the rails don't match. This isn't a big deal though cause if you can get the vvti head, you can get the stock intake manifold with it most likely and the rail (or for cheap). the exhaust manifold is different, not a big deal though, fairly cheap. Basically you will be talking about finding the right set of cams and deleting the vvti function. you may even be able to reuse one of the 2 n/a cams.

it can be done, and if you have the parts to do it go for it, but for someone on a budget there are easier ways. just get a shop to weld in the sensor for you on your current n/a head. I just see the vvti head as more moving parts to break, even if they are disabled.
Old 10-26-09, 01:09 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

I think the only way you will see the difference between the Heads is if you are making some Big HP #s.You probably wouldn't feel the difference at 500Rwhp.
What ECU are you gonna use after you delete the dist?

Quick Reply: Head Game Whats The Difference VVTi Head VS. Non VVTi Head