Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help my car doesnt pass smog !?!?!??!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 07:06 PM
Lanceezy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my car doesnt pass smog !?!?!??!

Hey i have a 1997 Sc300. my car was an automatic has been converted to a manual. i took it to a shop to smog it and everything pass except for 1 thing. it showed that there was a check engine light when there isnt. but on there computer it shows that the code was throwing a shift sensor or something like that ... i was wondering is it because of the automatic ecu if i changed the ecu to a manual ecu would it pass ? what do you think thanks,
Old 12-08-09, 12:18 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn... This is something I am worried about as well which is why I have not 100% decided if I should go with a manual swap. Although it really isn't a problem, it sucks that smog techs will not pass the car if they see a check engine light or in your case, no light but it showed on their computer....

Well, maybe its just as easy as to replace the ECU but do more research. You'll probably have to put an ECU off a 1997 SC as well. I've read that there are only a few manual SC made in 1997.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-09, 04:29 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

there are only 120 ECUs made in 97 and sourcing one is going to be difficult. For the check engine light not coming on, the light may not be on but that still doesn't mean something is wrong. It stores trouble codes in the ECU then turns on the light when it encounters the same issue during several drive cycles. You might be out of luck on this...
Old 12-08-09, 05:04 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

and that's why California sucks when it comes to mods. They'll fail you for something transmission related, not even smog related.

Try going to a different place and telling them your situation. I bet the car will pass the actual emissions test better then before.
Old 12-08-09, 06:29 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lanceezy
Hey i have a 1997 Sc300. my car was an automatic has been converted to a manual. i took it to a shop to smog it and everything pass except for 1 thing. it showed that there was a check engine light when there isnt. but on there computer it shows that the code was throwing a shift sensor or something like that ... i was wondering is it because of the automatic ecu if i changed the ecu to a manual ecu would it pass ? what do you think thanks,
Yeah but good luck finding a sc300 manual ecu as those are pretty rare. I'm looking into doing a manual swap on my sc400 98vvti, and this is concerning me. I don't even think there's a manual ecu for any 98 and up sc300/400 but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-08-09, 06:31 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc-driver
and that's why California sucks when it comes to mods. They'll fail you for something transmission related, not even smog related.

Try going to a different place and telling them your situation. I bet the car will pass the actual emissions test better then before.
I'm sure by swapping out the auto to manual does not affect emisions right? If the smog tech was cool, wouldn't he be able to by pass this? We are not causing harm to the air?
Old 12-08-09, 07:46 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scfou
Yeah but good luck finding a sc300 manual ecu as those are pretty rare. I'm looking into doing a manual swap on my sc400 98vvti, and this is concerning me. I don't even think there's a manual ecu for any 98 and up sc300/400 but correct me if I'm wrong.
Even if you could find a manual ECU off sc300, I doubt you can use it with the sc400. Its two diff engine and pretty sure the programming is different unless you find a way or someone to flash it.
Old 12-08-09, 08:15 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scfou
I'm sure by swapping out the auto to manual does not affect emisions right? If the smog tech was cool, wouldn't he be able to by pass this? We are not causing harm to the air?
Absolutely not. If that was the only mod you did, there would be almost no effect on emissions. Actually, your emissions output might be better because your engine works a little less with that additional gear.

Like I said, try to find a place that can understand your situation and be cool about it and let you actually smog it. The check engine light for a shift sensor has absolutely no effect on the emissions.

Good luck
Old 12-09-09, 01:29 AM
Lanceezy
Driver

bump !!! well goodluck on me finding a manual ecu. and the thing that would suck is that what if i found a manual ecu and it wasnt the problem that would really suck !
Old 12-09-09, 08:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you probably don't need a whole new ecu, and you're not the first person to do that swap.
what you should do is write down the actual code so we can actually help you.

once you find the exact code you are getting you can search for it and you will probably find your answer, or someone will actually be able to tell you how to get rid of it. throwing a code for a sensor is usually a minor thing. you probably just need to jumper a terminal or add a resistor somewhere.