Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 02:04 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CXRacing. Its gonna be braced and cleaned before installed. Thats if i even use it..i might end up using something else.
Old 02-11-10, 09:42 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i think its a bish to do, and for about the same price it gonna end up doing a na-t the right way including machining the head and block for a metal headgasket might as well just do a swap thats what i did.
Old 02-11-10, 10:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it was fun and totally worth it. biggest role is engine management.
watch out though, you may have to learn a thing or two along the way (or use the search button)
Old 02-11-10, 10:19 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
it was fun and totally worth it. biggest role is engine management.
watch out though, you may have to learn a thing or two along the way (or use the search button)
what e-management are you running?
Old 02-11-10, 11:24 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
i think its a bish to do, and for about the same price it gonna end up doing a na-t the right way including machining the head and block for a metal headgasket might as well just do a swap thats what i did.
But you are still on the Stock twins which will blow at anytime or are already blown
I have been there and done that, you will spend around $2000.00 to go single turbo once you rip the twins out,That's the true and i am not trying to bash you or anything.
For me the Na-t is the best way to go if you have HHP goal anything over 400RWHP.
Old 02-11-10, 12:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ashtray
what e-management are you running?
I have used most of them. First map-ecu, then safc 2, currently aem ems.
I plan on getting my car running on a JDM TT ecu I have laying around, Im curious to see how it compares to the ems at my power levels. I would recommend choosing something MAP based, it will be much better in the end.

Originally Posted by quickGS300
But you are still on the Stock twins which will blow at anytime or are already blown
I have been there and done that, you will spend around $2000.00 to go single turbo once you rip the twins out,That's the true and i am not trying to bash you or anything.
For me the Na-t is the best way to go if you have HHP goal anything over 400RWHP.
Yup, you can go straight to single. hardly any downtime, and you dont have to do the headgasket right away if you keep the boost low. Ive been running 9psi about a year on a stock 2jzge put down 330rwhp.
you can spend all that install money on engine management.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-11-10 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:19 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

im currently gonna be on SAFC2..what were your opinions on it?
Old 02-11-10, 05:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

it gets the job done for low boost but thats about it. it has no control over timing and all you can tune is WOT basically, so partial throttle leaves much to be desired. I did drive on it for several months but i couldn't take it anymore.. lol
Old 02-11-10, 08:26 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

What was so annoying about it? that you could only take it for so many months...
Old 02-12-10, 04:14 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
What was so annoying about it? that you could only take it for so many months...
let me explain

na ecu has no reference for positive pressure built into its fuel and timing maps

once you utilize a piggyback to try and control fuel to go into the unknown territory things change rapidly

stock ecu has avery narrow range of adjustments in closed loop mode and if you dont get your piggyback settings 100% perfect to emulate this range with short term and long term fuel trims ecu will fight you and override the piggyback settings making driving in vac a total nightmare

then theres timing control.. again stock na ecu has no real ref for positive pressure so when you go into boost any noise picked up by stock knock sensors and stock ecu only has what info is in its lookup maps to compensate and wants to pull and advance timing at the wrong points making it unrealiable

i have been there done that with piggybacks and WILL NEVER EVER USE PIGGYS ON ANYTHING I BUILD PERIOD .. its just not worth the trouble

on a na-t setup having total control of fuel and timing is the only way to go , it just gives you a solid platform to utilize and its scaleable meaning as your thirst for power increases you can make the necc adjustments for larger turbo/injectors etc etc

and as a bonus , no worries about check engine lights ..you dont use any of that stuff anymore

your car solely runs on coolant temp sensor, map sensor, tps,iat and depending on your tuner your wideband for just idle feedback.. all other crap gets taken out

you should see my harness .. once i removed all uncessary stuf the actual diameter of my harness is probably about 1/4 inch around
Old 02-12-10, 10:01 AM
boostd4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
your car solely runs on coolant temp sensor, map sensor, tps,iat and depending on your tuner your wideband for just idle feedback.. all other crap gets taken out
Wow you must have a miracle motor that doesn't need a crank/cam reference to fire the plugs/injectors
Old 02-12-10, 10:05 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boostd4
Wow you must have a miracle motor that doesn't need a crank/cam reference to fire the plugs/injectors
well my mistake for not stating the obvious
Old 02-12-10, 11:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

haha, my engine runs on hopes and wishes too..

seriously what lexforlife said is accurate. if the stock ecu gets confused (which can happen quite easily), it can easily throw in just enough timing and fueling changes to put you in the range of possible engine detonation. the only way to avoid the fueling swings with the safc is to run it pig rich, and now your talking really poor mpg.

I ran the same tune basically for a few months but a few times I got in the situation where the ecu would try and learn something and I would start a WOT pull to 10 psi (my full boost at the time) and the motor would start to randomly knock while building boost and a second after it would just go bam like something loud detonating in the exhaust system. I am almost positive the ecu did some whacky timing adjustments cause my wideband was dead on (its always plugged in on my a pillar). I get out of the car, reset the ecu, and boost to 10 psi no problem with the same tune. my engine was fine but i I wouldnt ever try that again, if the boost was higher it would be totally done for.
luckily the 2jz is a quite hardy motor under a bar of boost, even on stock compression.

I would suggest researching about using a TT ecu. its a little complicated at first but much cheaper than a standalone (which is also complicated)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-12-10 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 12:19 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is nothing wrong with na-t, provided you dont cut corners. If your going to get a used turbo, get one that is a good brand to start(turbonetics, greddy, precision, etc.), that has been well taken care of with ZERO shaft play.

If your only planning 5-6 psi, you dont need much to have a reliable setup, just keep an eye on your AFR's, use quality parts (no ebay bov's or wastegates cause they do tend to leak). I have been na-t for some miles now, daily driven, and have had no issues at all and am prepping as we speak to go to the next step and make more power with minimal effort, and its not costing much at all..keep your eyes open for ashtray's build thread, and later my new build thread.

90% of the people complaining about na-t, either didnt know what they were doing, boosted an engine that wasnt healthy enough for it, or cut corners and used cheap parts, or just flat out did something wrong (ie-tuning, cheap i/c couplers, old HG, etc.) but if you would like some help, or have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 02-12-10, 02:58 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
there is nothing wrong with na-t, provided you dont cut corners. If your going to get a used turbo, get one that is a good brand to start(turbonetics, greddy, precision, etc.), that has been well taken care of with ZERO shaft play.

If your only planning 5-6 psi, you dont need much to have a reliable setup, just keep an eye on your AFR's, use quality parts (no ebay bov's or wastegates cause they do tend to leak). I have been na-t for some miles now, daily driven, and have had no issues at all and am prepping as we speak to go to the next step and make more power with minimal effort, and its not costing much at all..keep your eyes open for ashtray's build thread, and later my new build thread.

90% of the people complaining about na-t, either didnt know what they were doing, boosted an engine that wasnt healthy enough for it, or cut corners and used cheap parts, or just flat out did something wrong (ie-tuning, cheap i/c couplers, old HG, etc.) but if you would like some help, or have any questions feel free to PM me.
Ill be pimping the ebay wastegate lol

Quick Reply: NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?