Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oil leaking from 94 SC300 2JZ-GE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 11:30 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaking from 94 SC300 2JZ-GE

Okay guys, I have a 94 SC300 with the 2JZ-GE and it leaks oil. It doesn't leak oil very fast or too frequently, but it does leak. If I park my car for hours on end, such as overnight, and move my car the next day there is a tiny spot of oil on the ground where the car was parked ALMOST all of the time. The spot of oil is usually the size of a dime or nickel. Not anything major at all; although I am still concerned. I have checked the oil filter and oil plug, making sure the gaskets are okay and tight. The previous owner of my car said that he was going to get it fixed but he never got around to it. He said when he asked someone about it when he got the oil changed one time that they said the oil leak is "coming from the main seal on the motor". Not sure what this means but how can I go about fixing it? Would putting some Seafoam in the crankcase and driving 100-200 miles before changing the oil help stop the leaking by any chance? I've heard that Seafoam works wonders in the crankcase for oil, although I've never ran Seafoam in any of my cars in the crankcases, only in the brake booster lines, so that is why I am asking if it would make a difference if I were to do/try that. Any help? Thanks.
Old 10-23-09, 12:09 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rooticon
Okay guys, I have a 94 SC300 with the 2JZ-GE and it leaks oil. It doesn't leak oil very fast or too frequently, but it does leak. If I park my car for hours on end, such as overnight, and move my car the next day there is a tiny spot of oil on the ground where the car was parked ALMOST all of the time. The spot of oil is usually the size of a dime or nickel. Not anything major at all; although I am still concerned. I have checked the oil filter and oil plug, making sure the gaskets are okay and tight. The previous owner of my car said that he was going to get it fixed but he never got around to it. He said when he asked someone about it when he got the oil changed one time that they said the oil leak is "coming from the main seal on the motor". Not sure what this means but how can I go about fixing it? Would putting some Seafoam in the crankcase and driving 100-200 miles before changing the oil help stop the leaking by any chance? I've heard that Seafoam works wonders in the crankcase for oil, although I've never ran Seafoam in any of my cars in the crankcases, only in the brake booster lines, so that is why I am asking if it would make a difference if I were to do/try that. Any help? Thanks.
There are two main seals in the car, front and rear.

The front main seal and cam seals should be replaced while doing a 90k service (timing belt, waterpump)

I have 200,000k miles and all of my seals in the front have been replaced so nothing leaks from the front.

However, my rear main seal is leaking just like how you said, probably more severe. Is it worth getting replaced? You are going to have to drop the transmission to access it. While you are at it, might as well replace or upgrade the clutch or torque converter.

There's no real way to fix it other than replacing the seal itself. SeaFoam is suppose to clean the engine os that is not going to solve your problem. Don't dump any stop leak crap in it either. Just buy an extra 5 quart jug of oil from Walmart and fill it regularly.
Old 10-23-09, 08:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

seafoam may make it worse, please don't go pouring it in everywhere. you never said how many miles are on your car. sooner or later, every SC starts to leak slowly from the rear main seal. it is quite normal on high mileage motors. to fix the seal they have to drop the transmission which costs alot in labor, the seal itself is very inexpensive. If it starts to leak really badly, as in it makes your oil light come on between oil changes, then consider getting a new seal done. (it sounds like yours is ok still)

If you have a manual transmission, wait until you want to change the clutch out and get the seal redone then.
Old 10-23-09, 12:30 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Okay, but I have an automatic 94 SC300 with 113K miles on it. The guy that owned this car before me said that this is very common with these motors to leak. But is it common for them to leak at 113K?!?!? That just doesn't seem right to me lol.
Old 10-23-09, 12:34 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xknowonex
There are two main seals in the car, front and rear.

The front main seal and cam seals should be replaced while doing a 90k service (timing belt, waterpump)

I have 200,000k miles and all of my seals in the front have been replaced so nothing leaks from the front.

However, my rear main seal is leaking just like how you said, probably more severe. Is it worth getting replaced? You are going to have to drop the transmission to access it. While you are at it, might as well replace or upgrade the clutch or torque converter.

