Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hey MadMaxSC400 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-02, 04:33 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Madmax,

I use a blend for the oil and I change it every 3000 miles. I will try and replace the fuel filter before I go get the car tested again. It is fairly new but since I am doing a tune-up it is recommended that I change it anyway.

What gas do you use? Any brand in particular? We live close so I will go with whatever gas you recommend.

I will also get full synthetic next time I change my oil.

Last I heard you did not have the ram air kit. Has this changed?
Old 05-03-02, 05:00 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I stick with Chevron,or Texaco premium,and never use any Arco gas.
So the Sythetic oil helps with any pinging?
Wonder why/how?
I guess you'd be more likely to get carbon buildup even in the chambers with dirty oil,than with clean oil.
My car used to ping a little,but after regular maintenance(plugs/wires/oil changes/gas),it's stopped.
If I ever have the heads off of this motor the valves are going to get a thorough polishing,maybe even a little undercutting,along with a full port/chamber polish.
I got pulled over in my Lancia once in the rain at around 100,no wipers.
Told the officer how the rain would sheet off of the glass at higher speeds,so I could see again.He handed me my liscense and told me to stay off the freeway until I got those wipers fixed.
Lucky day, that was.
Old 05-03-02, 05:03 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hermosa: check your PM
I think synthetic helps valves move better at high RPM.. less drag on the drivetrain (and less strain on the timing belt).
Old 05-03-02, 11:20 PM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by Hermosa
Now that we are talking speed, what was the fastest speed you guys have been pulled over at. I have gone over 140 in my SC400 but I have only been caught and stopped once over 120MPH. It was in Los Angeles on the freeway in the late evening. I had been doing this thing where I see how fast I can get home from work so each day I went faster and faster until I cut down my commute to 12 minutes including 13 miles of freeway with 3 freeway changes and 4 miles of stop light rich street driving. Okay that IS bad to do and I am glad noone got hurt since this was a daily activity. I don't do that anymore. Back to the ticket, me being a very lawful person(normally) pulled over real fast. Probably freaked out the cop by stopping so quick too. I ended up not losing my license. The trick at that point is not to say anything. You whine and you get fined big. The ticket cost me under $100
so how did the ticket only cost under 100 bucks.

did you just smile and sign???
Old 05-04-02, 01:59 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Well being that I've been pulled over and ticketed at 110 in SoCal too, I know that the court does take your license for anything over 100mph mandatorily. When I went to court, there were about 30 of us there that had tix for speeding in excess of 100mph and every last one of us had to give up the license. The fine for that was $350. Even if you appeal the fine, you have to pay the $350 bail. I appealled my suspension and got my license back about a month later. Regular speeding tickets here are worth something like $180. Even minor moving infractions like failing to yield right of way are $120. So I don't know how you are getting $100 for speeding at 120mph.
Old 05-04-02, 10:19 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Default Top Speeds

Delimited J Spec Soarer TT, 150MPH on speedo going through France on a decent road - Priceless
Old 05-04-02, 01:44 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Lex, tell us your story about being roadblocked, I wanna hear
Old 05-04-02, 09:29 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Happened once on Hempstead Tpke a few years ago, they were trying to get a couple of us, I got away on the service road. The time I was talking about though, was in Stony Brook, a friend was bartending there, he said stop by, me and a friend, Anthony, took a drive out there, we had just finished putting the drivetrain in my GN and wanted to road-test it anyway. When we left, I let him drive, I had a few drinks so we thought it best since he was more sober (so he said). He made a wrong turn out of the bar and ended up down some backroad, and flew past a cop that was checking out an abandoned car. He hit the lights and came out after us, Tony went for it. I looked over and said 'dude, we're over 1.5bar, how long you gonna keep this up for?' Anyway, another cruiser joined the chase about a half mile up and we were on. We had a good lead, we were pretty sure we were out on them, unfortunately they radio'd ahead, they had four more cruisers set up at the next big intersection, parked across the road bumper-to-bumper. Tony turns to me with this wild look in his eyes like he's got some idea, I told him 'dude, it's over'. Gotta admit though, it was pullin' like a motherf#cker. They yanked him outta the car like a ragdoll, breathalized him and cuffed 'em. Guess who had to bail him out the next day? And that was my money for my fuel system too....

P.S. - We were young and drunk and stupid, pls don't follow the example, if ya wanna live dangerous bang chicks bareback or something....
Old 05-06-02, 06:54 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

MadMax-
you didnt get your name from the movie, did you? I just bought the DVD, pretty insane driving.. Cant tell if those cars are Stangs or Camaros or neither.
Old 05-06-02, 06:57 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Those are Ford Falcons for the most part actually, they're counterparts to the US Torino. Many rumors abound about the Black Interceptor, but the hardware is reportedly genuine. I took his name because I drive like he does in the movie sometimes
Old 05-07-02, 08:18 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Phat movie...
Old 11-13-02, 12:46 AM
NathanWesterfield
Driver

Ive taken mmine up to 140 while racing my friends eclipse...he toped out at about 125-130...I eventually got scared and slowed down...My K40 radar thats hidden in the front bumper recently quit working...the next week I got a ticket...62 in a 40...havent even approached 100 since...nor have I spent the money on a new detector
Old 11-13-02, 04:34 AM
dkny_112
Lead Lap

i might as well contribute my bone head story here....

when i first got my 300zx tt i was 16 and I thought i was indestructible. Around 11:00pm one summer night i was coming home from the beach with this girl and this dude in a 93-95 corvette wanted to have a go. So not wanting to look like a pansy we race on the deserted 2 lane street. Needless to say I was pulled over doing 227km/hr in a 60 zone. The cop roughed me up, threw me in the back of the cruiser, and took me into the station. My parents were none too pleased when they had to come and pick me up.

Net result: $460 for excessive speeding. $345 for reckless driving. 9 points on my insurance which ended up being like 2g's really pissed off parents, and a lesson well learned....
Old 11-13-02, 06:37 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by dkny_112
i might as well contribute my bone head story here....

when i first got my 300zx tt i was 16 and I thought i was indestructible. Around 11:00pm one summer night i was coming home from the beach with this girl and this dude in a 93-95 corvette wanted to have a go. So not wanting to look like a pansy we race on the deserted 2 lane street. Needless to say I was pulled over doing 227km/hr in a 60 zone. The cop roughed me up, threw me in the back of the cruiser, and took me into the station. My parents were none too pleased when they had to come and pick me up.

Net result: $460 for excessive speeding. $345 for reckless driving. 9 points on my insurance which ended up being like 2g's really pissed off parents, and a lesson well learned....
Yeah, don't get caught
Seriously though, I don't street race to higher than 80 MPH or so, if I haven't won by then I probably won't and if I'm ahead they probably aren't going to catch up.
Old 11-13-02, 11:32 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

I got bagged on the PA turnpike at 107mph. The cop flipped out on me, he was really pissed. He was all like, "What the hell do you think you're doing? I should take your license here on the spot." In the end it cost me like $350 in fines, lost my license for a little bit, had to have a private hearing with a guy from PennDot, and sky high ins.

Quick Reply: Hey MadMaxSC400 !!!