Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

300-350 hp with 1uz

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 09:45 PM
Wangan_sc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 300-350 hp with 1uz

I'm trying to build my 92 sc400, my goal is to be shooting for 300-350 whp. I know its not that much, but for a daily its enough. I got another car anyway to go bigger. Anyway when getting my sc I researched mostly the 2jz, and 1jz engines. So now i'm asking what would be the best rout to go? I defiantly know a bigger exhaust would help,intake ( really?). I defiantly don't want a power adder for this build.
Old 11-22-09, 10:00 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

then you need to look into turbo fabrication for the 1UZ. They are probably the cheapest...don't even think a supercharger can give you those kinds of gains. Intake and exhaust are purely acoustical mods...they don't add much or any at all.

or you can engine swap...but a boosted V8 always gets you the ladies

Last edited by Kaydee; 11-22-09 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-22-09, 10:04 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ yup! go Turbo, upgrade fuel system, maybe some internals
Old 11-22-09, 10:47 PM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wangan_sc
I defiantly don't want a power adder for this build.
just thought it was funny you said you don't want a power adder, but you want more power out of your motor lol

on a more helpful side, you can swap in the vvt-i 1uz, factory rated at 290hp 300tq
Old 11-22-09, 11:11 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRN MNSTR

vvt-i 1uz, factory rated at 290hp 300tq
+ built & high comp??? That wouldn't yield 300-350?? Maybe he didn't specify vvti, though the car doesn't come w/ that option for the year.

Could be a motor on a stand for all we know.
Old 11-23-09, 10:10 AM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

^^^Your post is confusing. You're right about the 92 not coming with the VVT-i...hence why I said he could swap one in. As far as building it and high compression, you basically have to redo the internals because the stock vvt-i ones are weaker than the stock ones. As far as building the vvt-i and high compression yielding 300-350, probably not to the ground, and it would depend on the compression ratio of the pistons you wanted to use, which would probably have to be custom made. If anything, add a 100 shot of nitrous and problem solved.
Old 11-23-09, 09:59 PM
Wangan_sc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't want to go with a turbo/ or supercharged motor because of reliability. Now I am defiantly going to be getting flamed for this.. but I got a 240 Im building,plus a cressida in parts I would like to mess around with... so I defiantly do not need another huge project. So maybe I should change my goal. How can I get the most horsepower out of my engine with out turbocharging or supercharging. I might consider nitrous. I just would like to get an idea as I do need help. You guys are way more knowledgeable then I am.

Oh I also don't have VVT-I, Im still running the original 1uz that was planted in 92.
Old 11-23-09, 10:11 PM
sc1jz
Driver

Sorry bro but u are not making any since! u say u dont want to turbo or supercharger because of reliability? its perfectly reliable with the right build and tune, but what confuses me is that u would consider nos making your motor 10 times less reliable than turbo or supercharger!
Old 11-23-09, 11:55 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he wants to know what type of all motor build he can do with the 1uz.

What are you doing with your 240, you're talking old school Z car right?
Old 11-24-09, 02:19 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

You want decent power but don't want to go forced induction. Okay, so rebuild the motor, but you also don't want to deal with a project. If you want to accomplish something without going through the process, then give up or just shoot a 100 shot of nitrous to satisfy your ego.
Old 11-24-09, 02:23 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
You want decent power but don't want to go forced induction. Okay, so rebuild the motor, but you also don't want to deal with a project. If you want to accomplish something without going through the process, then give up or just shoot a 100 shot of nitrous to satisfy your ego.
Agreed
Old 11-24-09, 08:31 PM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

If you don't want turbo or supercharger...with the 1UZ got with ITB's FTW!!!
Old 11-25-09, 01:47 PM
GhostSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRN MNSTR
If you don't want turbo or supercharger...with the 1UZ got with ITB's FTW!!!
Please pardon my ignorance, as I am a noob to the SC world but not to cars! I have read ALOT of these pages trying to learn as much as I can about my ole" beat up girl, but I have not one clue as to what ITB's are! Can you help me with this?

**This is not a HiJack attempt**
Old 11-25-09, 02:25 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

Originally Posted by Wangan_sc
I didn't want to go with a turbo/ or supercharged motor because of reliability. How can I get the most horsepower out of my engine with out turbocharging or supercharging. I might consider nitrous.
Check the following link for tuning your V8

http://www.alastair-mcpherson.com/ul...ning_guide.htm

Cheers
Old 11-26-09, 01:38 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, a couple of thoughts for you. To get to 300-350 WHP, and to not add FI, you will have a most difficult time to accomplish, unless you either add NOS (as others have already stated), or you completely rebuild the motor, and use high compression (expensive, and another build which you stated you do not want). You are talking about somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 HP at the crank, depending upon drivetrain loss to get to your WHP goal. The 92 SC400 was rated at 250 HP at the crank, and was probably over rated due to the exceptionally poor design of the stock exhaust manifolds. This has been discussed in great detail on some other threads. As the model was improved, its HP rating went up, due to a few minor cam and exhaust changes, until they added the VVTI, which got better flowing heads as well.

I have dynoed my 93 SC400 as well as seen the dynos of other "stock" early model SC400's, and the WHP has always been somewhere in the vicinity of a mere 175 WHP, give or take a few, depending upon the condition of each person's engine and probably the ambient temps.

I had a perfectly running 93 with only a custom BFI that I made and added to the car. I got 189 WHP, which is one of the higher numbers I have seen on a "stock" early model SC400.

ScottURNOT had a 97, which is still pre-vvti. I believe it has the same heads as the earlier model UZ, but a slightly different factory cam profile. Scott added headers, a custom dual exhaust, and a cold air intake. He got 239 WHP. That is significantly more WHP than the stock cars are getting.

The exhausts really helped. Still, no where near your WHP goals. A Supercharger should get you there, on stock internals if you also redo the exhaust. It would be your cheapest and easiest way to go but will still cost you approximately $5k.

So, NOS and exhaust is the cheapest and easiest way to go. It is hard on your motor and transmission. Search for threads started by Jibby. He put NOS on his SC, and he easily reached your goals. He also highly stressed that motor and transmission over time.

Good luck with what ever you decide to try.

Ryan

Quick Reply: 300-350 hp with 1uz