Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone ever installed headers on a vvti sc400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-09, 04:57 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
...As far as I know, the headers made for the UZ will fit the heads, but will require exhaust modification unless they are made for the SC400 vvti specifically. So, you may have to address the mating of the headers to the cats, and the rest of your exhaust, unless you are changing that as well.

BTW, pulling the stock headers off is a PITA. Like mentioned, you will probably want to loosen you motor mounts so you can jack up the motor a little to gain a bit more room. First make sure you address fitment to the rest of the stock exhaust system.....

Good luck.

Ryan
Hey Ryan, man I swear I almost want to just extend the headers a tad bit because I heard it'll be about 2 inches shorter to connect onto the exhaust pipes. But boy I tell you I hear nothing but difficulties installing headers onto the sc400. I'm thinking about just having the performance shop that Lexant mentioned about to do the install. I would love to do it myself though. We will see when the headers come in.
Old 11-26-09, 08:14 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scfou
Hey Ryan, man I swear I almost want to just extend the headers a tad bit because I heard it'll be about 2 inches shorter to connect onto the exhaust pipes. But boy I tell you I hear nothing but difficulties installing headers onto the sc400. I'm thinking about just having the performance shop that Lexant mentioned about to do the install. I would love to do it myself though. We will see when the headers come in.
scfou, since I have not installed those headers or any headers on a stock SC400, I do not know the potential pitfalls. I do know that if you need to cut and weld, make sure you have the experience and tools to do so, or just pay the shop to do it. It will save you massive aggravation and time.

Ryan
Old 11-26-09, 09:28 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was no need to cut or weld for the headers to work with the stock exhaust. However, the left side bank didn't line up to the exhaust like the passenger side did. It was off by about an inch. The passenger side bolted right up to the stock exhaust.
Old 11-27-09, 06:58 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I just ordered a set of the IMF ones from the group buy. I have a '99 SC400 with VVTI. Can't wait to get them on. Definitely bringing it to a shop. I may dyno it after there on. Wonder what i'll be pushing with the headers and a custom catback w/ 5zigen fireball mega's.
Old 11-27-09, 07:36 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexAnt
There was no need to cut or weld for the headers to work with the stock exhaust. However, the left side bank didn't line up to the exhaust like the passenger side did. It was off by about an inch. The passenger side bolted right up to the stock exhaust.
Really? I know for a fact that 92-94 fits perfectly without modifications. Hey Ant, yours is a 95 right? Also, what did the performance shop that you went to, charge you?
Old 11-28-09, 06:07 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scfou
Really? I know for a fact that 92-94 fits perfectly without modifications. Hey Ant, yours is a 95 right? Also, what did the performance shop that you went to, charge you?
Yea, mine's a 95.

The performance shop is Limitless Motorsports in San Bruno. Their number is 650-589-5495.
Old 11-28-09, 09:00 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Default Headers are in!!!

UNBELIEVABLE! My heart skipped a beat when I opened up the box. They look great!! The welds look good to me. It comes with all the gaskets and even the bolts too which are currently screwed onto the o2 holes. IMF, so far so good. I ordered these just a few days ago and didn't expect them to arrive in November, Lol. I was expecting mid December or something like that. But in any case, thanks so much IMF and I hope you keep producing more quality good for our sc's. Also, if I can't find a garage to do the install myself, I will take it to a performance shop and most likely the one Lexant is referring to. I do apologize if I can't show all the 400 drivers step by step instructions to installing these bad boys.