Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mechtech SC400 twin turbo kit!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 10:59 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys are looking to do a single heres what i did i'm my last car. All said and done ~$4000 and I bought way to much stainless steel.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/qtb...tb33/my_photos

I imagine it MAY be very similar.

It was 100% made by me and a good friend. Minus the headers.....I already had them.

PS a big single there is loud, and it the coolest sound ever!!!

I would liek to see twins as well. I'm planning a swap on my SC but I have been looking at the V8. Will the getrag 6spd match up. I think i read it dose but dont really know. I think this may be cheaper than doing NA-T or GTE. But would prolly still need the supra drive train.

Many people have said the engine is strong but how strong? Are we talking 1000HP on stock internals? I heard the rods were a bit on the small side but from a non-lexus source. I personally only would like 500-600 RWHP.

OH man I'm getting all gitty like a school girl......

I'll post more as i think of it

Last edited by qtb33; 06-29-04 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-02-04, 01:20 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by qtb33
If you guys are looking to do a single heres what i did i'm my last car. All said and done ~$4000 and I bought way to much stainless steel.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/qtb...tb33/my_photos

I imagine it MAY be very similar.

It was 100% made by me and a good friend. Minus the headers.....I already had them.

PS a big single there is loud, and it the coolest sound ever!!!

I would liek to see twins as well. I'm planning a swap on my SC but I have been looking at the V8. Will the getrag 6spd match up. I think i read it dose but dont really know. I think this may be cheaper than doing NA-T or GTE. But would prolly still need the supra drive train.

Many people have said the engine is strong but how strong? Are we talking 1000HP on stock internals? I heard the rods were a bit on the small side but from a non-lexus source. I personally only would like 500-600 RWHP.

OH man I'm getting all gitty like a school girl......

I'll post more as i think of it
Did you ever post what happened to your probe?...maybe you did and i didnt see it....anyhow what happened?

CEO
Old 07-05-04, 06:03 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

I was comming home from a friends house at 200am and opened it up a little. I was also on a road i didn't know very well. When i was looking down at the tach I came up on a "S" corner and over drove the car out of shear stupidity and tiredness. Anyhoo i hit a pole and then two trees and a utility box. I parted it out and then ran it over with a bull dozer and later had a party where we lit it on fire.

It seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Either way the car was my first attempt at building a turbo car. I had great success with it and decided to move up in the world. I figured I would rather mess up a $3000 old college car other than some thing nice.
Old 07-07-04, 01:56 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by qtb33
I was comming home from a friends house at 200am and opened it up a little. I was also on a road i didn't know very well. When i was looking down at the tach I came up on a "S" corner and over drove the car out of shear stupidity and tiredness. Anyhoo i hit a pole and then two trees and a utility box. I parted it out and then ran it over with a bull dozer and later had a party where we lit it on fire.

It seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Either way the car was my first attempt at building a turbo car. I had great success with it and decided to move up in the world. I figured I would rather mess up a $3000 old college car other than some thing nice.
Nice..stay out of my hood!!!...hehehe j/k

CEO
Old 07-07-04, 10:06 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jet864
Looks to be individuall throttle bodies. Its like what you'd find on an M3 or M5 (not sure of other cars with it). Instead of one throttle body at the top of the manifold, there's one for each cylinder, all controlled simultaneously. And yes, looks like we'd need a high rise hood.

Bean, I may be crazy, but when I was researching getting a GN, there was a lot of writing about the wonders of alcohol injection. Couldn't we use alcohol/water injection to cool the charged air? I'm sure no one's ever done it on a 400 though so it would be a huge task, but so is doing a single or twins set up. Just a thought, you know turbos better than me and could tell me if and/or why its a bad idea.

James
alky injection would work great on the sc4, especially on the stock compression ratio; it'd take some experienting to get the right amount tuned in, but it could be done... i'm pretty sure most of the GN kits would work flawlessly onthe SC4, only slight modifcation would be needed

iwas looking at doing it to my car at one point; but tuning and getting the car running perfect should be priority one; and sadly with my stupid intercooler setup; i havent gotten to that point either... and finances havent been to well either
Old 07-10-04, 09:21 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean
alky injection would work great on the sc4, especially on the stock compression ratio; it'd take some experienting to get the right amount tuned in, but it could be done... i'm pretty sure most of the GN kits would work flawlessly onthe SC4, only slight modifcation would be needed

iwas looking at doing it to my car at one point; but tuning and getting the car running perfect should be priority one; and sadly with my stupid intercooler setup; i havent gotten to that point either... and finances havent been to well either
Are you not ICed yet??? I agree with you though, getting it up and running should be first and foremost. Now with Ethan back in the game. I'm sure we will see a functioning turbo SC400 to some degree.

