Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ running good, sorta...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 04:08 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1JZ running good, sorta...

I got the car running, but I have a couple issues.

1) When i start it, it sounds fine for about 2 seconds, then it starts ideling slightly rough...almost like its on 5 cylinders or something. I think it might have something to do with the wiring. MY car is a 95 5spd and i'm using an auto ECU. So far i extended the wiring perfectly w/solder, did neutral safety switch bypass, clipped black wire on harness to get rid of sputtering, grounded purple wire for temp gauge, and lines up yellow wires for ECU diagnostic to work. One thing that I have is a green wire that it not connected to anything on the motor harness side where one of the Yellow ECU diagnostic wires used to be. Any ideas what that's for?

2) I hear a leak coming from the throttle body area when I turn the key to on posistion without starting it. Sounds like a massive vacuum leak but I cant seem to locate it. What turns on that creates vacuum or pressure without the car running?

All input greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-09, 05:20 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question #1. At normal operating temperature, does the motor seem like its going to shut off? Approximatly at what the rpm is when idle?

If you think that it's running on 5 cylinder, try pulling each injector clip off at a time to check if it makes any differences.

Questions #2, that's not a leak. It's probably your fuel flowing through your fuel rail.
Old 11-18-09, 07:32 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your EcU also , I had the same issues after my 1JZ swap.
I replaced the coils pack clips and regrapped the plugs same crap keep going on , at the end it was the EcU
Old 11-18-09, 10:40 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vangb2
Question #1. At normal operating temperature, does the motor seem like its going to shut off? Approximatly at what the rpm is when idle?

If you think that it's running on 5 cylinder, try pulling each injector clip off at a time to check if it makes any differences.

Questions #2, that's not a leak. It's probably your fuel flowing through your fuel rail.

It acts the same at any temperature. Whether its cold or hot, it still acts like its running super rich and sputters...

I will try disconnecting one by one to see if that changes anything...

Questions #2, that's not a leak. It's probably your fuel flowing through your fuel rail

Your probably right, but its real loud and it makes a real loud hissing sound just like a vacuum leak would....I'll keep looking into that.

Originally Posted by quickGS300
I replaced the coils pack clips and regrapped the plugs same crap keep going on , at the end it was the EcU
I did the same with the coil pack clips...got all new ones from driftmotion. Ill see if I can find someone with a running 1J ecu and swap out and see if there is any difference.

This is the list i made to do today, we'll see if it resolves anything:

- maybe did wiring backwards for speed sensor (coloring was totally different)

-Timing belt may have skipped a tooth

- Check ignitor to see if its broken inside

- Fuel ECU mod

- that huge leak that is coming from the fpr area (or so i think its a leak)

Keep the input coming guys, this is my DD and i need it running!!!
Old 11-18-09, 10:48 AM
vangb2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right. The flawed 1jz ecu is nortorious for leaks on the capacitors.

If your on a dead end and cannot find any other problem, you may want to send it in for check up. A reputable site is driftmotion.com. Talk to Aaron.

Old 11-18-09, 12:14 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Or just open the Ecu you may see some leaks inside , on mine when you hit 80mph it starts to burn i guess the whole cabin smells like exhaust .
It will idle around 750 and for some reason the idle will just drop 100, will stall out when u come to a complete stop.
It will smoke and back fire while you driving it will misfire some days!!!! lol i went thru all that car .

The leak around the FPR i would remove the driver side tire and start the car to see what's where it's coming from and what leaking.
GL

Last edited by 99SC42; 11-18-09 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-18-09, 03:22 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

so i ran the ECU trouble codes and got a code 12

anyone think that might have something to do with it?

I jumped the resister on the tach.....was i not supposed to do that on a 95?

All help greatly appreciated.

and QuickGS...

The noise is coming right around the throttle body when you put the key in the ignition and turn once. When the car is on you obviously cant hear it. So something is being pressurized and I know fuel is 1 thing, but is there something that created vacuum or pressure before you start the car?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-09, 04:19 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

So apparently this code has something to do with RPM signal. Im not sure if its related to the green wire thats disconnected on the white body harness plug that i extended or not. I found a green wire on the ignitor and its green as well. I checked for continuity between the wires and it was a no go....apparently its not the same green wire.

maybe it has somthing to do with the resistor i bypassed to get the tach to work?
Old 11-18-09, 06:42 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

So there's also a black wire with an orange stripe that was located on the white soarer body plug. But when it connected to the SC female body plug, there is no wire in that corresponding spot. i traced that wire back to a grey plug next to the ignitor. Looks like some sort of relay or soemthing.

Any ideas as to where to route this orange and blk wire?

I need this car done tonight as I have no mode of transportation for tommorow!!
Old 11-18-09, 07:29 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

I jumped the resistor on mine 92 and on my 95 SC and they both work fine.
You make sure you didn't forget to cap the vaccum tubes coming from the intake manifold.
Can you start the car and spray some carb cleaner around that area.
You are not leaking fuel by the FPR ? the fuel line that goes to the FPR has to be really tight or it will leak that happen to me before..

Tell me the wire and their location i can go out to my car and check it for you .... hurry
That the noise filter make sure it's connected, Please make sure that's pluged up.
Old 11-18-09, 07:47 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

I jumped the resistor on mine 92 and on my 95 SC and they both work fine.
You make sure you didn't forget to cap the vaccum tubes coming from the intake manifold.
Can you start the car and spray some carb cleaner around that area.
You are not leaking fuel by the FPR ? the fuel line that goes to the FPR has to be really tight or it will leak that happen to me before..

Tell me the wire and their location i can go out to my car and check it for you .... hurry
That the noise filter make sure it's connected, Please make sure that's pluged up.
The wire in question is a black with orange stripe. ITs located on the white body plug connector all the way on the bottom left hand corner. On the other side that its mating to is no wire.

THANKS!!
Old 11-18-09, 07:53 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Let me go check ......
Old 11-18-09, 08:12 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

ok the black with orange goes to the ecu on mine .
It's on the grey connector that plugs to the ECU it's right on top of the blck and yellow and the black and yellow is right on top of the black and red.
The black with orange goes to the noise filter by the ignitor
Old 11-18-09, 08:50 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

hrmm....I have a black and orange on the white connector....same connector as the one you have to cut the blk wire and ground the temp gauge.

I do see above some larger blk with orange wires. Im not referring to those... im referring to the smaller one on the white plug.
Old 11-19-09, 07:13 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

So last night I tried everything and I still couldn't get it to run right. I'm pretty sure its a wiring issue. So i have a really big favor to ask of you guys, but it will be great for me and all the 95+ guys. Would one of you guys be able to get the pinouts for the orange and white connector on the body plugs? This means give the color of the wire on the engine harness side, and the corresponding sc side. If someone could do this for the orange and white connector, I think it would help out everyone greatly. I realize its a lot to ask but I'm really tired of it Not working.

Really appreciate it guys!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 1JZ running good, sorta...