Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Calling all auto to 5spd guys! Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 05:59 PM
mikeydelro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I wouldn't worry about it so much, you need to find out the exact code, find the exact sensor thats throwing the code, and bypass it. its not rocket science. you think every turbo owner on here still has egr connected properly? i seriously doubt it. it takes about 5 minutes to bypass the sensor if you know how it works and your ecu will think its functioning 100% properly.

** after some reading on turbo819's thread where he pulled the actual codes, it appears its looking for the shift solenoids. I am not sure what dr tweaks simulator is but If I had to attempt to get rid of that code I would try a resistor that is safely inbetween those 2 values when energized. I would probably get a potentiometer which spans a good portion of that range and test different resistance values until the ecu stops throwing codes. then measure the resistance that works, and buy that specific value resistor (in high wattage) and give that a shot. just a guess though.
or you can always hit up the Dr.

the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and
its not rocket science... but it sure aint a "5 min" job... unless someone already figured out what information the sensor is sending and the steps to bypass it. some sensors are as simple as resistors but even then there's millions of possibilities. your have to hookup a multimeter to this sensor while its doing its job (driving around) and test to see what type of info its sending. could be ohms, voltage or even a sequence of signals. doesn't sound too simple for the average diy'er now does it. and this guy says "simple", not tryin to be a d*ck but pasting a working link seems pretty simple doesn't it? it sure aint "rocket science".
Old 12-14-09, 06:02 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info mikeydelro..... Yeah figuring out how to trick the code is the way to go. How? I don't know. I have not mess much with the electrical. Hope someone more knowledgable on this takes the time to. What's in it for him? hhmmm Maybe we can put in some donation for his time? Just thinking out loud....

Anyway, I just missed driving 5speed among a few other reasons. It would be an upgrade on my part i suppose
Old 12-14-09, 06:09 PM
mikeydelro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by masagsxr
Great info mikeydelro..... Yeah figuring out how to trick the code is the way to go. How? I don't know. I have not mess much with the electrical. Hope someone more knowledgable on this takes the time to. What's in it for him? hhmmm Maybe we can put in some donation for his time? Just thinking out loud....

Anyway, I just missed driving 5speed among a few other reasons. It would be an upgrade on my part i suppose
or maybe he can devise a modded/bypassed sensor or plug in and sell if for a reasonable price... turn your time/effort into a little cash and less headache for others.
Old 12-14-09, 07:14 PM
scfou
Pole Position

I'm just surprised no one has done this before on a 400 vvti. But in any case, I do appreciate all the helpful responses and I will take everyone's suggestions into serious consideration.
Old 12-15-09, 12:15 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikeydelro
Anyways, lets get back to the subject. So I'll ask about the state ref to see how that works or you can probably look it up... brb. well that only took a half of a second. I love the internet.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...e_centers.html
Mik, thanks for the link, very helpful! This line says it all: Once these vehicles are inspected and certified by a Referee Center, a BAR label will be affixed to the vehicle. Any licensed Smog Check station may perform subsequent inspections as long as the BAR label remains in place and the vehicle's *emissions equipment remains the same*.

In my case emissions should remain the same because a 5spd swap does not affect emmisions. But the only problem is the cel should come on after the swap being it's obd2.
Old 12-15-09, 01:37 PM
mikeydelro
Driver School Candidate

that would be a problem if it was the CEL light. You would have to perodically check if any other codes were being thrown if that light stayed on all the time. On my 92 the overdrive light started flashing when a tranny code was being thrown. I could be wrong but you gotta look into it for your year... a Simple test would be to disconnect the sensor that supposedly throws the code (dont take it out, just unplug the connector). if your check engine light comes on then you gotta find a way to bypass the sensor. if its just the o/d light then your good. just take the bulb out since you'd be manual anyways.