James
Old 07-28-04, 09:29 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice to see that the "elusive" 1UZFE Turbo "Dream" is still out there. Bean, thanks for all the input. I actually think a Single T is better than a TT, and a whole lot easier and cheaper to build. If designed right, the AC compressor will stay in the car (Hurrah, Hurrah!!). The custom manifold definitely has to be made, along with the piping. Transmission could be a problem, depending upon how much HP and TQ, you run, but I do remember reading and speaking to Todd Matsubara about his 91 SC400 with a big shot NOS. If I remember correctly, he ran consistant sub 11's or 12's in the 1/4 mile. In fact something like 12 runs all together, could not break the engine or the trans. Maybe it is more durable than we think?

No offense intended, but what I don't understand, is why there is always talk about it, but nobody seems to doing anything about turboing their SC400? I guess we will just have to wait and see who really comes up with one...

Ryan
Old 07-28-04, 11:29 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No offense intended, but what I don't understand, is why there is always talk about it, but nobody seems to doing anything about turboing their SC400? I guess we will just have to wait and see who really comes up with one...
your talking too, just post back when its completed. good luck!
Old 07-29-04, 04:59 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by aliga
your talking too, just post back when its completed. good luck!
Fair Enough!!
Old 08-17-04, 03:39 PM
20s
Rookie

Good news guys,

Today i was ridin around and found a local shop that had an SC300 TT sittin in their garage, i told the guy that i was looking to try and boost my 400 and he said that he could do it! I haven't really gotten any price ranges but he was talking to me about going NA and making like 450-500 hp which would cost about 4 grand. So assuming that im sure he could custom build a single turbo for under 7-8 maybe even 6 grand. Im going to call him tommorrow and talk to him some more i will keep u guys posted.

Tom
Old 08-17-04, 05:12 PM
legendary
Racer

Tom, what shop was this? Mahdavi?
Old 08-17-04, 06:59 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by 20s
Good news guys,

Today i was ridin around and found a local shop that had an SC300 TT sittin in their garage, i told the guy that i was looking to try and boost my 400 and he said that he could do it! I haven't really gotten any price ranges but he was talking to me about going NA and making like 450-500 hp which would cost about 4 grand. So assuming that im sure he could custom build a single turbo for under 7-8 maybe even 6 grand. Im going to call him tommorrow and talk to him some more i will keep u guys posted.

Tom
yeah there is this guy in canada who claims he can do a turbo for the SC4 also but i havent been up there to visit him yet...he quoted about the same price as your guy...maybe this is easier than we think or maybe not..

CEO
Old 08-18-04, 05:53 PM
20s
Rookie

the shop is called Finish Line Motorsports, its off canton st. right behind finish line car wash. Legendary if u want we can meet up sometime this week and ride up there together.

Tom
Old 08-18-04, 06:27 PM
legendary
Racer

That would be great 20s....we might have to do it next week though, I am kinda tied up this week.

Shoot me a PM or email me at leon.millette@cingular.com

Thanks!
Old 08-19-04, 12:38 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
problem is, after all that money you just spent to have 350rwhp... one could have built something like this:

ported stock heads
reground camshafts for higher lift and slightly more duration
valvetrain redo
upgraded injectors, fuel pump + additionals using emanage OR
Haltech or AEM with big injectors and big fuel, probable 7500rpm rev limit or more
big single GT40 turbo
4" downpipe and 3" duals
low compression pistons for 8:1 compression ratio
ARP head studs and other strengthening stuff like that
big nasty front mount
~25-30psi
600rwhp+ with a bigger, wider powerband than the setup you just listed; more than likely 700rwhp or more

this doesnt include using the tundra-motor piston sleeves which would allow for 4.9L of displacement

lots of possibilities on this motor; only trouble is finding a tranny to handle it

marlew, not sure about the intake manifold on the tundra, never seen a pic of one; i'll have to look
i am pretty positive it uses a single throttle body; tho its not a 100mm... you could definitely upgrade to something that large if you wanted (and if you had the correct engine management)
Bean, I was thinking kind of the same thing. But, my thoughts were to source a 1998+ 1UZ or even 3UZFE engine, 5 speed tranny and ECU... do a swap. Right there you have 300hp and MUCH MUCH better overall drivability and reliability than trying to tune a stand alone. Add headers, exhaust, intake and you have 325+hp easy. If you can tap into the stock ECU and move the rev limit up to 7000rpm you would have 350hp easy. All without going into the engine. Headwork and cams could see 400hp but I would go turbo first. Several have successfully FI'd this combo and 400-500hp should be very realistic on the stock engine.

FYI, David Phan at www.lextreme.com has low comp copper headgaskets for the 1UZFE.

The Tundra does use a front mount throttle body with a 75mm bore (2.96"). That will support a LOT of power with boost.

Quick Reply: Mechtech SC400 twin turbo kit!