Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

South Florida SC X-Mas Gift!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 04:02 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

updates man? It's October and the weather is cooling off!
Old 10-10-11, 04:11 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

alittle birdie told me todays the day the black night enters the relm of ft lauderdale .. touchdown landing tba and confirmation sighting within this hemisphere
Old 10-21-11, 06:09 PM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, some of you who I spoke to yesterday already know what I'm about to post but for the others that don't; well here is the latest update on my car.

Guys, First I just have to apologize in advance for this long vent that I'm about to post!

First, I want to thank my good friend Rudy for quoting this line about two years ago, he said
" Yo, your car has been on the road for four years and never had any issues, now you're going to make all these changes, just supposed your car doesn't run the same or consistently as before?"

F@ck you Rudy!

Anyway, about two weeks ago, Darin did some tuning on the car and when he got to about
26 psi at around 77X rwhp the fuel pressure was dropping so to remedy the situation, he suggested that I add a fuel surge tank to the fuel system to keep a consistent flow of pressure to the lines/rail and to prevent the tank from cavitating. At this point, I was running two Deatchwerks pumps intank, ID 2000's, and E-85 just to bring you guys up to speed. So we add the Surge tank, and two Bosch inline pumps to the system.

So fast forward to yesterday. We schedule another dyno session with Darin and I take the day off from work, rent a one way rental to leave in Orlando, pick up the car and drive it back home, etc.

So, I arrive around 11:30am and the car is parked there just looking beautiful as ever, a full detail done on the car, and then when the hood was popped and I saw the masterpiece engine bay that I designed. All the issues, heartaches, and time that I have endured with the build was forgotten when I saw the Engine bay all cleaned up there. I was so excited to see the car and to finally see it complete that I could of cared less about how long the build took.

So, we get into the car and hit the highway to film the first segment of the video shoot. When I left the shop, I noticed a hesitation/bog/stall, not really responding at low RPM's up to around 2000 RPM's but after I took off the car drove fine. We hit the highway and filmed some fly bys'(not sure if bys is a word) but you get the hang! So, as we did the pulls on the highway, the car felt fine. When we got back to the shop, I asked my boy Sean about the hesitation at low rpm's and he noticed it too but because we had changed up the fuel system by adding the surge tank that he felt that it just needed to be tweaked so when Darin did his thing on the dyno he would make the necessary adjustments.

So, Darin arrives and we get onto the dyno! The day that I've been waiting for 17 months. So he does the first pull and the pressure is solid so I'm like yes, we're good! So he did some more pulls and the car sounds like a freight train, clean pulls, just beautiful to say the least.

Well, as the guys know about my build, my goal was to be in the low 800's range as my shortblock is still stock!

Well, here are the numbers, car made :

848.28rwhp on 30.XX psi, 820.77rwhp on 28.XX psi, 751.62rwhp on 25.XX psi

I was stoked as hell after we got the numbers and felt a sense of satisfaction for all the wait. So, I thought to myself, man it's finally done, it's finally done! So the car performed strong on the dyno. Darin stated that he wishes that I would have built the block becasue the car wants to make power up top, but because everything is stock, he stopped the pulls at 8K rpm's. In his opinion, if the block was built it would have made around the 950rwhp mark at around 37-38 psi.

Anyway, on to do some street tuning with Darin. So we leave the shop to go do some street tuning and as soon as I leave the parking lot it bogs again, so we continue and as we hit the highway, he's telling me to hit it, back off, etc. We drive for about 15 minutes and then exit the highway and as I stop to make the U turn, the car started to idle rough and cut off. I started it up and it still idled rough and then cut off again. I started it up, gave it a ton of gas to make it stay on, slipped the clutch just to make it be able to go and after it got rolling, it drove fine again on the highway.

We get back to the shop, and as we stop the idle is doing a ton of crazy stuff! It's like all over the place, Darin is doing his thing making adjustments to try to smooth it out but it just sounds like it's missing at idle. So, he takes the car and drives back and forth on the strip in front of the shop and after every pass, he's doing his adjustments. Well after about a hour or so, he changes the plugs, just to make sure that the plugs weren't fouled but when he pulled them they weren't fouled, so we still change them out and the car does the same thing. So at this time, it's like 7:00pm and it's a good thing that I didn't return the rental because I would have been stuck in Orlando and would have to pick up another rental to get back home.

So the long/short of the story, I had to leave the car so they could trouble shoot to figure out the problem. They checked a couple things today, grounds, etc. and they feel that it could be the AEM having an issue controlling the idle at low RPM's. So, the ECU will ship out on Monday to AEM so they could check it, and hopefully that's what the issue is.

Well, that's my update and will update when ECU gets to AEM.

I guess the hard part is done, we dynoed, made my power goal, and now it's just the driveability/idle that needs to be corrected!

Thanks for reading!
Old 10-21-11, 06:29 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

excellent #'s. hope you get the idle worked out.
Old 10-22-11, 08:03 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully its just the AEM. I'm sure you'll be fine man dont worry! Goodluck with everything and keep us posted...best build!