Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mechtech SC400 twin turbo kit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-04, 04:10 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

im still pushing for the twins....

CEO
Old 06-25-04, 09:23 AM
20s
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out that we also have a steering rack in our way, anyway to maybe get around it?

Tom
Old 06-25-04, 05:36 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup there wont be anything underneath and the big fat single turbo willbe right where the battery is for all to see
there is no steering rack in the way; you can route the passenger side exhaust manifold any way that you want; it can go above or below... easy answer would be to route UNDER the fan shroud and just above the front crossmember

may not even have to reroute the fuse box, and you could DEFINITELY use the stock manifolds if one were wanting to go on the cheap... if you're wanting to do it nicely; get custom manifolds made or use a set of aftermarket headers (the few that exist) and route them together...

T4 flanges are easy to find, and it'd be easy to setup the external wastegate right before the turbo, use a dumptube for the wastegate, or easily get it routed into the downpipe
Personally I'd run a T61 turbo and ~10psi with upgraded injectors on stock compression, i'd bet money on 400rwhp easy at that point with tuning and a front mount... i'd be more worried about the tranny

i do not know of any aftermarket headgaskets that would lower the compression like it is done on the 2jz-ge motor... prolly the most realistic option would to get a set of aftermarket pistons to lower the compression

twins would be tougher and you'd be stuck using used turbos more than likely; new turbos arent cheap, a T3 costs as much as a T4 new (actually i can get T04Bs for cheaper than new T3s)

i've actually got to sell my car soon maybe; i didnt get a promotion and this new apartment i got is killing me on the bills... making it where no money is going into savings and cant go do anything fun, might wind up doing a turbokit like this in the future (maybe for the girlfriend's car )

Last edited by Bean; 06-25-04 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-26-04, 12:31 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

good info!

CEO
Old 06-26-04, 07:48 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want a BIG single soooooo bad- but I have also beening kicking around the idea of a N/A 1UZ pushing 350-400 hp...
Old 06-26-04, 09:45 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by sc400texas
I want a BIG single soooooo bad- but I have also beening kicking around the idea of a N/A 1UZ pushing 350-400 hp...
Hmmm, a little more info would be good. You thinking about the SC490 or something? How much power does that car make anyways?

James
Old 06-26-04, 11:25 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im thinking about this kit- said to produce around 300 HP alone-

then after that- better breathing headers, possibly bore, and slight stroke, custom cams, new pistons, use the Motec ECU that lexmotorsport sells... that should atleast be good for 350 to the ground.
Old 06-27-04, 04:37 AM
marlew
Driver School Candidate

bean I like the way you are thinking mate.
Hi My name is Lew from Australia.
Bean I am in the process of nutting out a twin turbo 4 lt
But what I would like to see (if you can) is a tundra inlet manifold
Does it have a single throttle body out the front of the motor or out the side like the 1uz 4lt
and is the throttle body smaller than 100mm -4" you will need a 4"
what i am doing is twin GT 28 garrett roller bearing turbos
1 where the air box is and 1 were the battery is.
the manifolds are easy all pipes facing forwards and go under the alternator and the air conditioner compressor .
come back up to the turbos
place the air intakes(pods) inside the front bar
from compressor side of turbo through and some were under the headlight area to intercoolers then under the radiator collecting between the engine and the fan then up into a 4" throttle body

That is if the tundra has a front facing throttle body
But what about detination ??? any thing over about 6psi will start detination
How could you over come that ???
there is a lugs in the head that can be ground down and I suppose we would have to decompress the motor slightly say down to about 9:1 then water inject it.
what do you think??
cheers
Lew
Old 06-27-04, 08:24 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

then after that- better breathing headers, possibly bore, and slight stroke, custom cams, new pistons, use the Motec ECU that lexmotorsport sells... that should atleast be good for 350 to the ground.
problem is, after all that money you just spent to have 350rwhp... one could have built something like this:

ported stock heads
reground camshafts for higher lift and slightly more duration
valvetrain redo
upgraded injectors, fuel pump + additionals using emanage OR
Haltech or AEM with big injectors and big fuel, probable 7500rpm rev limit or more
big single GT40 turbo
4" downpipe and 3" duals
low compression pistons for 8:1 compression ratio
ARP head studs and other strengthening stuff like that
big nasty front mount
~25-30psi
600rwhp+ with a bigger, wider powerband than the setup you just listed; more than likely 700rwhp or more

