Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

car jerks while accelerating or decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 05:22 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car jerks while accelerating or decelerating

I have a 93 sc400 and when I accelerate or decelerate the car jerks at random times. can you guys tell me what could cause this problem? tranny? a/f ration? ignition? by jerk I mean say if im going 40 mph with my foot still on the gas, the car would suddenly feel like it slows down, then back to it's normal speed and slow down, and so on. then go back to it's normal speed. happens randomly though.

btw yes i do have a cel. don't really want to spend money to get a cel reading.
Old 11-27-09, 10:38 AM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get CEL readings for free at AutoZone I think...

However, apart from that, if you're not willing to spend money on a CEL reading, you're probably not going to find a free solution to your problem, anyway...
Old 11-27-09, 11:53 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I know for a fact Discount Auto Parts (Advanced Auto Parts) lets folks use their OBD2 readers. However, your car is a 93, so that doesn't apply here. Best course of action is searching more here for similar issues, or taking it to a shop. You don't have many options. GL either way.
Old 11-27-09, 02:10 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

so is my car obd1? I guess I have to find a mom and pops store to get a cel read?
Old 11-27-09, 04:13 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easy man. You can figure out what code you are throwing yourself. Get a paper clip. Pop your hood and locate the diagnostic box. Make sure the car is turned to ACC not fully started. Unfold the paper clip and with each end put one in the TE1 port and the other end in the E1 port. Your CEL will start flashing. Count the number of times it flashes, that is the first number. Then there will be a three second pause I believe and then count how many times it flashes then. That is your code you are throwing. So for example, blink.. blink.. blink........pause....blink....blink, would be 32. Then look the code up here http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/ and you are set my man.
Old 11-27-09, 11:16 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by laxdude362
It's easy man. You can figure out what code you are throwing yourself. Get a paper clip. Pop your hood and locate the diagnostic box. Make sure the car is turned to ACC not fully started. Unfold the paper clip and with each end put one in the TE1 port and the other end in the E1 port. Your CEL will start flashing. Count the number of times it flashes, that is the first number. Then there will be a three second pause I believe and then count how many times it flashes then. That is your code you are throwing. So for example, blink.. blink.. blink........pause....blink....blink, would be 32. Then look the code up here http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/ and you are set my man.
oo thanks man. didn't know that. really appreciate it.
Old 11-28-09, 12:13 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by laxdude362
okay so i did what you said but check engine light didn't go on at all?? so i put it on "on" just to see what would happen and the o/d off light was blink continuously pretty fast. is that normal?
Old 11-28-09, 08:12 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^The o/d off light will blink transmission codes...a continuous flash should be part of the transmission code list.
Old 11-29-09, 02:00 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gspec
^The o/d off light will blink transmission codes...a continuous flash should be part of the transmission code list.
where can I find the transmission codes? you sure because it seems like that light doesn't stop. lol