Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP need asap...(really means Starter Issue)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 02:07 PM
cardwielde
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP need asap...(really means Starter Issue)

i just bought a 92 SC400 with pristine interior and the outside has a few sun faded spots for $750. only thing i was told that was wrong with it was it needed a new starter. so before i bought it i checked it out and it sure enough seemed to be that it needed a new starter. so i bought it, put a brand new starter in and i get the same thing. motor just wont crank or anything. it just doesn't even try to start. i can turn the motor just fine with a socket and ratchet so it isnt seized. i just dont know what could be keeping the motor from even half *** cranking over? the only thing that happens when i try to start it is that the starter clicks and thats it. nothing else happens. i wish i had more info to give but i dont. so any ideas what could be the problem???
Old 11-08-09, 02:12 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try jump starting? Or changing the battery?
Old 11-08-09, 02:28 PM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by SH_JZZ30
Did you try jump starting? Or changing the battery?
yes i tried multiple batteries, that's not the issue.all i get is one click from the starter it self. it an immense pain the *** to change a starter on an sc400 for those that do not know that. hope a and pray ur starter never ever and mean never ever goes out.
Old 11-08-09, 02:47 PM
cardwielde
Driver

well since somebody clearly knows more than i do about this problem since they changed it to say "starter issue" then they can shine some insight on this situation. since the chances of buying a bad new starter from autozone is a definite bet right? because highly doubt that its still a starter problem.
Old 11-08-09, 05:12 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Usually if it "clicks" and you know that the starter and battery is good, maybe the battery terminals needs to be clean or the power cable to the starter is not secured. Not providing enough juice can cause it to click but not engage.

If it clicks, it can't be the fuse. Does the new starter click as well?

Do you know how to bench test a starter?
Old 11-08-09, 05:48 PM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by vangb2
Usually if it "clicks" and you know that the starter and battery is good, maybe the battery terminals needs to be clean or the power cable to the starter is not secured. Not providing enough juice can cause it to click but not engage.

If it clicks, it can't be the fuse. Does the new starter click as well?

Do you know how to bench test a starter?
yeah the new starter clicks as well. and i do not now how to bench check a starter. what does the power cable for the starter look like? when i took out the new one all i saw was what appeared to be some sort of ground and then like a plug in type deal but i connected both of them because it was connected on the old one. i just dont think the odds me getting a new starter thats bad are very high.
Old 11-08-09, 08:19 PM
PapaCap
Driver School Candidate

To bench test a starter, you gotta take the starter off and take it to your favorite auto parts store. They have a machine that can test it.

More than likely, the starter isn't the issue and the person that sold it to you probably knew that, but couldn't figure out the problem. Sounds electrical. This car does have a starter relay and all kinds of fun electrical components you're gonna have to test. If I was you, I'd bridge the power wires in the starter relay and go from there.

PapaCap
Old 11-09-09, 10:23 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Granted, the starter is grounded through the bolts that hold it in place. The big wire is B+ from battery and the small one is use to activate the starter.

Clean your battery towers and terminals. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Buy a new ground strap and ground it to the chassie where it will make good contact.

CAUTION WHEN TESTING. STAY CLEAR FROM MOVING COMPONENTS. I.E....SERPENTINE BELT AREA

Test on car:

1.Unplug the small connector wire.
2.Use a jump wire (10-16g is ok) long enough from the starter connector to B+ side of battery.
3.Figure how to keep the jump wire in the starter where the connector was so it don't fall out. You can usually strip long enough wire and jam it in.
4.Touch the other end of wire to B+ on battery.

Check to see if it turns over.

Remember, check your ground cable to make sure its not corroded. Buy a new ground cable anyway and ground it to the chassie where it will make good contact.

Make sure all these steps were follow before posting again, so we can assist you properly.