this doesnt include using the tundra-motor piston sleeves which would allow for 4.9L of displacement

lots of possibilities on this motor; only trouble is finding a tranny to handle it

marlew, not sure about the intake manifold on the tundra, never seen a pic of one; i'll have to look
i am pretty positive it uses a single throttle body; tho its not a 100mm... you could definitely upgrade to something that large if you wanted (and if you had the correct engine management)

for the intercooler setup on a twin; i would run a twin inlet and single outlet front-mount from bottom to top; and then running a single 3" pipe to the throttle body
this would require removing the clutch fan and using an electric one to free up more space

twin GT28s on the 1uz would be ****ing nuts!!!
i think on the 1uz-fe compression of 10:1, you could run 10-12psi with timing retard and get away with it
to lower the compression, you'll more than likely have to use custom pistons; i would just use a set of weisco or JE pistons (i think either company can make a custom set of forged pistons for you)... run like 9:1 compression if you want to be running 15psi, etc...
if you're going to run GT28s, peak efficiency occurs at around 23psi and its still efficient to around 30psi
so i'd lower the compression more than 9:1, i'd go to 8:1 so you can run that much boost easily enough

GT-series turbochargers are designed to run wicked amounts of boost and still be very efficient, if you've seen the compressor maps on them, you'd understand what I mean

Last edited by Bean; 06-27-04 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 03:02 AM
marlew
Driver School Candidate

Bean .
Youare right on the money with what you have said mate.
The GT series will and need to run high boost.
The clutch fan should be OK for clearance with a 3" pipe up its back.
The tundra inlet manifold ...mate whats the chances of you doing me a favour and havea look at one for me I will need one eventually ..and may be a pic of one as well .
I would be in ya debt for life if ya could .hehehehhehehehe
Cheers bean and thanks..
Lew
Old 06-28-04, 10:28 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i know i'm a new jack when it comes to engine/tranny mods for performance but, what the f*kk am i looking at ??? what kind of setup is that?

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 06-28-04 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-28-04, 10:32 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
i know i'm a new jack when it comes to engine/tranny mods for performance but, what the f*kk am i looking at ??? what kind of setup is that?

um i think were gonna need a new hood with that?

CEO
Old 06-28-04, 01:13 PM
MRAD
Rookie

Bean, with the setup you showed in the SC400 pic will the A/C need removing, it gets pertty hot in Toronto in the summer and when it rains it gets to be a ***** driving to the track for 2 hours with no A/C. I think I might use that setup, the charger didn't seem to give enough bang for the buck, but with a turbo I could get some good power for a fair price; only want to get around 400 after turbo, BFI, headers, cat-back fuel pump, tuning and a few more things here and there. My friend owns a shop with some connestions so I could get the parts at cost.

Last edited by MRAD; 06-28-04 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 02:34 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by marlew
Bean .
Youare right on the money with what you have said mate.
The GT series will and need to run high boost.
The clutch fan should be OK for clearance with a 3" pipe up its back.
The tundra inlet manifold ...mate whats the chances of you doing me a favour and havea look at one for me I will need one eventually ..and may be a pic of one as well .
I would be in ya debt for life if ya could .hehehehhehehehe
Cheers bean and thanks..
Lew
I'll have a looksee at the Toyota dealer sometime this week and see what I find

MRAD,
I doubt the A/C compressor would need to be removed... the turbo header pipe from the passenger side of the motor would be going underthe compressor itself and just about even with the swaybar
the downpipe should route either down and back the driver-side of the motor; or just straight back and then down (though this would add to underhood temps)
Old 06-29-04, 10:57 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
Looks to be individuall throttle bodies. Its like what you'd find on an M3 or M5 (not sure of other cars with it). Instead of one throttle body at the top of the manifold, there's one for each cylinder, all controlled simultaneously. And yes, looks like we'd need a high rise hood.

Bean, I may be crazy, but when I was researching getting a GN, there was a lot of writing about the wonders of alcohol injection. Couldn't we use alcohol/water injection to cool the charged air? I'm sure no one's ever done it on a 400 though so it would be a huge task, but so is doing a single or twins set up. Just a thought, you know turbos better than me and could tell me if and/or why its a bad idea.

James

Quick Reply: Mechtech SC400 twin turbo kit!