Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 04:53 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust

Hello Folks,
Continuing on my mods to my V8 soarer/SC400 (check the following links/threads for more info),

1) Air Intake - Big Freaking Intake (BFI)

2) Chrome Projector headlights + Alteeza/supra style tail lights upgrade

3) Replace double din unit with an aftermarket 7" DVD SatNav + Battery Upgrade

4) Supra TT Big Brake Upgrade + Alloys Upgrade

5) Radiator replacement

6) Chrome projector headlights modification

7) Front Lower, upper control arm renovation and bushing, steering rack bushing

8) Diff Centre replacement (Also changed the corroded brake pipes at the same time)

I have been working on replacing/upgrading my the full V8 exhaust including the headers. I wanted to get the best performance upgrade from this mod. After doing quite a few hours of research found that for a V8 spec a 2.5" straight through system would be best to give the best performance/torque both at low and high end of the rpm. Bought a set of RUSH Headers from AUS, though it has been an arduous task to replace the exhaust manifold + cats, we successfully managed to do this. Part of the plan is to wrap the headers with an exhaust wrap (as I could not find any ceramic powder coating companies in edinburgh). Following are the pics from this mod.

Before unwrapping (package arrived like this)

After unwrapping:

Exhaust wrap:

Old cats:

Old manifold, cats and manifold gasket:

Replaced the engine mounts at the same time.

Also upgraded to a race alternator (130amps output) - Bought from Lextreme

My phone touch screen stopped responding during this installation. So could not continue taking the pics. Post installation of the headers to the stock cat back exhaust looks like this (ran a little short of the exhaust wrap):

I was initially planning to stop this exhaust upgrade in here for a couple of months but during the installation the corroded exhaust (cat back exhaust) gave up and we found a couple of big leaks. So I have to go ahead and replace the remaining exhaust as well.

I literally spend a good part of 5-6 hours researching on the design of the balance pipe as getting the right balance pipe gives the best performance upgrade. After looking into the design of H pipes, X pipes, mustang pro chambers etc etc ended up with the following design giving the best performance and exhaust note (combination of H and X Pipes) @ both low end and the high end of the rpm.

http://planetsoarer.com/pdf/xfactorcolour.pdf

After discussing my design with a lot of stainless steel exhaust shops up and down the country, finally managed to find a guy who agreed to build a custom balance pipe (www.simonscustomexhausts.co.uk) outside Glasgow. Here are the pics of the remaining exhaust.

Have to tell you folks, I am very pleased with this mod. The exhaust note is amazing. For normal speeds in the city it is pretty quite (sounds like a turbo subaru) but when you put the foot down the V8 grunt is very impressive. Sounds like a muscle car with a deep note! I personally think Simon did a master piece of an exhaust for my car. Also have to thank Jim from Car craft for doing a great job on my headers and exhaust wrap.

Will get some more pics and videos of the exhaust once it stops snowing.

Cheers

Last edited by edinlexv8; 12-22-09 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 06:14 PM
v135
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, impressive dude!
I wanna hear what that sounds like..
Old 12-23-09, 01:42 AM
edinlexv8
Driver

I would like to get some videos up in here, but I dont think I can drive the car for atleast a week. This is how our car park look today!

Old 12-23-09, 01:47 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

give it some 3-4 months and the boxer engine noise will go away.

your headers came that shiny? mine came with some ugly blue paint
Old 12-23-09, 02:05 AM
edinlexv8
Driver

Did you get your headers from RUSH imports AUS too?
Old 12-23-09, 02:51 AM
Kaydee

uh huh...

how they came.

ceramic coated

finished work
Old 12-23-09, 04:05 AM
edinlexv8
Driver

I remember these photos! I have seen them in the exhuasts thread. Great setup mate! Mine is a 1991 SC so dont need any cats. Strange how your headers are blue! I was tempted to go for a magnaflow X Pipe but chose to go down this way of a custom balance pipe/centre box.

From what I understood, the design of the centre box (balance pipe) is critical for getting the best performance and best V8 note. The sounds pulses get balanced in this place.

Buying a magnaflow X pipe is the easiest and the cheapest thing to do. But after doing a good research on the H Pipe, X Pipe and esp Mustang ProChamber (read up on this), this design out performs an X Pipe.

Also check the following link on planet soarer about the x pipe design

http://planetsoarer.com/pdf/xfactorcolour.pdf

Good article about exhaust design, worth a read.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...exh/index.html
Old 12-23-09, 09:28 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome write-ups!!!
Old 12-23-09, 09:36 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it a good idea to have that exhaust wrap on the bottom of your car like that.had a friend put it on his pipes (motorcycle)and it staretd to rust the pipes out.its going to get wet and muddy and all kinds of crap in it under the car.and it looks like you are getting some snow so add salt also.
Old 12-23-09, 09:58 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I am pleased that you are happy with your system. The most important part of a mod is whether or not the owner is happy.

I personally believe you would have had even more performance from smaller pipe sizes. The ONLY reason I mention this is not to in any way take away from your very nice SC but to help others who are considering exhaust upgrades.

My opinions are easy found on this subject by searching so I will leave it at that.
Old 12-23-09, 10:47 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks pretty good!
Old 12-23-09, 10:50 AM
edinlexv8
Driver

Strange JBrady, after a lot of research on the net, I found that 2.5" is the right size for a 4.0 V8 motor to get the best performance

Found the same in the other Mustang forums too
Old 12-23-09, 10:55 AM
edinlexv8
Driver

Originally Posted by matrixgts
is it a good idea to have that exhaust wrap on the bottom of your car like that.had a friend put it on his pipes (motorcycle)and it staretd to rust the pipes out.its going to get wet and muddy and all kinds of crap in it under the car.and it looks like you are getting some snow so add salt also.
Exhaust wrap is generally used to wrap the exhaust manifold/headers. This is to keep the exhaust gases warm, so that they exit the system quickly. I dont need to bother about rust as the headers are stainless steel Aalso the high temperature of the headers would keep the wrap bone dry!
Old 12-23-09, 11:58 AM
Kaydee

thanks, man...yeah the Xpipe was something that I grabbed at the last minute...but I'm excited to see what your balance pipe setup will do for you. Once you do the BFI the V8 will roar a bit more
Old 12-23-09, 12:01 PM
edinlexv8
Driver

BFI is the first mod I did on my car. Not sure whether I have to go for some other intake with an aftermarket filter to increase the airflow. Next thing on the list is to chip/piggyback ECU. What do you guys suggest is the best? Currently I am looking at UNICHIP or Emanage Ultimate.

Quick Reply: Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust