Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question on the vacuum lines around the ps pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 02:18 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on the vacuum lines around the ps pump

I replaced the alternator and power steering pump on my SC400, just waiting on the crush washer for the pump to get in at the dealership and I thought I'd ask this while I was waiting. There are 2 groups of 2 vacuum lines right there by the pump. There are 2 really small ones, then 2 kinda small ones with clamps on them. I think the 2 really small ones slip onto the valve on the high pressure line for the power steering pump, but not quite certain where the others go. I want to make sure I get these installed correctly so I don't have any problems to **** me off when I FINALLY get this thing back together.

If anyone could share the info, or the correct orientation for them to make sure the right line goes on the right spot, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 12-17-09, 10:56 AM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Anyone wanna take a stab at it, or go look on their 400 and see where the lines go so I can get it hooked back up right?
Old 12-17-09, 11:53 AM
Neucorp
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I've changed mine on my 400 3 times and I can't figure out what you're asking. There are 2 vacuum lines and 2 p/s fluid lines that you're dealing with. The 2 vacuum lines hook into the air control valve at the end of the pressure feed tube. O.L.T. has blocked this off (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ht=dare+figure).

The other p/s fluid line is the short tube between the reservoir and the suction port union on the pump. Can you take a picture of what you're asking about?
Old 12-20-09, 12:16 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Alright, finally been nice enough to get outside and put some more parts on the car, and here are pics of the 2 sets of lines I'm talking about that I'm not sure where they go, or the orientation.

In the first pic is the sensor thingamajig right next to the power steering pump with an electrical connector plugged in. The other part the lines go to is the ACV that's attached to the high pressure power steering line itself, on the banjo bolt. The red and yellow circles are the 2 sets of hoses themselves and where they terminate. If someone could look on their SC400 and tell me where these lines hook to I'd really appreciate it. Othen than putting the belt back on and putting more coolant and ATF in the pump and fan, it's the last little bit I need to get my car back on the road.

Old 12-20-09, 02:24 PM
Neucorp
Driver

My SC doesn't have the sensor in the first picture. I would assume the red lines go there. I know that the yellow lines go into the ACV. It was tough for me to see without removing anything in mine, but the left line (connects to the nipple on the intake tube) goes on the left side of the ACV (while looking at the car). The right line (connects to the top of the head) will be on the right side of the ACV.

I hope you're not adding coolant to anything but the radiator. ATF Dexron II is all you need. Read through this tutorial for flushing: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html

You'll want to make sure you get all the air out of the lines. Can I also recommend changing out your pulley's and tensioners...rust looks nasty. Good luck.
Old 12-20-09, 04:06 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

When the belt's on, you won't see the surface rust, besides it helped me guide the belt back on the pulleys and align it

I'm going to cap the lines like some guys have. I've seen where guys have capped those ACV lines and have no problems, so I'll do that, those things are just tooooooo much of a pain to get to. And I'm adding coolant to only the radiator, where coolant belongs, this isn't my first rodeo.
Old 12-21-09, 08:24 AM
Neucorp
Driver

Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending. Just worried me with talks of coolant. Good luck.
Old 12-21-09, 01:12 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Hey, got the car buttoned back up and topped off the fluids and started the car. The ps pump didn't sound very happy so I'm going to wait till someone gets home so they can help me out with bleeding the resovoir and getting the new fluid going so the pump won't sound so mad.
Old 12-22-09, 08:02 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

You have to bleed it by the procedure Toyota recommends. Fill the reservoir up, turn the wheel to the left all the way, then back to the right all the way. Do this 5 times, center the steering wheel, and turn the car off. Open the PS pump fluid cap and you'll see bubbles coming up. Once the PS fluid is bubble free, start the car, top it off, cap it, bleed it with the above procedure again.

It'll take a couple times since there was a lot of air in the system. If you have a faulty valve on the pump or the lines are backwards you'll have a TON of bubbling and air in the system like the picture in my thread.
Old 07-10-10, 05:13 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question - is the top (thicker less bumpy one in the bottom right of matt's first photograph) return hose that's about 10 inches long going from the power steering pump to the fluid reservoir a regularly available hose.. what I mean is - I need to replace mine because it burst and I cant find like ANY info on that hose. Is is a high pressure type (I don't think it is but what do I know), can I buy this from Napa and just cut off a section and go about my day:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...50039+2039030#

Or is this another $400 retard part you can only get special order.

Guys, any input on this appreciated!