Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 12:42 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

one hell of a mod.. i always wanted to do that with my exhaust.. it must sound great flooring it.
Old 12-23-09, 12:49 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is SICK I am thoroughly enjoying it! I will upload a video of the exhaust note when it stops snowing and gets a little dry.
Old 12-23-09, 01:10 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edinlexv8
Strange JBrady, after a lot of research on the net, I found that 2.5" is the right size for a 4.0 V8 motor to get the best performance

Found the same in the other Mustang forums too
2.25" would give you a nice even distribution of increased low and high end power. 2.5" and you will lose a bit of low end power. We are talking about dual exhausts here, not single. A 2.5" piping will work well with a sc300 i6, which is sufficient enough for a mild turbo setup as well. 3" on a sc3 would be nice if you are running a t60 setup. 2.5" on a sc400 would be nice while supercharged. I wouldn't go more than a 2.25" if it's a na V8 sc400. My custom exhaust setup is 2.25 "x" pipe setup, and it's great so far!
Old 12-23-09, 01:19 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Exhaust wrap is generally used to wrap the exhaust manifold/headers. This is to keep the exhaust gases warm, so that they exit the system quickly. I dont need to bother about rust as the headers are stainless steel Aalso the high temperature of the headers would keep the wrap bone dry!
The concern is not about rust of course (stainless steel), hello.. It's also not to keep the exhaust gases warmer either so that it exits the system quickly. Wraps are to keep exhaust temps lower under the hood. Also, wraping stainless headers are not recommended due to possible cracking in the long term. You might want to look into that.
Old 12-23-09, 02:32 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

Originally Posted by scfou
Wraps are to keep exhaust temps lower under the hood
Hello scfou, you are right about this and I explained this below.

It's also not to keep the exhaust gases warmer either so that it exits the system quickly.
Sorry mate I dont agree with you on this.

Basically the exhaust gases coming out of the engine are extremely hot and at high pressure. Once they come out into the headers, they obviously expand and loose the heat resulting in the gas molecules slowing down with reduced kinetic energy. So when the next set of cylinders fires and the gases exit into the headers and you still have some of the previous exhaust gases sitting in the system offering resistance to the flow of gases. This obviously results in you losing some of the power. So you have to opt for the least possible resistance in the system. This can be achieve in the following ways:

1) All the performance exhausts are straight through and offers least resistance to the out going gases. This increases horse power.

2) In a V6 or V8 configuration you have exit from either sides of the engine. So adding a balance pipe makes the gases go out of the system even faster. This is because when you add a balance pipe in a V system, the gases coming out of one side is used to create a negative pressure(vacuum sort) on the other side. When the next set of gases comes out of the second side they exit with higher speed due to this negative pressure and inturn causing a negative pressure in the first side. This is one of the reasons to have a balance pipe either a H pipe, X pipe or a Prochamber.

3) Also you can make the gases exit the system even faster by keeping the gases hot. This can be achieved by wrapping the headers in a wrap which generally is made of materials that insulate heat. This keeps the gases hot and they exit the system quickly and produce more power. Also this results in the exhaust gases not dissipating heat under the hood and keeping the temp low under the hood (you can choose to use the easier option of a heat shield to keep the temp low under the hood but this will not result in hot exhaust gases as the heat would be dissipated into the air not resulting in added power).

Ceramic coating is the best option than wrapping but unfortuantely I never managed to find a ceramic coating company in here and gave up on this idea and stuck to wrapping.
Old 12-23-09, 02:40 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

2.25" would give you a nice even distribution of increased low and high end power. 2.5" and you will lose a bit of low end power. We are talking about dual exhausts here, not single. A 2.5" piping will work well with a sc300 i6, which is sufficient enough for a mild turbo setup as well. 3" on a sc3 would be nice if you are running a t60 setup. 2.5" on a sc400 would be nice while supercharged. I wouldn't go more than a 2.25" if it's a na V8 sc400. My custom exhaust setup is 2.25 "x" pipe setup, and it's great so far!
Supercharging is the next on the todo list after chipping. So I am fine with the 2.5" exhaust.

You can check this thread out for more info about the size of the piping for an SC400 in which Scott clearly mentions the power gains he got with 2.5" exhaust.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-guide-2.html

Last edited by edinlexv8; 12-23-09 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 03:58 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

i just mentioned the exhaust wrap stuff to give you a heads up and for you to keep an eye on it.if it's all good for you then all is well.good luck.i'm going to be putting headers and a new exhaust on myself.the last part i was waiting on showed up on my porch today.mufflers yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 12-23-09, 08:01 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Strange JBrady, after a lot of research on the net, I found that 2.5" is the right size for a 4.0 V8 motor to get the best performance

Found the same in the other Mustang forums too
Well, if you do a search on my name and exhaust both on Club Lexus and Lextreme you will find a great deal of the reasons behind my statements.

If you are not a Lextreme member it is a great performace site for these engines. Here is a long thread and my post in that long thread for detail.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=56

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showt...?t=6955&page=6

Heck, for that matter do a google search on jbrady lexus headers
Old 12-24-09, 05:56 AM
edinlexv8
Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
Well, if you do a search on my name and exhaust both on Club Lexus and Lextreme you will find a great deal of the reasons behind my statements.

If you are not a Lextreme member it is a great performace site for these engines. Here is a long thread and my post in that long thread for detail.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=56

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showt...?t=6955&page=6

Heck, for that matter do a google search on jbrady lexus headers
I am going down the supercharging line and I am dont want to upgrade my exhaust again. So I suppose 2.5" is the right one for me. Yes I am a member of lextreme and will go through these links.
Old 12-25-09, 09:31 PM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

such a inspriation to us v8s
Old 12-25-09, 11:27 PM
scfou
Pole Position

I recommend All Muffler and Auto Services, my boy Peter does nice exhaust work. He's in San Francisco, CA. If you guys are nearby just pm me for their info. One thing though, no mandrel machine.
Old 12-26-09, 07:33 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! Those are the same headers I have, Glad to see them mounted up. I like youre custom Xpipe, I'll take one.
Old 12-26-09, 12:21 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

nice write up!
Old 12-26-09, 03:01 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats really nice!
Old 12-27-09, 02:47 AM
edinlexv8