Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 03:13 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 7sins
Well here it is... Tuning is a MAJOR factor in any performance app. Whether it's NA-T or a 1j/2jgte. I completely agree with evileagle. If that's all the power you want a 1jz is very simple and the wiring is not hard at all especially with sites like this one and club NA-T and supra forums at your back. With a 1jz you can easily make 400-600 with supporting mods. If you know the right people/shops you can get parts fairly cheap. Personally the thing about going NA-T is the mileage they have on them. Most have at least a 100k and I think that's just to many miles to boost the motor. Now I'm sure people have boosted 200k motors and been ok, but I won't. Now that would mean rebuild the GE and that costs a few bucks. Not to mention the pain in the *** intake manifold(changing spark plugs sucks big horse *****). If you're tuning I bet you go thru atleast one set of plugs if not more. I say F that. So Just go GTE!!! People will disagree but I think it's cheaper and EASIER than NA-T. It takes 10 minutes to change plugs on a GTE and takes hours to change plugs on a GE. That in itself should be enough for you or anyone to wanna go GTE.
No disrespect but GE's are no fun and i would never waist my time on one!!

please dont spew misinfo here

i have 120k on my motor with perfect compression , made 561@21psi on a aem nuff said

changing plugs takes 15mins tops , dont know what tools you use

the na head flows better

the across the top manifold makes more trq and is actually proven to be safer for running boost than the side intake ( whole other arguement)

it comes dow to choices and i would put in 6 new toyota pistons and new bearings and rings before putting in the crap outa of japan these days

at the end of the day its up to the ownerof car

for his power goals na-t is the way to go , my opinion

based on simplicity and overall cost
Old 02-17-10, 03:31 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
please dont spew misinfo here

i have 120k on my motor with perfect compression , made 561@21psi on a aem nuff said

changing plugs takes 15mins tops , dont know what tools you use

the na head flows better

the across the top manifold makes more trq and is actually proven to be safer for running boost than the side intake ( whole other arguement)

it comes dow to choices and i would put in 6 new toyota pistons and new bearings and rings before putting in the crap outa of japan these days

at the end of the day its up to the ownerof car

for his power goals na-t is the way to go , my opinion

based on simplicity and overall cost

..I couldnt agree more..and about the misinformation, seems that the SC section of the forums is suddenly filled with know-it-all misinformed noob's, and something needs to be about it.

The thing is with engine swaps, you DONT KNOW THE HISTORY...just cause its clean, and passes leak down and compression tests, doesnt mean some Japanese/Canadian (cause yes some of the "JDM" engines are from Canada) beat the crap out of that engine for the supposed advertised 50-60k miles..

Bottom line is, you already have a 2JZ in your car, why order another one?! especially one that you are unaware of the abuse its seen, or lack of maintenance.

take my car for example, 9 psi on a street tune with an SAFC-2, and absolutely no issues, stock injectors and compression not to mention the stock auto trans running consistent mid 13's and spent less than $2k piecing the kit together..now going with a much larger turbo, new fuel management (temp till I go standalone) that should support to 500hp, and all that is holding me back is compression/fuel/transmission..once those are done, 5-600hp is easily achievable without the BS of sending off my harness, pulling one engine to put another one in its place, running the risk that its a junk abused Japanese/Canadian engine.

yes doing a swap MIGHT have some advantages (MAP based for one minor example), but what else? We all know the JDM twins are garbage, so add the price of going single to your swap, the auto trans that comes with them isnt that great, and hard to find a GOOD 5-speed 1J/2J, and if you want the 2J mated with a Getrag your pockets had better be deep.

go na-t, if you want an FFIM, get one later..want to go map? go with the Greddy EMU, AEM EMS, or once my review is done, possibly the MAFT Pro..a 2JZ is a 2JZ regardless where it came from, so why pay for another one when you already have one installed that will handle boost just fine..?
Old 02-17-10, 04:34 PM
cino21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread is perfect.. i'm looking at a few sc's in my area and couldn't decide between na-t or 2jzgte.. i'm a litle concerned about boosting a high mileage engine, but it seems to make more sense to rebuild the na engine for a single turbo rather than swap a 2jzgte and then dish out more money to eventually go single turbo.

Being that i'm not great with mechanical work myself.. lol.. i'm going to probably pay mvp motorsports to do the work
Old 02-17-10, 06:22 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats a street tune?
Old 02-17-10, 06:45 PM
krich425
Driver School Candidate

so is this kit that i have a link to below going to suck? i was planning on doing na-t swap soon and need to go the cheapest way possible i was thinking about buying a master rebuild kit off ebay as well before i did this since the car i have has over 200k miles or do i need to rebuild the engine. i am only planning on like 8 psi of boost. i factored it out and before any labor was done i could get the rebuild kit, the turbo manifold kit, intercooler, intercooler piping, and bov for about 1800

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...ht_3495wt_1026
Old 02-17-10, 06:49 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ashtray
whats a street tune?
Adjusting the settings while actually driving to correct afr's instead of doing it on a dyno..just have to be more attentive and careful

Originally Posted by krich425
so is this kit that i have a link to below going to suck? i was planning on doing na-t swap soon and need to go the cheapest way possible i was thinking about buying a master rebuild kit off ebay as well before i did this since the car i have has over 200k miles or do i need to rebuild the engine. i am only planning on like 8 psi of boost. i factored it out and before any labor was done i could get the rebuild kit, the turbo manifold kit, intercooler, intercooler piping, and bov for about 1800

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...ht_3495wt_1026

that looks like the XS Power kit, but it may not be..if you want a good na-t kit, piece your own together..if you want a decent one, go with the XS Power kit..head over to clubna-t.com and pm 98mkiv (Mark) and he will get you setup with everything.

Last edited by turbodremz; 02-17-10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 06:51 PM
krich425
Driver School Candidate

thank you for the fast response
Old 02-17-10, 06:55 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn i love this thread...its only making me more confident and happy and excited for my car 3 days!
Old 02-17-10, 06:56 PM
krich425
Driver School Candidate

Also would you say that a high mileage sc300 needs an engine rebuild before i boost it to 8-9psi? it seems logical but ive also heard people making over 800hp with stock internals.
Old 02-17-10, 06:59 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

thank you for the fast response
Also would you say that a high mileage sc300 needs an engine rebuild before i boost it to 8-9psi? it seems logical but ive also heard people making over 800hp with stock internals.
No problem..and it depends on how the mileage is..first thing is do a compression test, and maintenance MUST be up to par...and 800 on stock internals is possible, but thats when you really start dumping money into fuel/EM/Dyno time..baby steps, maintenance first, then na-t 6-9psi is safe on stock compression, anything else you need to lower compression or run meth injection..and the stock SC300 maf wont meter the voltage over 10psi IIRC..thats why Im switching to an MAFT Pro, then transmission/headgasket/fuel and up boost.

Originally Posted by ashtray
damn i love this thread...its only making me more confident and happy and excited for my car 3 days!

haha, sucks having to read all this stuff knowing you still have to wait just a couple of days..but its all good info
Old 02-17-10, 07:11 PM
krich425
Driver School Candidate

its like a little kid on christmas eve hahaha but i totally understand the excitement. And the mileage on the car is about 220000, it seems like it has been well taken care of since an olderman owned it before me he said he took it down to sacremento and back up (i live in washington state so that is down the whole west coast) but i think i would feel a bit more secure rebuilding the engine before just to be on the safe side of things. the rebuild kit i was going to get would include new pistons and rings, main bearings, rod bearings, timing belt,all gaskets and thrust washers etc.
Old 02-17-10, 07:22 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

yeah with those miles, it would be a good idea just to be safe. Just be sure when you rebuild, use good parts..you can get a set of TT Supra pistons/rings(OEM), ARP head studs, Gates Timing belt and your one step closer to holding higher amounts of boost, and it should keep you from having to remove the head later for a HG swap...or instead of the TT pistons, go with the OEM SC pistons/rings, and install a GOOD (Cometic, or HKS) 1.3 or 1.6mm headgasket during the rebuild and your ready to go from there.
Old 02-17-10, 07:31 PM
krich425
Driver School Candidate

i dont think i want to run over 9psi of boost for right now though since i only want about 330hp at the wheels and i dont want to have to go through the trouble of having to get a different transmission. like the other guy im just looking for a good daily driver that will smoke most the cars on the freeway and any ***** civic hahaha. But the main thing that limits my build is money i want to do this with a 220000 mile car. As long as a xs power kit works and is reliable at 300 to 400 hp i have no problem with the kit. and where would i find good pistons. are you saying that the pistons that come in an ebay kit would not be good? i know this is a lot of questions im just trying to do things right the first time
Old 02-17-10, 07:34 PM
krich425
Driver School Candidate

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOPLI...fAccessories#h

this is the kit i am looking at
Old 02-17-10, 07:39 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

looks decent, but hard to tell the quality without seeing it..look around for reviews on the quality of the kits and keep shopping for proven rebuild kits..never trust the ebay feedback especially when its listed in the product ad like that one..

Quick Reply: NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?