Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

99 SC300 water pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 01:58 PM
brenden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
I would just go to Lexus and get one , and not worry about not being the right one.
It will save you alot of time and hassle.
Yeah. Thats about what I have resigned myself to. I would love to save that 100 dollars though. That would buy the better part of one of the two tires I am about to buy for it....
Old 05-18-10, 10:20 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Funny,

I just ran into the same issue with the 10 bolt/11 bolt. There doesn't seem to be any defined rhyme or reason as to when they switched, particularly if the WP has previously been replaced.

Unfortunately with the 99 I would venture to guess you have the 11-bolt (more expensive one)... That's what I had on my 96.

Good luck,
Jonny
Funny, my 95 had the 11 bolt and my 96 has the 10, both of which have the same size pulley.
Old 05-18-10, 11:35 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Yes sir that's correct i will take some pics this week end to show the difference and i will install both WP to the 2JZ non VVTi just so you guys can see stay tuned.
That should clear all the confusions...
Incorrect. I have 2 2JZ-GE's sitting in my yard right now. One is a 95 and one is a 96 - both non-VVT-I. The 96 has a 10 hole, the 95 has an 11 hole. At first glance they look interchangeable, but the bolt pattern is indeed different.
Old 08-10-10, 08:43 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This sucks. Just ordered an Aisin water pump from ebay and do not know if it will fit. It says it will fit 92-00 SC300. This is really buggin' me besides looking for an instruction how to remove it. I don't want to deal with online returns
Old 08-10-10, 08:52 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Not that it really matters, but you can take the back housing off that attaches to the transfer tube and get a 10/11 hole housing to match your pump.
Old 08-10-10, 09:02 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just wondering if maybe the vvti SC's use the same part # as 2nd gen GS300's?

if those part #'s are the same, could save headaches when buying aftermarket waterpumps just ask for one for a 98+GS?
Old 08-10-10, 09:20 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just realized that I bought the full water pump unit not just the outer part, where the pulley is attached.

So I guess it doesn't matter if I bought the 10/11-hole, just install that whole unit and I am good right?

If I just bought the outer part and it does not match the housing, which is the one installed in my car, basically I bought the wrong part?

Please clarify, I have a 97 2JZGE by the way.

Whole WP unit:

Outer part only:

Old 08-10-10, 09:32 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
Incorrect. I have 2 2JZ-GE's sitting in my yard right now. One is a 95 and one is a 96 - both non-VVT-I. The 96 has a 10 hole, the 95 has an 11 hole. At first glance they look interchangeable, but the bolt pattern is indeed different.
Dude as long as it's a GE non VVTi all the Waterpump are interchangeable, i do this all day everyday i know the part number by heart.
It doesn't matter 10 hole or 11 hole they both bolt up to the block the same say.

Paco VVTi GS and SC don't use the same waterpump the GS use an Eletric fan with IS300 and the SC uses the Clutch fan all the way up to 2000.
SC never had an electric Fan , but the does.
You can't use a GS water pump on the SC +unless you are going with the some electric fan.
You can't bolt up a clutch fan on the GS WP because the holes on the Clutch doesn't not line up with the studs that comes of the WP and the studs are smaller instead of being 12mm just like on the SC, they are 10mm and it will not work unless change the front housing.
Old 08-10-10, 09:34 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Yes that will work on you 97 SC all the way up to 2000 as long as they are 300s.
Old 08-10-10, 10:23 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Dude as long as it's a GE non VVTi all the Waterpump are interchangeable, i do this all day everyday i know the part number by heart.
It doesn't matter 10 hole or 11 hole they both bolt up to the block the same say.
...if you have the whole unit with the t-stat housing, true. Like I said, I have a 95 and 96 motor in front of me and one is 10 bolt and one is 11. Maybe someone changed the back housing on one of the engines previously.
Old 08-10-10, 12:19 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Ok i see what you are saying now lol it make sense to me , But i don't know why some people like to change the front part , i have never changed the front housing i've always replace the whole unit.
Old 08-10-10, 11:46 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Paco VVTi GS and SC don't use the same waterpump the GS use an Eletric fan with IS300 and the SC uses the Clutch fan all the way up to 2000.
You can't use a GS water pump on the SC +unless you are going with the some electric fan.
You can't bolt up a clutch fan on the GS WP because the holes on the Clutch doesn't not line up with the studs that comes of the WP and the studs are smaller instead of being 12mm just like on the SC, they are 10mm and it will not work unless change the front housing.

yeah good point i didn't think about that, i had a 98 GS300 at one point but didn't hold on to it very long..
Old 09-02-10, 01:58 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

omar

tell me if you think my waterpump is malfunctioniong

i normally can open the rad cap and once thermo opens i can clearly see coolant circulating even with a bad headgasket it would just make occaisional bumbles

today i wanted to try bleeding once more and today once thermo opened coolant moved very very very slowly then started to perculate and spit out the top of the rad.. thinking maybe thermo was bad i removed it put it in boiling water and it opened and closed just fine i put thermo back in rebled system and perculating was not as prevelant but yet still there so i connected to aem to see water temp real time and it was steady climbing to 210 ( usually leaving it idling it would be around 187-192 depending how hot outside is and how long i leave it idling) so i revved motor steady for like 30-45 sec at around 4k rpm and immed i hear so sort of bearing noise in the area of alt /waterpump and immed temp came down to 189 ish from 210like someone opened the flood gqtes

now my mechanical mind is telling me its a waterpump on the way out or starting to fall apart or maybe a impeller blade might have broken only becuase rad is new , thermo is working but yet little movement inside rad
Old 09-03-10, 03:00 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

ED i hate to tell you this but i will replace the WP and Thermostat when you pull the head of.
Mine will bubble and push the coolant in the overtank bottle and then it will start to **** coolant once the bottle is full and during all this crap the car will never overheat...
I have replaced the cap, thermostat and bleed the whole system still didn't fix the issue.
I didn't replace the water pump because it was brand new at the end when i pulled the head off sure enough the gasket was blown.
Old 09-05-10, 04:15 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LEXFORLIFE what did you figure out on this?

Quick Reply: 99 SC300 water pump