Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changed spark plugs, now car barely running...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 10:30 PM
shanesc400
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wooziewest
The car definitely has a smell to it. Not really gas tho, idk what it smells like.

If I had a vacuum leak, wouldn't i be running lean?

Snook:
Thats a very good point, that does make the most sense. How could i tell if its a poor connection though?
yes but if the car running rich chuck ur coil >>> cuz that dosent sound like a vacuum leak ..
Old 10-26-09, 12:15 AM
wooziewest
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok no sleep tonight. I have to get this fixed i have no other transportation. All of the plugs are in correct order. How do i check the coil?
Old 10-26-09, 12:34 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

You have to troubleshoot it correctly without running all over the place. The things you did directly affected it, so only concentrate on the things you did and the areas you were working in.
Old 10-26-09, 04:46 AM
wooziewest
Driver

Ok:

-Checked spark plugs, All are great

-Checked spark plug wires, lowest 10 ohm, highest 22 ohm

-Fixed vacuum leak, idle is now at 1100 (cold outside) instead of 400

PROBLEMS:

-There is still a squeaking noise, I spray some carb cleaner at the tb seal and the idle changed so I think that needs a new gasket

-Still has the sputtering/cam-like sound

Im thinking check the distributor and ign coils now?

How do i go about doing that? I can only find one ignition coil
Old 10-26-09, 08:25 AM
snook
Racer

That sucks that you stayed up and didnt fix it, I went to bed after I last replied or Id have been trying to help.

yeah you def. have a leak at the tb seal you have to get a new gasket and fix that first before looking any further and see what the result is.
Next
I would not be checking any coil or anything besides what you changed, whats the likelihood that your coil broke on its own at the exact same time you were changing the plugs after being fine for 14 years before that?

Did you make sure you have the spark plug wires installed in the right order on the cap and on your plugs? Thats what it sounds like to me.

The very last thing Id do is take one plug out at a time connected to its wire and hold it with gloves and plastic grip pliers grounded to the engine and have someone crank the car so you can verify each plug sparks for sure.

Summary
Once you have the plenum and vacuum lines air tight, then you know its a firing issue. Your idle is high my car idles at 700 with the a/c off. Either the order of the wires is wrong or a bad connection (didnt pop on wire good enough on plugs and cap or a bad wire)
Old 10-26-09, 01:04 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

wooziewest, do u have any pics or diagrams of the vacuum hoses? I am having very high idle after changing my plugs and I believe I may have got some misconnected, and they may also have a leak. I'd appreciate it
Old 10-26-09, 01:41 PM
snook
Racer

isnt there a diagram under your hood?
Old 10-26-09, 04:04 PM
wooziewest
Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
wooziewest, do u have any pics or diagrams of the vacuum hoses? I am having very high idle after changing my plugs and I believe I may have got some misconnected, and they may also have a leak. I'd appreciate it
I cant get a really good picture of my engine. Spray some carb cleaner or other combustible fluid throughout your engine. If the idle changes drastically, then you have found your leak.
Old 10-26-09, 04:09 PM
wooziewest
Driver

Originally Posted by snook

Summary
Once you have the plenum and vacuum lines air tight, then you know its a firing issue. Your idle is high my car idles at 700 with the a/c off. Either the order of the wires is wrong or a bad connection (didnt pop on wire good enough on plugs and cap or a bad wire)
-I pulled all of the plugs and tested them in another car; They work fine.

-This is the third time I have assembled everything, so im pretty sure everthing is in the right order

-The resistance in all the wires seems normal, or is 10-22 ohm too much?

What Im thinking is that when coolant first got into the spark plug valley, it shorted out and possibly destroyed a coil or something.

How do i check the coils and distributor, and anything else that would need to be checked?
Old 10-26-09, 04:55 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you remove your distributor at all? if so then you need to adjust your timing. to test your coil you need a multimeter and read how many ohms you have on your primary side(2 side terminals) and secondary side(middle and either side). let me know if you test it n ill find the specs. be sure to tighten the 4 bolts on the underside of the throttle body.
Old 10-26-09, 05:12 PM
wooziewest
Driver

I have not removed my distributor.

Where are my coil packs? ( please be specific) and where do i measure it from? I know how to use the multimeter for wires but where do the terminals go for the coils?
Old 10-26-09, 06:17 PM
wooziewest
Driver

Ok, i measured the coil pack I could find. Its at 9ohms.

My dad thinks i shorted to distributor when the coolant was in the spark plug valleys. Is this a likely culprit?
Old 10-26-09, 09:41 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had coolent through my plug vallys, there's no stopin it when you take off the tb just clean it as best you can. you mentioned your in college, did you cheap out and buy the cheapest plug wires you find? I have heard of similar driveableity issues with cheap plug wires, never for our car though. try useing your old wires to confirm.
p.s did you gap the plugs right? what brand are they?

Last edited by topdog849; 10-26-09 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-26-09, 09:42 PM
snook
Racer

not really I dont think so since you said the car runs smooth besides idle? but did you get ALL of the coolant out of the spark plug valleys and plug wires and dry the area out? I know my car ran like crap after I washed the engine bay I had to take everything apart, dry the area and replace. Did you also check the gap on those plugs? they come pregapped wrong sometimes, it says in the owners manual the right gap.

Besides the wacky idle you said it doesnt misfire when you drive it right? That's kind of strange dont you think?
Old 10-26-09, 11:11 PM
wooziewest
Driver

-The gap is .44 on the plugs

-All the coolant has been cleaned out

The car has that horrible idle, and when i drive its somewhat smooth, but definitely not right;

The engine sounds a little off and doesnt have as much power as before

Also my car has a smell to it while Im driving. Maby fuel?

---------------------------------------------------------
And I am running the stock plug wires, with autolight plugs which worked fine when i put them in my 3000gt to test them.

Quick Reply: Changed spark plugs, now car barely running...HELP