There's no real way to fix it other than replacing the seal itself. SeaFoam is suppose to clean the engine os that is not going to solve your problem. Don't dump any stop leak crap in it either. Just buy an extra 5 quart jug of oil from Walmart and fill it regularly.
Why shouldn't I use the stop leak stuff? I thought about it before but never got around to it. I have however, put a whole bottle of STP Oil Treatment (blue bottle) in last time I changed the oil. I wonder if THOSE kinds of additives such as the STP I used make a difference? Or would you not recommend using oil additives anymore when changing oil?
Old 10-23-09, 06:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Okay, but I have an automatic 94 SC300 with 113K miles on it. The guy that owned this car before me said that this is very common with these motors to leak. But is it common for them to leak at 113K?!?!? That just doesn't seem right to me lol.
mileage isn't everything. In fact, if your car sits unused for extended periods of time, the first parts of your car to start degrading are the rubber seal/hoses/gaskets. it doesn't just have to do with lexus, or toyotas, rear main seals are just one of those things that leak when they are old on any car. your motor is probably fine. It's actually more common on an automatic that it leaks forever cause you dont have to ever drop the tranny until it brakes.

have you tried fully wiping down the transmission or powerwashing it. sometimes you will get risidual oil dripping off it for months. I've even had oil collecting all over the tranny from an oil leak at the front of the engine bay (turbo drain line), cause when you drive the wind blows it straight back and covers the tranny completely.
Old 10-23-09, 09:02 PM
NormanSC93
Driver School Candidate

Hey bro this is what you can check for, see if there is a small collection of oil gathering near the oil drain plug if there is its most likely your Drain plug gasket.
Old 10-24-09, 01:26 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
mileage isn't everything. In fact, if your car sits unused for extended periods of time, the first parts of your car to start degrading are the rubber seal/hoses/gaskets. it doesn't just have to do with lexus, or toyotas, rear main seals are just one of those things that leak when they are old on any car. your motor is probably fine. It's actually more common on an automatic that it leaks forever cause you dont have to ever drop the tranny until it brakes.

have you tried fully wiping down the transmission or powerwashing it. sometimes you will get risidual oil dripping off it for months. I've even had oil collecting all over the tranny from an oil leak at the front of the engine bay (turbo drain line), cause when you drive the wind blows it straight back and covers the tranny completely.
Well, I do have a ton of oil under my car splashed onto the tranny just like you described. I probably won't worry too much about the oil leak unless it gets worse; which it doesn't seem like it has, but it probably will eventually and then that is when I will worry about it big time lol. Just needed to get some info on the leaking in general and I thank you guys for that information. On a side note, you mentioned power washing under the car, which leads me to my next question. Will that dried oil that has splashed everywhere under my car from my oil leak come off if I powerwash it? Should I use any cleaners while doing it? Any suggestions on doing that?

Originally Posted by NormanSC93
Hey bro this is what you can check for, see if there is a small collection of oil gathering near the oil drain plug if there is its most likely your Drain plug gasket.
No I already checked the oil filter gaskets and oil plug gaskets. All are okay.
Old 10-24-09, 01:51 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why shouldn't I use the stop leak stuff? I thought about it before but never got around to it. I have however, put a whole bottle of STP Oil Treatment (blue bottle) in last time I changed the oil. I wonder if THOSE kinds of additives such as the STP I used make a difference? Or would you not recommend using oil additives anymore when changing oil?
That will will just leave deposits in your oil system and/or clog up oil passages. Just fix it the right way if it bothers you that much. The car is 15 years old so its no surprise
Old 06-17-17, 11:36 AM
mike0142
Driver School Candidate

Ok i am new to the lexus community. I have a 94 lexus sc300 that was neglected. I bought it two weeks ago for 500.00 had to change the alternator the people i cought it from said they replaced the timing belt it does have a new water pump on it but when i got home i noticed that it was smoking pretty bad. So i opened the hood and could smell burnt oil i seen oil just sitting on the creases of the water pump so i cleaned it up really good and hit the throttle cable and seen it leaking from behind the tensioner pulley so i took it to a mechanic today he pulled the spark plug wire and when we seen that the top of the spark plug was drowned in oil so i know it needs a new valve cover gasket but where is the main seal located he said its behind the cam pulleys
Old 06-17-17, 12:06 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

You will need to focus on the maintenance items before you start driving this car. The valve covers gaskets, distributor o ring, front cam and crank seals should all be checked/replaced.
The main rear seal is in the back of the engine where the transmission mates up to the engine. Trans will have to be dropped to replace the rear main seal.