Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 Starter randomly engaging while running..........

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 06:07 PM
spooledx2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 Starter randomly engaging while running..........

Gents,

I am have a serious problem with my SC, I did a search and couldn't find anything quite like this.....

Here goes. So when I purchased my SC the starter was bad in it so it would not start. So when I bought it I did the DIY starter replacement with the help of some great posts I found on CL. After I replaced the starter everything worked fine, until one day I was driving it down the road and the starter engages and won't shut off until I turn off the key. When i went to restart it , it fired up and ran great. I thought it was a freak thing so I drove it as my DD and every once in a great while it would do the same thing. I let my buddy borrow the car for a couple months while he was working on his and he called me one day saying the car wouldn't turn over, so I went over and looked at it and figured the ignition switch must be bad, because when you would turn it to the start position the starter would engage but it wouldn't disengage until I turned the key to the off position. So I ordered a new switch and installed it and everything was fine. Until he calls me a week or two later and says the starter engaged while he was driving it and he shut it off and the car wouldn't crank over anymore.... By then his car was up and running so I parked the SC for the last six months....

This past weekend I decided to do another DIY on the starter and yanked the old one out and reinstalled the new one.....(much, much easier the second time BTW. After installing the starter I hit the ignition switch, the starter cranked over and once again would not quit cranking until I turned the key off..... So I thought ok new starter newish switch WTF is going on????

I had a S2000 push button switch so I decided to take the ignition switch out of the loop and wire it in. So after I got the switch installed... What a PITA(upcoming DIY for those who are interested). I fired up the car and and it ran great. So I let it idle for 20 mins or so while I cleaned up the shop..... Just when I thought all was safe.....GRINNNNNND the STUPID F@^KING starter engaged again just for a brief second this time and then went off and the car continued to idle.

So as I walked over to where I keep the dirtbikes and a big can of gas, my buddy Robert stopped me and wouldn't let me burn it to the ground.... (thanks Robert)

There is my issue and I am turning to the guys with the know how and who have saved me many times before..... Does anyone have any ideas????? I am lost, I love my car but I am thinking I may have to cleanse out the demon that lives in it with fire.

Thanks in advance gents

Ramon
Old 12-16-09, 09:31 AM
spooledx2
Driver

Bump:

Any ideas gents? Does anyone know which way the wires are routed when they come out of the starter and head back towards the fire wall? Is there anything that the could be arcing out on?
Old 12-16-09, 12:23 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would run a new starter signal wire from the switch to the starter just to be safe.....

A short could end up arcing and catching something on fire, not to mention the starter engaging like that could trash your flywheel, then the trannys got to come out to replace it...could get expensive quick.
Old 12-16-09, 06:00 PM
spooledx2
Driver

Thanks for the reply. I wanted that to be the last resort ...... but at this point that is my next step. I looked at the flywheel whe I was in there and it looks ok, but that could change very quickly.

Thanks again for response. Here I go again to the black depths of starter hell
Old 12-16-09, 06:05 PM
spooledx2
Driver

Maybe instead it's time to yard the old mill out and drop in another one from Japan. It does have over 200k on it and I am getting sick of doing this. While I am at it a manual swap and headers ect.....

Does anyone know if those wires are more accesable from underneath if I drop the tranny down in the back? Before I resort to the motor replacement that is.